Destructoid hands-on preview - 12th of Aug

I have put hundreds of hours into Civ IV and I actually thought CivRev was a fun game. Was it as deep and rewarding as Civ IV? Hell no. But it was charming in it's own way, and my son really got into it (age 9) and as such I like it for those qualities. It also introduced some very cool concepts, like how each Civ gets a unique ability unlock at each of the four eras, on top of the unique buildings and units they can create. it's a satisfying game, but it DESPERATELY should have shipped with Hot Seat.

The game was okay, but that feature would have actually made it worth the money i payed for it.

Damn, you are so enlightened and edgy and cool for not liking Civ Rev. Ahh, at least it's comforting to know that it doesn't matter which forum I am posting on, elitists are always the same. Yup, his credibility and taste in games must OBVIOUSLY be taken with a grain of salt because he liked a video game that you didn't like.
I think even Revolution's strongest proponents would have to admit that it was a very, very simplified game. When the author asserts that Civ V is not dumbed-down, the fact that he liked Revolution most certainly affects his credibility.

And I didn't like Revolution because I didn't like it. I received it as a gift, and played it with no expectations, but wasn't interested by it enough to finish a single game. If that opinion is somehow personally offensive to you... well, too bad.

Damn, you are so enlightened and edgy and cool for not liking Civ Rev.

Ahh, at least it's comforting to know that it doesn't matter which forum I am posting on, elitists are always the same.

Yup, his credibility and taste in games must OBVIOUSLY be taken with a grain of salt because he liked a video game that you didn't like.

lol owned

But keep in mind the site you are on: fans here share statistical regressions and excel spreadsheets about things I've never even thought about. Maybe that's why I get destroyed on anything past Monarch in Civ4, but then again, frankly I don't care

I think even Revolution's strongest proponents would have to admit that it was a very, very simplified game. When the author asserts that Civ V is not dumbed-down, the fact that he liked Revolution most certainly affects his credibility.

And I didn't like Revolution because I didn't like it. I received it as a gift, and played it with no expectations, but wasn't interested by it enough to finish a single game. If that opinion is somehow personally offensive to you... well, too bad.

yes, I'm sure you meant all that when you simply said:

The dude liked Civilization Revolution. 'Nuff said.

I never played Civ Rev so I'm not personally offended by any of this and even if I had and was a fan I still wouldn't be offended. I am, however, outraged that someone would dismiss the opinions of another person regarding Civ V because they "liked Civilization Revolution".

When the author asserts that Civ V is not dumbed-down, the fact that he liked Revolution most certainly affects his credibility.

In what way does that affect his credibility?

I like Plants vs. Zombies, does this make me my opinions on Civilization less credible too? Plants vs. Zombies is very simple compared to Civ, afterall. I liked Bioshock, does that mean you won't trust my opinions on System Shock 2? It was a simplified spiritual successor. I don't understand the basis for your argument that liking a simplified iteration of a complex game somehow makes your opinion on the complex game less credible.

Liking the simplified game does not mean you are ignorant or somehow oblivious to the fact that it IS simplified.

'Nuff said.

lol owned

But keep in mind the site you are on: fans here share statistical regressions and excel spreadsheets about things I've never even thought about. Maybe that's why I get destroyed on anything past Monarch in Civ4, but then again, frankly I don't care

Or maybe you're just bad at the game?

No, everyone who is good at civ has Asperger's and makes graphs and spreadsheets, thats why they win. It's not your own lack of intelligence.

lol owned

Just to make it clear, I don't agree at all with this guy.

In fact, his opinion is just as outrageous as Arioch's, in my opinion.

On one hand, you have someone saying that liking Civilization Revolution makes your opinion on more complex games suspect. On the other hand, you have this guy saying fans of the more complex strategy games are spread-sheet wielding dorks.

Moral of the story: It's hard to find a moderate opinion on internet forums.

Great. Then you have no idea what you're talking about.
I don't find you arrogant or anything, but the author didn't say he "liked" CivRev, as if it were a true civilization game. He said "I personally enjoyed the change of pace that Civ Rev brought with it, while fully recognizing that it lacked the same depth and strategy of its PC lineage. It’s also one of the best games out there for the iPhone." That was the extent of his CivRev reference.

He enjoyed the change of pace. He said it lacked depth and strategy. He said it's one of the best iPhone games. I may have misunderstood your initial post dismissing this guy's taste, but I don't think you can interpret what he wrote to mean "CivRev is on par with the PC Civ games".

I've never played CivRev on anything but my iTouch, but it is a pretty damned good iTouch/iPhone game.

Arioch, you're a bit out of line here.

Its possible for someone to enjoy both simple games and complex games. Liking the simple game doesn't mean they're stupid, or are unable to have a reasonable opinion about a more complex game.

Now, if the guy said something like "Civ5 isn't dumbed down because its just as complex as CivRev", then we could dismiss it. But liking CivRev on its own isn't sufficient reason to necessarily immediately discount anything someone has to say. Does he claim that CivRev isn't a simple game?

No, buddy. In your zeal to be snarky, you over-simplified the reviewer's comment, and got called on it. After which you've been doubling down on every reply, rather than considering the substance of the replies.

Arioch needs a hug, or a nice tasty hit of Civ5. Cuz he's always been so helpful and friendly! Seeing all those images as he does everyday when working on his website (best Civ5 resource on the internet) must really be giving him the shakes. :) It's alright man, just 6 weeks to go! Maybe only 3 or 4 til the demo!

Damn, you are so enlightened and edgy and cool for not liking Civ Rev.

Ahh, at least it's comforting to know that it doesn't matter which forum I am posting on, elitists are always the same.

Yup, his credibility and taste in games must OBVIOUSLY be taken with a grain of salt because he liked a video game that you didn't like.

im not saying that you're wrong, but if you didnt agree with arioch you could have just said I dont agree because of /reason/, instead of trying to provoke him. Sorry for offtopic

Yeah my bad on being flippant. I apologize (to Arioch, particularly). I really wasn't trying to cause drama, but sometimes I let my emotions get the better of me when it comes to stuff like this.

Anyway, let's all move on. Silly to argue cause we're all super excited for Civ V and we should let that be a force for unification rather than the opposite.

Yeah my bad on being flippant. I apologize (to Arioch, particularly). I really wasn't trying to cause drama, but sometimes I let my emotions get the better of me when it comes to stuff like this.

Anyway, let's all move on. Silly to argue cause we're all super excited for Civ V and we should let that be a force for unification rather than the opposite.
Plus, Arioch has been super awesome in every other thread. We all get snippy sometimes! :) I got nuthin but love for him and his efforts.

The dude liked Civilization Revolution. 'Nuff said.

I also liked civ Revolution and madly loved Civilization IV BTS to bits. One thing do not disprove another, one man can like Hearts of Iron and Advance Wars at the same time, love for the strategy genre can be universal :)

Top Bottom