Demogame III discussion

I should try getting the Game of Republic (more team based than citizentry based), and some sort of team clock like the MSDG.

Originally posted by Shaitan
I have asked Thunderfall about the feasability of a multi-team demogame. It is possible but not yet. When the Forums are upgraded to vb3 we can do it. That is expected to be ready in a month or two.

Do we start a new game when that time comes or do we make a seperate game and run both at the same time???

Shaitan, it may be a good idea to create a seperate intra-site DG thread. Personally, I don't think it'll work. We have a lot of American players only able to play in the EST afternoons, making save-passing a long process.

We really should stick the 1.29f for our DG. We want all to participate, not just a few who bother to buy what is more than likely a rather expansion.

Yes, the next demogame will start as soon as this one is completed and the particulars for the game are started. We'll be using Civ3 1.29.

If anybody wishes to discuss a PTW team game please start another thread.

I just wanted to weigh in on this before it gets summarily dismissed, and I'm sorry for not posting it earlier....

I still think that we should put the issue of which version of Civ to use to a vote. After all, using PTW would not preclude anyone from participating in discussions or from voting in a poll. The only thing it would really exclude someone from doing would be actually playing the game (ie. serving as Designated Player).

Additionally, if I recall correctly, one of our standard debate questions has been whether or not a candidate owned a copy of Civ3 fully patched to 1.29f. This question implies that at times, we have had participants in the game that for one reason or another did not have the latest version of the game installed.

Putting the issue to a vote would be the truly democratic thing to do. PTW has some distinct improvements that would be a shame not to implement in the next DG. If we are not to step up to the next version, then we should at least strongly consider modifying the rules to incorporate most of those changes.

Originally posted by FortyJ
I just wanted to weigh in on this before it gets summarily dismissed, and I'm sorry for not posting it earlier....

I still think that we should put the issue of which version of Civ to use to a vote. After all, using PTW would not preclude anyone from participating in discussions or from voting in a poll. The only thing it would really exclude someone from doing would be actually playing the game (ie. serving as Designated Player).

Additionally, if I recall correctly, one of our standard debate questions has been whether or not a candidate owned a copy of Civ3 fully patched to 1.29f. This question implies that at times, we have had participants in the game that for one reason or another did not have the latest version of the game installed.

Putting the issue to a vote would be the truly democratic thing to do. PTW has some distinct improvements that would be a shame not to implement in the next DG. If we are not to step up to the next version, then we should at least strongly consider modifying the rules to incorporate most of those changes.

It is quite impossible to really grasp what is going on without being able to view the save. Also, I am guessing that more people have PTW than don't, and it is likely any poll would be miscontrued by many to be asking them which version they have.

Originally posted by FortyJ

I'm just wondering: Is it actually POSSIBLE to be a governor, military, domestic, FA, or trade advisor without downloading the save? I think that that is HIGHLY unlikely.

@Forty - Yes, there were people who couldn't open the save in Leadership positions. Specifically the Science department. It was a time when it didn't matter what the candidate had or didn't have, that candidate was going to win. I put the question in the debates myself so I would know who not to vote for if any of the higher offices had candidates without Civ3 1.29 ready to go.

What leadership positions besides Judicial do you think somebody could effectively handle without being able to look at the save game? President is definitely out. All governor spots are out. Domestic is out. Foreign and Trade are definitely out. Military is out. I guess somebody could bumble through Culture if good maps were supplied, guessing or trying to keep track of what city had what improvement. Science is apparently acceptable when you can't see the game though I personally wouldn't vote for such a candidate.

In any case, no reason for PTW has been offered. Yes it has certain improvements. Which ones are the deal makers here? What improvements are important enough to disenfranchise players?

I think that we should go for Civ3 v1.29. It would allow everyone who is currently playing Demogame II to join in the third demogame. And I agree with Forty that it should be put to a poll, as long as it is very clear what each citizen is voting for.

I think we should play with 1.29 as it is the only thing that would be fair to everybody... I really dont see why we are dicudding this since it would be very unfair over the civ3 players that doesnt have ptw and to say that we should use ptw when not all have it, would be very selfish... We have few players now, but it would be even fewer if we change to PTW. Those who want to play PTW can join the MSDG. They have ptw there and that should be enough... There is a lof of advantages with ptw, but many of theese would be gone if we for example used the DYP by Kal-el. This would add a tonn of units, a lots of civs, a lots of recources and a lots of more gameplay. That would be a really great demogame..

As stated before there won't be a poll for using PTW until somebody can state a specific reason why it is needed. Some concrete thing that PTW offers that is more valuable than the players we would lose by going to that version. From posts in the forum and PMs I have received we will lose an absolute minimum of 4 players if we go to PTW. 3 of the 4 are current/previous Leaders.

The info polls have done their work and general desired have been revealed. Some things had overwhelming support and need only to be ratified officially, some need official polls to determine which of several popular items wins and some need detailed discussion. Here are the results and links to the followup threads:

Confirmation Only LINK To Poll
Land Mass - Random
Climate - Random
World Age - Random
# Opponents - Per world size default

Decision Poll Needed (Hyperlinks are to new decision poll)
World Size - Average, Large, Huge
Barbarians - Roaming, Restless, Raging, Random
World Type - Archipelago or Continents
Difficulty Level - Regent or Monarch
Civ Traits/Civilization - Industrious, Religious, Scientific (Persians, Babylonians or Egyptians)
Options - Specify Some

Discussion Needed
Demogame Rules - Bring over everything
Game Rules - Tinker

...but I'll ask it anyway. I took a look at the demogame stuff earlier and was kind of interested in joining, esp. now since you're just starting a new one. Only problem is, if you're using 1.29 and I'm stuck with the mac 1.21g version, I can't open the save, correct? This would mean that until (unless?) we get the latest patch the same things mentioned about the 1.29->PTW transition would apply, and it would be hard to participate fully, yes? So do you think it's worth it to try and join? Any mac players now in the demogame? Opinions would be welcome,
Thanks

Yes, there is a mac player - Stuck_as_a_Mac. :)

Mac players can fully be a part of the game, by downloading a pc emulator from the net.. With it you can run for example windows xp and install civ3 or PTW as a pcprogram and then you can use the latest patches for the pc version..

Top Bottom