Defence Pacts- How Do They Work?

Cicerosaurus

Emperor
I'm playing as Sejong. Nebby has been aggressive all game. On the other side of him is Montezeuma who is pretty powerful.

On turn 279 I sign a Defensive pact with Monty.

On turn 292 Babylon attacks me. However, Monty does not declare war on Babylon.

Is there some slippery clause that makes a Defensive pact worthless?

Never mind. Monty attacked Egypt two turns before Babylon went for me. Hence the pact was nullified.

For a game so happy at throwing useless diplomacy pop-ups in your face, it is annoying that it does not bother showing the kind of stuff you actually want/need to know about!

Also, I had a defensive pact with a minor civ I wanted to protect. Two civs went to war with it, but I am only at war with one of them... Why is that? Is the DP cancelled before the second civ attacks?! If so, that sucks, because that mean I will have to declare war on the other Ahole, and have all the other civs whine about how much of a war mongerer I am... :crazyeye:

A general word of warning on defensive pacts:

Sign one and then have your ally be DOWed upon, forcing you into a war, and you get a warmonger penalty :/

Sort of ridiculous given that a defensive pact signifies the exact opposite of warmongering.

Thanks for the advice guys. Just a warning though- this thread is a zombie- I started it in 2012.

I agree with what both mrwho and ossmobilus state though.

Short answer; They dont. :p
The mechanic is broken and Firaxis dont care enough to fix it.

Thanks for the advice guys. Just a warning though- this thread is a zombie- I started it in 2012.

Well, I was too lazy to create my own. Since it's still an issue, I don't see how it matters:goodjob: Everything will turn zombie at this rate, when the devs don't bother fixing stupid things...

i learned a long time ago never do a DP, i did one with 2 civs once and BAM i was at war with the whole world and lost.

Top Bottom