Debugging Help (mod mergers)

Right click the shortcut, press properties, and select "run as administrator. I "think" that's your problem.

I'm running Windows XP, and I clicked on "run as..."; there was no option for properties, but I saw the option to select a different user. I don't have an administrator user option there; there's only my username. fyi....I don't log in as any user when I turn my computer on--it's all automatic if that means anything.

Thanks for trying, Legionare!

Any other ideas, anybody?

What version of LoR are you trying to play? If it's 0.9.8c (the current one), I'd appreciate it if you help me debug this. Very strange behavior you are reporting here, and the fact that it's effecting both LoR and FFH2, which are very stable mods, means your problem is uncommon. Especially since the main title menu isn't displaying correctly, that leads one to conclude there is a problem with the executable, and that shouldn't happen, as us modders can't touch that.

@ Ori:
could you move this to the BUG mod forums? I think only Emperor Fool could help debug this. Optimally it would be nice to append to this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=347111

@ Epsilor:
Please turn on Python exceptions in your main BtS config file. The BtS config file can be found by going into your main BtS folder, there should then be a shortcut that is called _Civ4Config, this links directly to the BtS ini file. In it find these lines:
Code:
; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
HidePythonExceptions = 1
; Create a dump file if the application crashes
GenerateCrashDumps = 0

; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 0
And enable them by changing the 1 to a 0 and the 0s to 1s (this will turn on python exceptions and log them).

After doing that, download and install the BUG mod, install it as a mod (the multiplayer option, not the "recommended" option). See if the BUG mod, installed as a mod, causes the same issue, and we'll go from there.

And enable them by changing the 1 to a 0 and the 0s to 1s (this will turn on python exceptions and log them).

After doing that, download and install the BUG mod, install it as a mod (the multiplayer option, not the "recommended" option). See if the BUG mod, installed as a mod, causes the same issue, and we'll go from there.

Yes, I'm using LoR version 0.9.8c, and I'll be glad to help you out. I installed BUG Mod 4.2; it loaded fine and the menu appeared on the title screen. I started a game just to make sure, and BUG's interface appeared to be working great.

fyi...I'll be off the grid until Sunday, but I'll definitely check back here then and see if you've had time to consider this more. Thanks!

:hmm:

That's interesting, I wonder what could cause the main title screen to fail for LoR and FFH2, but not BUG. Are you sure you installed as a mod (multiplayer option), and not using the recommended method?

Anyway since that failed, please make the ini file changes I posted above. Then start up LoR and then post your the log files that have the word Python in them here.

Try clearing your Civ4 cache. I think you hold down SHIFT while launching the game (you should see no "cached" text in the loading messages), but I'm not positive.

When you reinstalled everything, did you try loading each mod along the way to figure out which mod messes it up? What I mean is, reinstalled all of BTS; launch game; install mod A and launch game; install mod B and launch game; . . . This will help narrow it down to a particular mod that is causing the problem.

Does uninstalling any mods fix the problem? All of the mods files should be self-contained in separate folders, so there should be no way for one mod to affect the normal game.

Are you auto-loading any mod in CivilizationIV.ini? If so, set "Mods" to 0 in that file.

:hmm:

That's interesting, I wonder what could cause the main title screen to fail for LoR and FFH2, but not BUG. Are you sure you installed as a mod (multiplayer option), and not using the recommended method?

Yes, when I installed the BUG you asked me to, I installed the multiplayer option.

Anyway since that failed, please make the ini file changes I posted above. Then start up LoR and then post your the log files that have the word Python in them here.

Attached are the files. Let me know if these are the wrong files; I've never done this before. I found these files by clicking on _Civ4Logs in the BTS folder. Also, there was a file called "PythonErr," but it was empty. I looked at the attached log files (out of curiosity more than anything) and noticed a lot of the python paths were from the Warlords folder. Is there any reason why these paths aren't coming from the BTS folder?

Let me know if you need me to attach more files. I appreciate your help.

Try clearing your Civ4 cache. I think you hold down SHIFT while launching the game (you should see no "cached" text in the loading messages), but I'm not positive.

I tried this; no luck.

When you reinstalled everything, did you try loading each mod along the way to figure out which mod messes it up? What I mean is, reinstalled all of BTS; launch game; install mod A and launch game; install mod B and launch game; . . . This will help narrow it down to a particular mod that is causing the problem.

Does uninstalling any mods fix the problem? All of the mods files should be self-contained in separate folders, so there should be no way for one mod to affect the normal game.

I initially thought the Star Trek mod may have been the culprit because it was the only mod that I downloaded that used custom assets, and I thought (perhaps without any logic) that that may have caused the problem. However, when I reinstalled BTS, I installed LoR and not the other mods, and I still had the problem. I didn't try this total reinstall with every other mod (i.e. reinstall BTS and then one mod only), but I feel like replicating the problem with only a BTS + LoR reinstall was enough. If there is somehow a mod interrupting another mod's performance, then I think it would have to be coming from a prepackaged mod from the BTS install.

I'll be glad to do another reinstall with BTS + other mods if you believe that can give us some insight.

Are you auto-loading any mod in CivilizationIV.ini? If so, set "Mods" to 0 in that file.

I checked this; "Mod" was already set to 0.

Attachments

• PythonDbg.doc
    48.5 KB · Views: 67
  • PythonErr2.doc
    37.5 KB · Views: 58
Yes, definitely running BTS 3.19.

I wasn't sure how to attach an .xml file, so I converted it to a word file. Please let me know if there's a better way to save and send this info to you.

Attachments

• GlobalDefines.doc
    154 KB · Views: 66
What language are you set to?

Unfortunately then i have no idea. The only time I've seen reports of the main menu screen not working was when the language was set to something not in the XML, though with LoR and FFH2 all default languages are supported, so it was a longshot.

One last thing you can try is download this zipped version of RevDCM:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=325253

Extract it to your mods folder, and see if it works when you load that mod. I doubt it though, but I can't see what is different about it then BUG (assuming you installed BUG as a mod, ie the multiplayer option, and not the recommended option); so I'm at a loss as to how it couldn't work, but BUG can.

It works now! Although I'm not sure how...

I did a BTS reinstall, but noticed that all of the mods (including LoR) were still in the BTS folder after the BTS reinstall and before I reinstalled the mods (I don't understand why)! So I deleted those mods, reinstalled them, and they all now work. :confused:

Thank you, Phungus and EF, for your help! :hatsoff:

Top Bottom