Difference between SP and MP warfare

So far I have only played SP, but am thinking about getting into MP games, and have a question. Against the AI, warfare is simple - used ranged units (CBs, artillery, bombers) and blow away their units, then their cities. Keep just a few melee units soley to rush in and grab a city at 0, or finish off another unit if his HPs are almost 0 (unlike earlier versions, where for me, cavalry/tanks were king for almost everything). Do that, and you almost never lose a unit, except for the occasional meat shield.

I assume in multiplayer, it ain't that simple. How is the mechanism of warfare different?

Thanks.

So far I have only played SP, but am thinking about getting into MP games, and have a question. Against the AI, warfare is simple - used ranged units (CBs, artillery, bombers) and blow away their units, then their cities. Keep just a few melee units soley to rush in and grab a city at 0, or finish off another unit if his HPs are almost 0 (unlike earlier versions, where for me, cavalry/tanks were king for almost everything). Do that, and you almost never lose a unit, except for the occasional meat shield.

I assume in multiplayer, it ain't that simple. How is the mechanism of warfare different?

Thanks.

It is the exact same unit composition in MP , as ranged units >>>> melee. However, almost all MP games will use SIMULTANIOUS turns, so clicking fast and getting off your attacks first is very important. that is the biggest change, no time to think and plan moves, since it is not 'your turn, my turn'. Also, things like building a lot of roads all over the front lines is very important so that you have a lot more mobility for your units so you can 'scoot and shoot'.

I understand unit composition is the same, but are ranged units still the king (unlike prior civ games)?
I was not sure if there were different tactics as to offense/defense.

The simultaneous turn thing should be interesting.

I understand unit composition is the same, but are ranged units still the king (unlike prior civ games)?
I was not sure if there were different tactics as to offense/defense.

The simultaneous turn thing should be interesting.

yes, ranged is king, what I meant is that you will see very little difference in 'army compositions' between single and multiplayer. basically, it will be 90% ranged units at least up until infantry (knights get used a bit too).

Well, the composition wont be the same if you are plsyibg against good players. Knights are used to coutner xbowmen and eventually cavalry which completely nullfiies ranged units. Imdutrial era people will be spamming artillery. Cavalry is a good counter because you can return to your original location after attscking. If you have your own arty pieces, you can attack with cavalry and finish eit with arty. Then of course there are occasional melee units if they are unique like the berserker, impi etc. Continrnts and archipelago have a much largrr emphasis on frigates and privateers.

Ranged units are king! Ranged units that can move after shooting are too strong. If you play a good player who has camels or keshiks, you will probably want to rage quit after the first battle - it will be extremely frustrating. And frigates are so strong that you will lose all of your coastal cities in just a few turns if you are still figuring out MP. As in, you see some boats, 2 turns later you lose a city, then 2 turns later you lose a second city!

Mounted units are stronger compared to melee in MP than SP. With mounted units you can strike and hopefully save the unit. Unless you are playing noobs, expect to lose a lot more units than in SP. Speaking of which, when I play noobs, I can have very low casualties.

The tactics you use are so different that at first it will feel like you are playing a different game. But don't worry, it can be figured out. For example, there is a concept that deals with "strong tiles" and "weak tiles." A weak tile is a place where if you stick a unit it will die quickly. A strong tile is a place where you can put a unit with safety. To make a strong string of tiles, roading is key - you can shuffle a wounded unit away and replace with a healthy unit. Let the unit on the road take some damage then replace with a fresh unit. That means don't commit the front units on the road until later in the turn!

Top Bottom