Democracies and War

daveinva

Chieftain
When playing as a democracy, I've never once had my Congress approve my continuing a war once an enemy sues for peace. Every time, Congress overrules me (that's some War Powers Act they got there ;-).

If that's working as designed, how nice it would have been for the designers to let us players in on that secret, that an enemy suing for peace *always* stops your war.

Any ever see anything different?

BTW, does this tactic work in MP? I can imagine that'd make being a democracy real frustrating.

They've never made me accept anything other than mutual peace. I haven't had to accept stopping the war for something from me in return.

If that's working as designed, how nice it would have been for the designers to let us players in on that secret, that an enemy suing for peace *always* stops your war.

It says it right in the civilopedia. Also the adviser says it when you highlight it as the option of your government prior to actually selecting it.

I usually always use Democracy. I can take a turn of anarchy to re-start a war if necessary.

Ditto. It's pretty easy to work around the disadvantage from democracy - just go to anarchy if you want to declare war. Anarchy doesn't last long enough in Rev to make a huge impact, imo.

I like to fight wars under democracy. :) The aggressive AI on higher levels means players can enjoy all the benefits of democracy and still fight wars all over the world.

I must've missed the Civilopedia reference-- I was just going on the tech description, which says you can't *start* wars, nothing about being unable to continue them if another civ asks for peace.

Uh well if you switch to democracy it says that you won't be able to declare war. Democracy actually is a very good tool in the game. Unless you are going for a domination victory, you will want to get democracy as quickly as possible. It really helps if you are going for a tech or economic victory, and even though you can't declare war on someone else, if someone attacks you, you can use military units to beat them into submission until they finally give in.

You have to accept peace as long as the enemy don't demand anything from you. If you cann't declare war it also makes sense if you are forced to accept a fair peace too.

When playing as a democracy, I've never once had my Congress approve my continuing a war once an enemy sues for peace. Every time, Congress overrules me (that's some War Powers Act they got there ;-).

I'm going [offtopic] slightly, just to say it is a good thing this is they way our democracy works in real life...oh...wait...

:ar15:

I'm going [offtopic] slightly, just to say it is a good thing this is they way our democracy works in real life...oh...wait...

:ar15:

I get the point you're trying to make, but remember Congress (The People - CivRev reference) approved it.

Top Bottom