Deathmatch: Council Spoiler Thread

:eek: No defensive units? Care to elaborate on that?

EDIT: Oh, maybe the joke's on me, was that a pun on the Bears' (and BABE's) inability to bring any defensive units previously? :blush:

I'll post more screenshots tomorrow when I get a break.
The main news is in the Turn Tracker thread.

I've re-entered the Island! :clap:
Here's a shot from when my first Infantry set foot:

Amazing that he'd build that fortress on a hill, then leave it totally undefended!
Course, if he had diverted a few infantry, I might have been able to take that Mountain.

I tried bombing that tile first - but couldn't quite do it.
I could have hit it with one more bomber, and maybe have killed another infantry - but that would have left another bomber in a coastal town... and I really don't want to lose another bomber to frigates! :gripe:

Still - I killed 4 Infantry (360 more shields) with my bombers. Not too shabby.
I moved 2 that were out of range, into range... so next turn I'll have 12 Bombers ready to hit anywhere on the Center Isle.

10 Infantry (9 @ 4/4 and 1 @ 5/5) have been deployed into the Iron Hill Fortress.
Beorn's going to have a defensive nightmare on his hands... unless he has enough naval power in the area to sink my whole transport fleet :ack:

More tomorrow :sleep:

Well, I think he'll use some 30 arties over to redline your infantry and kill them with ACs - just because he can... :mischief:

But nevertheless, a good start to soften up the hardened fronts. :thumbsup:

Interesting...finally! :D

Too bad you could not cover your transports, cause I really think it would be advisable to land on one more spot the next turn or two, providing you have a sufficient amount that won't just be gobbled up.

Hopefully you can start picking off his injured units with bombers.

Can you guys, well just you W, get some flaks in the stacks on the iron hill?

I hope not!
I presume that we've seen most of Beorn's artillery in use in the counter-bombardment of Niklas. ie - about 7 artillery.
I assume he's got more... but I doubt he's got 23 more, or we would have seen them.

Marsden said:
Can you guys, well just you W, get some flaks in the stacks on the iron hill?
Yeah, I plan to send at least one (maybe 2?) over in the next wave.
Will depend on what kind of shape my stack is in, and what kind of transport capacity I have left.
I have 4 Flack's currently deployed, and will have 2 new ones next turn.

I did cover my transport fleet with 2 Frigates. Should have been 4 Frigates, but I misclicked :blush:
Anyway - I've got the cash to rush a transport next turn if I need to.

Other misc. clean-up note: Fighters apparently have an operational range of 6.
Does that mean that on patrol they'll cover 3?
That wouldn't be too shabby. I'll have my first fighter ready to go next turn.

You should have taken a guerrila or 2 with the infantry stack to allow for defensive bombards.

How long till Marines?

= Turn 230 =

Headline News:
I’ve invaded the Center Island

Front #1: The Southern Pass:
Bombardment continues as usual… I take most of the infantry for the frontlines away from here. This makes me a little nervous, but I position 2 Flack Guns in the barricade to beef up defense there a little bit.

I have 16 Infantry and some misc muskets left to defend. In a barricade on a forest tile – that should still prove to be quite the obstacle.

Front #2: The Northern Pass:
Whomp moved a second Musket into the barricade protecting his rail line into Perf’s Avatar. :sad: … so I had to abandon my hopes for pillaging all his access to that city. I did opt for taking out his rail and roads in the tile next to that.
It cost me 2 explorers (which I was able to disband to prevent capture) – but I think it was worth it, to prevent Beorn from moving units up there close by. Now only Whomp has access to the North pass, since Beorn won’t be able to move through Whomp’s rail blocks.

Front #3: The Center Sea:
Here was all the action!

Massive bombardment of the Gems mountain killed off 4 more Roman Infantry and redlined the rest.
I invaded with 10 infantry, and now hold a barricade on the Iron Hill +150% defense :thumbsup:
I captured for workers, which I loaded back onto my transports.

My transports used up all their movement to reach that tile, and thus were unable to retreat to safety. I covered them with 2 Frigates… but goofed on the other 2 frigates. Ugh. Anyway - Beorn has a lot of targets to shoot at. The real danger is going to come from Whomp who can move up a bunch of artillery to Perf’s Avatar and bomb my whole fleet to sticks. Then the question becomes how much naval power do they have in the area to actually sink boats?

In hindsight, I should have rushed a transport in Kraken Killer… I’ll do that next turn.
I’m really hoping at least 1 or 2 transports survive to haul reinforcements over. If not, my infantry will just have to hold out 1 more turn on their own. :ack:

Front #4: The Big Ocean:
Well – turns out Beorn has a fleet of at least 4 Frigates and a Cruiser in the big ocean. That smells a lot like a coastal bombardment fleet.

They took out my only eyes in the big ocean… so they could be anywhere.
I reprioritize builds along my East coast – I’m working on 4 Destroyers now.
I also assigned some workers to build fortification on my coastal luxury resources. You might want to do the same, Niklas. Give ourselves a little extra protection from Bombardment and riots. :ack:

The Empire Update:
Science stays at 90% - Mass Production on track for turn 304.

Here’s what I’m working on:

Here’s my thinking on the builds. Any insight/criticism is appreciated:
  • Bombers: These are a priority right now, and most of my high spt towns are working on them. I only get 1 more next turn, then 2 more, then 2 more. Is this enough? Too much?
  • Flak Guns: I’m also trying to rapidly build up on these to cover key assets from counter-attack. I’ve got 4 currently. 2 More will complete next turn, and then by turn 304 I’ll have 9 of them. Since the Bears are behind us in building bombers – I’m hoping that will be enough to deter them from attacking key points?
  • Fighters: I only this turn started building any. By diverting one flak build and spending 50 gold to rush I’ll get 1 right away next turn. I’ve got 3 more in production – but only one completes in the next 5 turns if I don’t rush any. How important should these be?
  • Destroyers: I ditched a few Flak builds in order to get some sea power going. I may need to rush some of these builds in order to combat Beorn’s fleet. I really don’t want to have to deal with losing productive tiles every turn. Once I can take out that cruiser, I can potentially use bombers to defend my waters.
  • Other:I’ve got a few worker builds in my non-productive towns, basically I need to beef up my worker force to get ready to repair bomber damage and/or build airports and/or build fortresses to defend my coastal tiles. I’ve also got that transport build going in Kraken Killer in case I lose my whole transport fleet this turn. I’ve also got a handful of explorer builds to basically use as disbanding shield fodder to help rush things as needed. (awesome for putting shields in a bit to save the penalty for rushing walls in a new city with no shields accumulated yet, etc).

Here’s a special wide-screen composite shot of the world for you:

Bear Update
  • My military is Strong to Beorn / Average to Whomp / Strong to Niklas
  • Whomp has flight now. Beorn will presumably get it this turn.
  • 24% of the world's citizens are Sumerian. (Top rival = Whomp at 27%)
  • I control 19% of the world’s land (Top rival = Whomp at 18%)

Long Range Planning
Any more thoughts on handing the center island invasion?
Comments on my build plans?

@Hasdrubal - I've never been clear on how guerrillas work. Do they get repeated defensive bombardments? If not, they seem like a total waste of shields vs. Infantry to me. I've never ever built one. Also, re: Marines. I'm not sure we're even going to bother with that tech at this point. Is there some reason you think it'd be useful?

Make marines and cavs and invade from the ocean while you distract them on the center island = game over. :D

Guerrilas:
- don´t need rubber
- defensive bombard 3 (which can be deadly vs cavalry)
- defense 6, on a barricade, 12
- upgrades from MDI´s
- upgrades to Tow infantry
- stacked on infantry block will increase chance of infantry promotions and leader fishing.
- also stacked on an infantry block they will always fire their defensive bombard of 3 since they will prob never apear on top of the stack to be killed;
- diverts enemy fire from other important units.
- can take out wounded units.

defensive bombard 3
I'm sorry for my noob-ness here, but does that mean they get 3 defensive bombardments? Or they get 3 attempts on a single try?

Other misc. clean-up note: Fighters apparently have an operational range of 6.
Does that mean that on patrol they'll cover 3?
That wouldn't be too shabby. I'll have my first fighter ready to go next turn.

Augh! My mistake .Yes, you are correct.

I'm sorry for my noob-ness here, but does that mean they get 3 defensive bombardments? Or they get 3 attempts on a single try?

No, in Civ 3 no unit gets more than one defensive bombard per turn. I don't know the exact mechanics of the system, however. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could inform us?

On a side note:
You should include / keep at least one mobile SAM in any naval stack to defend against bombers.

News in bulletin form:

* We scared 5 cities to death on the center island. :dance: I have air surveillance footage, but I don't have time to post it right now.

* I have completed my first new Army. :evil:

* 3 turns to Atomic Theory, still at 0%.

* I misclicked a Frigate in the Beligerent Ocean, so instead of seeking safe harbor it will surely be sent to the bottom by Beorn. :undecide:

General? Wouldn't be better to pound something with artillery and then finish it off with bombers? Bombing a square in the fog might not help too much, but you might have some diabolical plan that I can not discern.

I'll try to find time for a full update here in the next day or so.

But yeah, Marsden, you're generally correct of course.
My problem was no artillery in range of anything (will be different next turn) and lack of really good targets for my bombers.

I initially hopped that the bombers would show what's underneath - or that I'd at least see what I was hitting. lol - not so in C3C obviously!

Even after I figgured out that wasn't going to work - I kept it up because that seemed like the most likely place for any of Beorn's boats or planes to be hiding - and since you explained that I get to shoot at those first, I figgured - what the heck! :D

... have some diabolical plan that I can not discern.

I see. Good luck sinking ships.

Has either of you thought about getting espionage?

= Turn 233 =

Headline News:
I’ve got a city on the Center Island
Mass Production is due next turn.

Front #1: The Southern Pass:
Bombardment continues as usual… I’m feeling a little understaffed in the south due to shifting resources to the center isle… but I’m still going to be a tough nut to crack down there…

Front #2: The Northern Pass:
All Quiet.

Front #3: The Center Sea:
The action continues to focus here.

I’ve pretty much devastated Beorn’s two remaining cities, scared the rest to death, and now have my one city and Barricade stronghold. I’m protected by Flack Guns, and have pretty solid forces. I’m still not sure how much of Beorns army is holed up there in Goldfish, but Exospecter is down to a single ¼ Horseman. It would be completely empty… except the RNG freaked out on me and I mishandled my early bombing runs a bit. I didn’t think it was going to matter – but my bomber pilots suddenly decided to stop boming units and start going after citizens and infrastructure. LoL

If Beorn doesn’t abandon Exospecter (as expected) next turn, I’ve moved 2 Cavalry into range that can take it out. I’ll just burn it, I won’t be able to hold it.

Front #4: The Big Ocean:
Beorn has a fleet of at least 4 Frigates and a Cruiser in the big ocean. That smells a lot like a coastal bombardment fleet… but I haven’t seen anything from it for the last 3 turns. Very odd.

I’ll have another destroyer soon… then I’m hoping to get a better look at what’s going on.

The Empire Update:
Science stays at 90% - Mass Production on track for next turn 304.
I turn some scientists into taxmen, but leave myself a nice cushion incase I get bombed.

I’m disturbed to see my GNP drop to 2nd place. What is Whomp doing?! My army is still just average compared to him.

Bear Update
  • My military is Strong to Beorn / Average to Whomp / Strong to Niklas
  • We are at tech parity with the Bears
  • 24% of the world's citizens are Sumerian. (Top rival = Whomp at 27%)
  • I control 19% of the world’s land (Top rival = Whomp at 18%)

Long Range Planning
Any more thoughts on handing the center island invasion?

@Niklas – what are you planning on here militarily? Things are going ok for now… are you planning on just waiting for tanks to make any kind of push?

Top Bottom