Directing Our Cities

Apollo

Emperor
I was looking at AoA's new posts in our General Info. thread and was disappointed at the lack of information given about our cities. Several cities which are not up for an immediate change in production were left out, and the ones we did see had part of the screen covered up by the list of possible production choices. This makes it hard for governors to check on their cities to make sure everything is OK, and also difficult for the rest of us to make such choices as where to build MC because we don't know which is the most productive city. If a city has to have a citizen changed to an entertainer to keep it happy, then maybe the production should be switched from whatever was last voted on to a temple, but as it is we don't know how all our cities are doing.

I thought back to Ducky and how he posted shots of all the cities, and then realized that for AoA it has already become a big job to post shots of each city and their production options. This job will only get bigger. What are we to do later on when we have dozens of cities all needing production choices made? It will get very complicated, and we need to find a solution soon.

Another issue that can be grouped in with this is our settlers and what they are doing. Currently the President is able to control all the settlers at his discretion, and choose when to stop them from improving the land and to build a new city. Originally this was going to be part of the City Planner's or Governors' jobs, but it would be too much work for the President to post shots of all of our terrictory for the Governors to look at.

My idea for this is to have the President send the saved games to our Governors. This would allow them to look at their provinces, see into their cities, and get a closer look at the settler jobs. Then they can post polls on the cities that need them, knowing exactly what those cities could produce and what they were in need of. Also, for global build orders such as where to place a wonder, the Governors would each know which was their most productive city and could post its information in the wonder's thread, each wanting the wonder in their province for the prestige. Of course, this would pretty much take away any remaining powers from the City Planner position. I think the City Planner position should be done away with at the end of this term, and when a global build decision is needed then whichever Governor comes first can start the thread. Later on in the game when we have many cities, the Governors can post a general poll or two for their province, being fully informed on the status of each of their cities.

The Governors can also either poll people or just PM the President with what to do with the settlers that their cities are supporting. This may need to be discussed more, because the Governors probably wouldn't want to give up their settlers to go build a city in some other province, and also we'd have to decide whether they make the decisions for the terrain development or post polls on it.

I think it would be safe to have our Governors have the saved games, because they would be under the same binding laws that our President is. We elect these officials not only based on ability and commitment, but also honesty and integrity to not play ahead in the game or use the cheat mode to reveal the map or other unscrupulous ventures.

What are your thoughts and ideas on this? How are we to bring the democratic process to our ever-growing numbers of cities?

I have no objection to any of this, it would make my job easier, and give people a chance to be more involved.

There should still be a list of e-mail addresses floating round somewhere from when Duck was president, and I say that AoA should only use e-mail to send the game to the relevant governors. I realise I'm stating the obvious here, but if the game is posted on the forums then it can be downloaded by anyone, and if these people want to get themselves a lengthy ban for spoiling our fun then they could make a spoiler thread on another forum. Or even at 'poly, where we couldn't ban 'em. :(

Good idea. It would also give some 'would be presidents' the experience they need to for their future ambitions.

As the game grows and more & more people become governors, the stigma around having a copy of the game will have less impact as we would know where the other civs are and what they have

Sounds like a good idea although it still has the drawback that citizens will still find it hard to find information on all the cities and to compare them. I am worried that Olympia has only had 6 votes so far. With more cities this amount is likely to go down.

Here is my email address so that you don't have to search for it.
Dell19_UG@hotmail.com

I think we should still have city planner for two jobs.
Firstly to control new provinces until the next election where a governor will be chosen.
To build new cities. Since we need just one person to do this or else it will get confusing. Eg me and ACM may make two polls for a new place for a city in the same area.

I like the idea of being able to look at the game though but I only have Test of time which I have a feeling is a problem.

I always thought all cabinet members should get the game... eahiter way, if you are handing out the saved game, may I have it? I havent been able to follow ANYHTING for years now, and I usually dont vote in city polls cause I dont understand them. perhaps the game would help a bit. I'd like to post the national-map in a seperate thread, as I asked for many, many... many.... many...... times before, since my computer has the worst net invoented, and it takes a long time to download pics. I'd like to be able to see a national map, but have bene unable. so if you could help me out here...

pellaken_kee@hotmail.com

I agree that this is nessecary.As the ammout of screenshot that need to be taken will surely grow ,we cannot let the president take all screenshot's ,as it a LOT of work if you have to do 20 city's.
As such i ask a copy to ,as i can post the other rellevant screen's that ly beyond the interest of other official's, like demographic's ,top five city's ,wonder's of the world and such screen's. (i have something to do right)

I like that idea duck. We change the cp into the photo office where the person takes all the screens then we dont have a big risk of someone spoiling the game. And then it would probaly be esaier not haveing to email 20 people too. And if nessacry we put more than one photo person. I think it should be an elected postion cos we need to beable to trust teh person. But it shouldnt be a goverment postion cos they really dont do much.

Sounds like a good idea although it still has the drawback that citizens will still find it hard to find information on all the cities and to compare them.

The only way to allow citizens to look at all the cities would be to either post a screenshot of each or email the game to every citizen. I think if we do it the way I suggested then the governors can check the cities for problems (which was originally going to be one of their major jobs) and post screenshots and polls for cities that need something done. It will be up to them to keep track of the cities, but at least the citizens will know that somebody is dedicated to watching the cities and that there is somebody to go to if they have a question about a city.

I think we should still have city planner for two jobs.
Firstly to control new provinces until the next election where a governor will be chosen.
To build new cities. Since we need just one person to do this or else it will get confusing. Eg me and ACM may make two polls for a new place for a city in the same area.

Isn't the building of new cities part of the Expansion Leader's job? I think they could also direct the new cities, which until they become part of a province are essentially colonies and would fit okay under the jobs of the Expansion Leader. BTW, where is our Expansion Leader? Unknown Soldier hasn't posted in over a week. I think that our deputy, Pellaken, might need to step in for now with some polls, since we have a settler and a nomad out looking for city sites.

As such i ask a copy to ,as i can post the other rellevant screen's that ly beyond the interest of other official's, like demographic's ,top five city's ,wonder's of the world and such screen's. (i have something to do right)

This sounds fine, but if the President doesn't post city screenshots then he won't have much else to post, except maybe event shots. Besides, the job of the Vice President is to get ready to run for election once the current President has run into term limits, just like at Al Gore. :D

We change the cp into the photo office where the person takes all the screens then we dont have a big risk of someone spoiling the game. And then it would probaly be esaier not haveing to email 20 people too. And if nessacry we put more than one photo person. I think it should be an elected postion cos we need to beable to trust teh person. But it shouldnt be a goverment postion cos they really dont do much.

I'm not sure I understand you here. Do you mean move the task of posting screenshots from the President to another official? It would still be just as monumental a task and also clog up the General Info. thread, making it difficult for those with slow connections to view. Even if the email has to be sent out to twenty people, it can all be done with one email sent to a list. Don't worry Spycatcher, these changes won't take affect until after the next election so you won't lose your job, and since you've been such a dedicated worker for the United Fanatica I'm sure you'll get another position. ;)

Edit: Just saw a post by Unknown Soldier in the Site Feedback forum, so hopefully he'll come through here soon. He's probably just been out checking potential city locations in person. ;)

I'm just bumping this up to see if there are any more comments. I'll post a poll on it in a couple days to take affect next term.

For now, this is what I have decided:

The vice president and the two governers will get the save, and the governers will post screen shots at my request.

I will continue to post regular map shots, and nobody will post game shots without the president's and the Mod Liason's approval.

Both governers and the VP please PM me this information, not post in the threads.

Thanks.

That's fine by me, however there's one problem: Civ2 doesn't work on my Windows Me machine.

I have the classic (original) Civ2 version and all I get is an Illegal Operation error when I run the game or the editor. I tried to upgrade to MGE with the files provided here at the CFC and still nothing.

So I'm only playing Civ3 for now.

I have the classic (original) Civ2 version and all I get is an Illegal Operation error when I execute the game or the editor. I tried to upgrade to MGE with the files provided here at the CFC and still nothing.

Strange. It works with Windows XP. :confused: Does anyone else have this problem?

Ok, problem solved.

Apparently those Indeo and WinG drivers won't install while some programs are running (like Norton Antivirus and other memory resident programs). Pretty weird, huh ? :confused:

Test of time seems to not want to run on XP but it still runs on my opther computer ansd I have installed MGE so it should work.

Ok, I'll post a poll on it since it will require some rule changes. If it stays open Friday and Saturday it should get both the workweek and the weekend crowd.

Top Bottom