Destroying bombers ?

Originally posted by Jimcat
Heh heh heh... <pictures some 1940's style mechanics tinkering at a propeller plane to strap a jet engine onto it... "Now we just rivet some extra sheet aluminum onto the wings here, and you got yer jet fighter, all ready to go.">

:lol: :lol:

Don't think of it as actually upgrading the fighters by straping on new parts; think of it as retooling the factory.

How about a galleon upgrading to a transport? Or a catapult upgrading to a cannon? Now those are ridiculous.

If memory serves me correct, while a propellor pulls, a jet uses a diffuser to dramatically increase the pressure, then kick it out the back (a rocket contains the air already) at high velocity. you could modify a craft to carry jet engines, but you need room for the nozzle. a p-38 would probably be easier to convert than a p-51, but my guess is the engines would have trouble fitting in the space.
what pisses me off is having those ^&*(^ propeller bombers flying around against jet fighters (ok, so they are bear bombers)

i want b-52s and backfire bombers.

you upgrade the catapult by adding a barrell and removing the arm. the galleon, well, civ traditional upgrade (if you have leo's place)

Always have fighters ready when you wish to bombard an enemy civ. Set some of them to Air Superiority, and use others to bomb first. They'll most likely fail their bombing run, but they will draw enemy fighters to dogfight your fighters. You'll most likely win. Then send the bombers, free from pesky fighters on air superiority.

And yes, I have seen the AI utilise both.

I love the air war system in civ3. Put a couple of fighters/jet fighters on air superiority missions in the towns that are near the area being bombed by the AI and you're all set. :goodjob:

I haven't experienced this until my last game! I had just captured one city on another continent. Persia sent a lot of troops to wipe me out & failed (but it was too damn close for comfort) after losing 35 to 45 units or so, they started bombing the crap out of me, After that I changed my F-15's ( I play the Americans) to airsuperiority. The next turn started & the air war began. Persia lost 6 bomers, before they got wise & started to bomb the Indians. My F-15's didn't have their paint scratched! Persia realized the futility & offered Peace, next turn. Now, (25 turns later) Persia is mine, & I just need to conquer Japan to win the game!

I never thought about using fighters on bombing runs to go in ahead of my bombers to draw engagements with opposing fighters. That's a good trick. I'm a fan of bombardment and prefer bombers since their operational range is much easier to use tactically and strategically than hauling one-move artillery around with my tank/mech infantry stacks.

And yes, the AI has a healthy respect for your air superiority radi … it tends to not throw bombers into those areas, but it will sometimes.

Top Bottom