Deutsch 101

yes, "verbessern" is usually reflexive.

"Deine Noten müssen sich verbessern" - your grades have to improve
"Du musst deine Leistung verbessern" - you have to improve your efforts
"Die Situation in xyz hat sich verschlechtert" - the situation in xyz has deteriorated

nitpick:

"aber es ist so auf meine erste Sprache"

"aber es ist eines in meiner Muttersprache"

"aber es ist eines/eins" - "eines" referencing the reflexive verb though your "so" is intelligible
"in" instead of "auf" - just as you would say "in my language" in English
"meiner Muttersprache" instead of "meiner ersten Sprache" - while it is the common way to reference primary and secondary languages in English (English as a second language, or TOEFL - test of English as a foreign language) we Germans usually divide them into "Muttersprache" (native tongue) and "Fremdsprache" (foreign language). so you will see university courses called "Deutsch als Fremdsprache" (German as a second language).

only error I could find in your last posts so I had to pounce on that one :blush:

Muss dich leider verbessern, scherbchen (und Mirc), da verbessern durchaus korrigieren bedeutet. Also, möchtest du dein Deutsch bessern (oder wollst deine Graden bessern), pass auf!

[Have to correct you unfortunately, scherbchen (and Mirc), as verbessern generally means to correct. So, if you want to improve your German (or your grades), pay attention!]

aye on the bessern, thought about including that, but that is rather quaint and old-fashioned to use. using the word "Besserungsanstalten" (a sort of reformatory for juvenile delinquants) is really tongue-in-cheek and Dickensian.

"Ich gelobe Besserung" (I vow to better myself/to behave better) still is in use as a fixed phrase but, again, used with a solid dash of humour at least. "bessern" isn't really used anymore without the "ver-" prefix or others ("ausbessern", to repair/to fix) with the exception of the use of "Besserung" (improvement) in the medical sense as in "Er ist auf dem Wege der Besserung" (he is doing better/he is on the mend). somebody correct me if I'm wrong or if there are other examples.

you are, of course, perfectly correkt on using "verbessern" as to correct, as in "Ich werde deine Fehler verbessern" (I will correct your mistakes) or "Ich werde deinen Aufsatz verbessern" (I will correct your essay - note: this does not mean to grade it as well, just to improve). slipped my mind.

Oh, and you're free to correct me, unless it's Gross/Kleinschreibung, then I don't want to hear about it :p
Romänen, Amerikaner... den ihr Deutsch ist ja akzeptapel, aber Schweizerisch? Da mutest du uns etwas zu viel zu.
Spoiler :
Romanians, American people... their German is acceptable, but Swiss? That's to much to ask.

@Mirc
Mit Freunden auf Englisch zu reden ist sicher nicht hilfreich ^^, aber wurscht. Für die kurze Zeit, in der du Deutsch lernst, kann ich mir nicht vorstellen, dass du das nicht alles noch astrein hinbekommst.
Spoiler :
To talk with friends in English surely does'nt help, but what the hell. Considering the short period of time you are exercising German I have a hard time imagining you wouldn't get it done very well

"aber es ist eines in meiner Muttersprache"

"aber es ist eines/eins" - "eines" referencing the reflexive verb though your "so" is intelligible

Hmm... Das ist etwas, das ich noch nicht so gut verstehen kann. Dieser Genitiv kommt mir... wie soll ich sagen... "zufällig" vor. :( Oder ist das kein Genitiv? Ich glaube es ist*, weil ich es früher unter vielen Umständen gesehen habe: "eines Tages", "einer der besten [Whatever]", "es ist eines [...]". Aber auf jeden Fall, was ich sagen wollte, ist dass alle diese Beispiele sehr ungewöhnlich für mich klingen.

Also, wenn ich in einem Satz ein Verb ersetzen will, soll ich "eines" benutzen? Kannst du an ein anderes Beispiel denken? :)

* = (klappt dieser Satz - "ich glaube es ist" - ohne ein Objekt?)

Spoiler :
Hmm... That's something that I can't quite fully understand yet. This Genitive seems to me so... how should I put this... random. :( Or is this no Genitive? I think it is*, because I've seen it before under many circumstances: "one day", "one of the best [whatever]", etc. But in any case, all those examples sound very unusual for me.

So, when I want to replace a verb in a sentence, should I use "eines" (Genitive form of "a/an")? Can you think of any other example? :)

* = (does this sentence - "I think it is" - work without an object?)

"in" instead of "auf" - just as you would say "in my language" in English
"In" ist eigentlich viel einfacher für mich - aber sagt man nicht: "ich spreche AUF Deutsch"? Auf (in?) Englisch würde ich sagen "I'm speaking IN English", mittlerweile auf (in?) Deutsch wäre es "ich spreche AUF Englisch", oder...? Diese Präpositionen sind immer noch sehr schwierig für mich.

Spoiler :
"In" is actually a lot easier for me - but don't you say "I'm speaking ON German"? In English I would say "I'm speaking IN English, while in German it would be "I'm speaing ON English", wouldn't it? These prepositions are still very difficult for me.

"meiner Muttersprache" instead of "meiner ersten Sprache" - while it is the common way to reference primary and secondary languages in English (English as a second language, or TOEFL - test of English as a foreign language) we Germans usually divide them into "Muttersprache" (native tongue) and "Fremdsprache" (foreign language). so you will see university courses called "Deutsch als Fremdsprache" (German as a second language).
:D Ja, glaub mir, ich habe vielmals den Ausdruck "Deutsch als Fremdsprache" gesehen! ;)
Spoiler :
Yes, trust me, I've seen the expression "German as a foreign language" quite a lot of times! ;)

only error I could find in your last posts so I had to pounce on that one :blush:

(bolding mine) Wow, ich bin eigentlich sehr stolz darauf! :D
Spoiler :
Wow, I'm actually very proud of that!

@Mirc
Mit Freunden auf Englisch zu reden ist sicher nicht hilfreich ^^, aber wurscht. Für die kurze Zeit, in der du Deutsch lernst, kann ich mir nicht vorstellen, dass du das nicht alles noch astrein hinbekommst.
Spoiler :
To talk with friends in English surely does'nt help, but what the hell. Considering the short period of time you are exercising German I have a hard time imagining you wouldn't get it done very well

Danke!! :D Übrigens, was bedeutet dieses Wort, "astrein"? "Very good", oder was? :) In meinem (online) Wörterbuch konnte ich es nicht finden.

Spoiler :
Thanks!! :D BTW, what does this word, "astrein", mean? "Very good", or what? :) I haven't been able to find it in my (online) dictionary

Vielen Dank! Noch ein Online-Wörterbuch für meine Sammlung! :D

Spoiler :
Many thanks! Another online dictionary for my collection! :D

is there another one?

Ich benutze gerne Beolingus und Leo. :) Das letzte ist sehr gut für Verbe, meine Meinung nach, und das erste ist besser für Substantive. Phrasen.com ist auch sehr sehr nützlich, hat viele wichtige Ausdrücke, die man in normalen Wörterbüchern nicht finden kann.

Spoiler :
I like to use Beolingus and Leo. The former is very good for verbs, in my opinion, and the first one is better for nouns. Phrasen.com is also very very useful, with many expressions that can't be found in dictionaries

Ich empfehle immer Pons. Sie haben aber keine rumänische Version :(

PS: Die Wortschatz der Universität von Leipzig ist also sehr nutzreich, denn sie Beispiele beibringt.

Spoiler :
I always recomend Pons. But they don't a a romanian version :(

PS: The lexicon of the University of Leipzig is alsovery useful because it provides examples.

@ mirc, sorry if I reply in English but I am pressed for time right now.

the "eines/eins" is not a genitive. it is like the "one" in English. "but it is one (eins/einer) in my language". sorry for explaining it so poorly.

another example for referring to what you talked about before (a perchance reflexive verb in your original example) would be: "Diablo II ist kein Rollenspiel, Dark Age of Camelot ist jedoch eins" (Diablo II is not a roleplaying game, Dark Age of Camelot, however, is one).

---

yes, you'd say "ich spreche Deutsch" without the "auf" (I speak german) but "ich schreibe diesen Beitrag auf Deutsch" (I am writing this post in German). I, personally would say that "ich schreibe diesen Beitrag in Deutsch" is perfectly acceptable and absolutely correct. I am sure that there is some obscure rule on when you may use "auf", which to me seems to be the exception, but I don't know it. sorry to be of no help at all here right now.

---

"astrein" is akin to "makellos" (without fault, pristine) but mostly used in the northern parts and slightly informal.

---

Leo is very nice because of the forum :)

ps: somebody help me on that "auf"/"in" issue, please.

you are, of course, perfectly correkt on using "verbessern" as to correct, as in "Ich werde deine Fehler verbessern" (I will correct your mistakes) or "Ich werde deinen Aufsatz verbessern" (I will correct your essay - note: this does not mean to grade it as well, just to improve). slipped my mind.
Whut? O.O
Seit wann bedeuetet "verbessern" "to correct"???
Verbessern heißt "to improve". Korrigieren heißt "to correct". Zwei Paar Schuhe.
Spoiler :
Since when does "verbesern" means "to correct"???
Verbessern means "to improve". Korrigieren stands for "to correct". Two very different animals.

Ich benutze gerne Beolingus
Wohuuu Chemnitz!
ps: somebody help me on that "auf"/"in" issue, please.
Kniffliger Fall. Ich würde ja vermuten, dass in diesem Zusammenhang "in" immer eigentlich falsch ist, es aber keinen interessiert und wir eines Tages genauso "in" benutzten wie im Englischen. "Auf" klang für mich in allen Beispielen jedenfalls besser.
Spoiler :
Tricky issue. I for one would say that in this context "in" is generally wrong, bot no one cares anyway and one day we will use "in" just as in English. Anyway "Auf" sounded better in all given examples.

Dann habe ich sogar mein Wörterbuch mitgebracht, so dass ich nicht solchen dumme Fehler, wie in meinem vergangenen Beitrag, begehen würde. Ich sagte dass ich brauchte etwas wovon ich schreiben könnte, und ich glaube dass ich es jetzt habe(gibt es eine bessere Weise, diese auszudrücken?).

Ich bin, seit ich klein war, ein Anhänger von Monkey Island gewesen, und vor einer Weile entdeckte ich etwas, das mich ein bisschen irritierte.

Wir alle weissen dass Ron Gilbert der Schöpfer des Monkey Island ist, und dass er viel von seiner Inspiration von der "Pirates of the Caribbean"-Fährt in Disneyland holte. Jedoch, vor einigen Jahren, erzählte er dass er nur die Atmosphäre von der Fährt holte, und dass seine wirkliche Inspiration für die Handlung das Buch «On stranger tides» von Tim Powers war. Ich habe drei Bücher von ihm gelesen, und sie sind sehr gut, aber das ist nicht worüber ich schreiben wollte(ich bin nicht mit diesem Ausdrück zufrieden).

Ich bin sicher dass alle vom Filmserie "Pirates of the Carribean" auch gehört haben. Und natürlich gibt es einige Gleichheit zwischen ihm und Monkey Island, weil die beide in der gleichen Zeit und Stelle passieren. Aber es gibt ein paar Szenen, die ich völlig sicher bin, sie haben von "Monkey Island" gestohlen. Erstens haben wir eine Szene in der zweiten Film, in der Jack einen Sarg als Boot benutze, genau wie Guybrush in Monkey Island 2. Zweitens haben wir eine Szene in der letzten Film, in der ein Affe von einer Kanone ausschiessen wird. Die Benutzung der Kamera(der Affe fliegt gegen die Kamera), ist genau wie in Monkey Island 1, als Guybrush nach Monkey Island von einer Kanone fliegt.

Aber was ich eigentlich erzählen würde, die Sache die mich überraschte vor einer Weile, war die Name der vierten Film. Der Untertitel ist "On stranger Tides". Es scheint so dass sie Monkey Island herumgehen und ihm rufen "du kannst nicht beweisen, dass wir dich kopieren". Missversteht mich nicht, ich mag POTC, aber manchmal fühle ich dass MI nicht bekommt die Anerkennung, die es verdient.

Spoiler :
So, I have even brought my dictionary, so that I won't make such stupid mistakes, as in my previous post. I said that I needed something which I could write about, and I think that I have it now (Is there a better way to express this?).

Since I was little, I have been a supporter of Monkey Iceland, and a while ago, I discovered something that annoyed me a bit.

We all know that the creator of the Monkey Island is Ron Gilbert, and that he took much of his inspiration from the "Pirates of the Caribbean" Ride in Disneyland. However, a few years ago, he said that he took only the atmosphere from the ride, and that his real inspiration for the plot, was the book on stranger tides by Tim Powers. I have read three books by him, and they are very good, but that's not what I wanted to write about (I'm not happy with this expression).

I'm sure everyone has heard of the film series "Pirates of the Caribbean" as well. And of course there is some similarity between it and Monkey Iceland, because both happen at the same time and place. But there are a few scenes that I'm quite sure they have stolen from "Monkey Island. First, we have a scene in the second film, in which Jack uses a coffin as a boat, just like Guybrush in Monkey Island 2. Secondly, we have a scene in the last film in which a monkey is shot out from a cannon. The use of camera (the monkey flies towards the camera) is just like in Monkey Iceland 1, when Guybrush flies to Monkey Island from a cannon.

But what I would actually tell you, the thing that surprised me a while ago, was the name of the fourth film. The subtitle is "On Stranger Tides". It seems like they walk around Monkey Island screaming to it "you can't prove we're copying you" Don't misunderstand me, I like POTC, but sometimes I feel that MI is not getting the recognition it deserves.

My attempt at corrections - bear in mind many of those might be wrong themseves!!

Please don't be offended by any corrections - but if you feel this way, let me know and I'll edit them out immediately. They are only meant to help us both improve our German. Let me know if you find this post inappropriate.

They are inside this spoiler:

Spoiler :
so dass ich nicht solchen dumme Fehler
"keine solche dumme Fehler" sounds better to me. In any case, the N at the end of "solche" shouldn't be there, AFAIK.

Ich sagte dass ich brauchte etwas wovon ich schreiben könnte, und ich glaube dass ich es jetzt habe(gibt es eine bessere Weise, diese auszudrücken?).
Ich bin auch darüber (??) neugirig. Es scheint, dass ich auch immer solche Probleme habe

(I'm also curious about that. It seems that I always have such problems too)
(what's the right preposition for "curious", BTW?)

Wir alle weissen
Wir alle wissen

Ich bin sicher dass alle vom Filmserie "Pirates of the Carribean" auch gehört haben.
Wozu haben sie gehört? :) (what did they belong to? I don't get this part :))

weil die beide
Weil die beiden

Erstens haben wir eine Szene in der zweiten Film
im (oder in dem) zweiten Film

in der Jack einen Sarg als Boot benutze
Just wondering - are you using Konjunktiv I? If so, why? :)

Zweitens haben wir eine Szene in der letzten Film
Again, in dem. :)

ist genau wie in Monkey Island 1
Maybe "genauso wie" would work better here? No idea.

war die Name der vierten Film.
war der Name des vierten Films.

Es scheint so dass sie Monkey Island herumgehen und
Do we need the "so" in there? Just wondering.

Please don't be offended by any corrections - but if you feel this way, let me know and I'll edit them out immediately. They are only meant to help us both improve our German. Let me know if you find this post inappropriate.

:lol::lol: Your humility amuses me.

Come on. Why do you think I'm posting this. Slaughter it, please!!!

The Internet put me in touch with way too many touchy people! :D I can never be safe enough. :p

I edited my post above with my corrections included. Oh and I forgot one:

Missversteht mich nicht, ich mag POTC, aber manchmal fühle ich dass MI nicht bekommt die Anerkennung, die es verdient.
aber manchmal fühle ich, dass MI die Anerkennung, die es verdient, nicht bekommt.

Wow, my version sounds pretty wrong too. No idea how to say this right, actually. :lol:

Whut? O.O
Seit wann bedeuetet "verbessern" "to correct"???
Verbessern heißt "to improve". Korrigieren heißt "to correct". Zwei Paar Schuhe.
Spoiler :
Since when does "verbesern" means "to correct"???
Verbessern means "to improve". Korrigieren stands for "to correct". Two very different animals.

Wohuuu Chemnitz!

Kniffliger Fall. Ich würde ja vermuten, dass in diesem Zusammenhang "in" immer eigentlich falsch ist, es aber keinen interessiert und wir eines Tages genauso "in" benutzten wie im Englischen. "Auf" klang für mich in allen Beispielen jedenfalls besser.
Spoiler :
Tricky issue. I for one would say that in this context "in" is generally wrong, bot no one cares anyway and one day we will use "in" just as in English. Anyway "Auf" sounded better in all given examples.

quoted in its entirety because it is late.

"verbessern" as to correct is something I constantly hear at the university, though very often it is "korrigieren", true. I don't know nothing about no animals, mind you. oddly enough this is where "besseren" (to improve) does come up after all despite of what I said earlier. "besser deine Fehler aus" (get rid of your errors).

"kannst du meine Spanisch Übersetzung verbessern" (can you improve upon/correct my Spanish translation)? I get that every now and then.

and I do not agree that the German "in" is usually wrong in the case that has been brought up. if anything the "in/auf" is omitted. "Wir sprechen Deutsch" or, as a famous Bavarian comedian eternalized it, "Man spricht Deutsch" (we speak/one speaks German). it would rather be "Ich habe ein deutsches Buch gelesen" than "Ich habe ein Buch auf Deutsch gelesen" (I have read a German book in the former case and I have read a book in German in the latter). the latter just sounds quaint to me. you will get made fun of and be called "Herman Hesse" for the duration of your stay. it is a wannabe posh German that no longer exists anywhere but in telenovelas and scientific texts. for the sake of argument I am including NDL students as "scientists" (NDL is Neue Deutsche Literatur, modern German literature) and yes, I will spend some time in purgatory just for that.

Ich habe das mal aufgesucht in meinem Deutsches Wörterbuch, aber bessern bedeutet besser machen. Könnte sein dass es inzwischen archaisches Sprachgebrauch ist, aber es kommt mir eher vor dass das Unterscheid zwischen verbessern und bessern eher beruht auf dem heutigen Sprachgebrauch. (Dachte erst, vielleicht ist es westphalisch, weil du daher kommt, aber dass scheint nicht so zu sein.)

Musste noch sagen: ganz schönes Thread!

[I've looked it up in my Deutsches Wörterbuch, but bessern means to make better - as in 'to better oneself -. Could be that it's become archaic use, but it rather seems to me that the difference between verbessern and bessern results from today's use of language. (First thought, perhaps it's westphalian, as you're from there, but it seems not to be.)

Forgot to mention: real nice thread!]

Könnten wir über ein Thema sprechen, das nichts mit der Sprache und den Wörtebücher zu tun hat? Ich und scherbchen haben es versuchen, über dem vor kurz gestorbenen Torwart (Wie heißte der?) zu sprechen, aber niemand hat uns gefolgt :(

Spoiler :
Could we speak about a topic that has anything to do with language and the dictionaries? Me and scherbchen have tried to speak about the recently passed away goalkeeper (What was his name?) but no one has followed us :(

Top Bottom