Demogame RPG for DG3

Chieftess

Retired Moderator
Here's a discussion for the RPG in DG3. Should we keep it as is? Change anything? I think it should be more game related. That is, the game affects the RPG, not the RPG affects the game. Take for instance the Volcano Thread. That was ok since it was the end of the game, but new land featuress shouldn't be popping up midgame.

Another thing I'd like to see is the game actually "limiting" RPG storylines. By that, I mean, we should be able to have access to the resources before we start to use them. The same also goes for techs. That means no going out to islands when you can't reach them by galley.

I'd also like to see more city and province threads in the RPG. True, they're in the governors subforum, but those are more game based. These threads would be "province/local sponsered events" and such. This is what I think the RPG was meant to be. Not some semi-D&D style RPG twisted for the Demogame.

just one addition: there is a thread in the rpg-subforum with a similar topic which is already going offtopic. if we now start additional threads on the same topic we wont do anything with the rules until the dg3 starts and as such have the same problems as with the rpg-start this game: rulechanges in midgame... :-(
so we should really concentrate on one thread to discuss the changes we should implement in the rpg for next game.

EDIT:
maybe this here is the right forum for it for open discussion to attract also the non-rpg'ers ;-)

so here are the points i think need to be changed:

1) tech enforcement
only known techs... and one rpg-manager to approove all items which are introduced into the rpg BEFOREHAND for tech-conformance (the item manager?). this also includes storylines.
only exceptions: bank and land-sales. but these are necessary for organizing our nation.
example: no share should be given out before economics, but true business partnership can be used instead (giving parts of real ownership to others with all rights)

2) character features
if a character, wether npc or real player, wants to use a feature which is not covered by anything existing in the rpg (for example wants to become a vampire or something) also a manager has to approove this (if for example somebody wants to become a vampire and somehow manages to get this approoved, he may add the feature of "flying" to his character)

3) no opting out of the conflict rules
if somebody wants land, he has to take the consequence of having to build an army to defend it. so sneaking away from this should not be possible

4) land-block advantages
the earning-per-tile for land ownings should be drastically reduced. instead, we should use earning-multipliers for "land-blocks".
example: for each 4x4 block, the earnings are doubled, for each 6x6 block the earnings are trippled, for each 10x10 block the earnings are multiplied by 4.

5) character death
it should be possible to have children and to die... but this may need tuning and work during the game itself as it is a pretty new concept

6) banning of dg2 names and referrences
all references and names of dg2 should be banned in dg3

Yes, but it is attracting non-RPGers, like me. The RPG has been almost completely seperate from the standard demogame from the view of an outsider.

I think I will join in the RPG this term.

I want a revival of the good olde RPG where it was interesting stories and stuff, not the business rules and such, the RPG shouldn't have so many rules and such, I never really had much fun with the DG2 RPG I still remonince of the good olde DG1 RPG where it was interesting, instead of just an economy simulation.

I agree with Chieftess and Falcon, less economy driven game, more role playing. About the land sales. The title of lands where not given to the masses, oficially, until well into the renaisance, that would be around the discovery of the printing press (zenith of the movement) before that, if you want land you have to get it and defend it. Form little kingdoms if you want and defend them against other kingdoms, be more creative don't just use money as a way of garanting the titles, last rpg game I couldn't get any land beacuse the auctions where held at times not available to me, kinda frustraiting.
Now, If you want to be a vampire, then you're a vampire, end of story. Character qualities like that are not affected or affect the tech tree. We still have many witches and wizards in present day 21 century "modern" times, why should the prg be any diferent?

EA

I think you should become any character you wish, within certain limits. You could be a Jedi from 4000BC, but you couldn't really do much for a while - you would be an average warrior until the laser and space flight were invented.

I rather like the idea of an army of Gingerbread Men to defend my kingdom :D.

ehec:
yep. my words... only specific abilities requested for the character (for example undead status etc.) need approoval imho (otherwise anybody could implement any character feature which would be pretty unfair), same with objects (they can not just appear in our world... they have to be made and "realistic")

Top Bottom