Disable "Civfanatics would like to enable push notifications"

Brixter

Warlord
I see this popup every time and it blocks the bottom of my page. I would never enable push notifications but Civfanatics site keeps on asking me. It is annoying.

Where is my response saved? If is saved in a cookie, then it will be cleared everytime. Can it be saved in the user profile so the website wouldn't keep nagging me if I'm logged in?

I see this popup every time and it blocks the bottom of my page. I would never enable push notifications but Civfanatics site keeps on asking me. It is annoying.

Where is my response saved? If is saved in a cookie, then it will be cleared everytime. Can it be saved in the user profile so the website wouldn't keep nagging me if I'm logged in?
I am in full agreement with this?

Yes, it is saved in a cookie. As far as I know, I cannot turn it off.

Depending upon the browser you use, you can allow certain cookies if you wish. I also clear my cookies after each session and get the pop up as well. It is a nag but is a cost of removing cookies.

Yes, it is saved in a cookie. As far as I know, I cannot turn it off.

Depending upon the browser you use, you can allow certain cookies if you wish. I also clear my cookies after each session and get the pop up as well. It is a nag but is a cost of removing cookies.
Ok, just want to inform you that it affects the website's useability. The important buttons like "Save" or "Post reply" are at the bottom of the page and are covered by the "enable push notifications" popup. It requires users to scroll up more to see the buttons. That's the annoyance.

Last edited:
Ok, just want to inform you that it affects the website's useability. The important buttons like "Save" or "Post reply" are at the bottom of the page and are covered by the "enable push notifications" popup. It requires users to scroll up more to see the buttons. That's the annoyance.
Unfortunately if you are in the habit of continually clearing your cookies this is the kind of annoyance you will have to put with.

I also clear my cookies each time, and yeah, it's annoying. You can click them away with the cross on the right, and then you get another banner where you can click "never again". That only holds until the cookies are cleared, and then it'll be back.

The only option we have is to globally deactivate push notifications, but I guess a range of people are using them, so not really an option :/.

Can't you change it so that push notifications are opt-in instead of opt-out?

Derp.
I meant the notifications about push notifications. The actual ad that says ‘Civfanatics would like to enable push notifications’ is opt-out rather than opt-in.

Have I made your brain glitch yet?

I usually just tell it to STFU. Eventually it does. I realize this is not a normal technical solution and may not work for others. It requires a level of snark and impatience that not everyone possesses.

(but again, I never deliberately log out of the forum, so it's rarely a problem)

Seriously, there's already a set of options in the user's profile/account settings to control what kind of notifications we do or don't get, and this 'push' thing seems redundant and annoying. If memory serves, the only contacts we can't opt out of are if the admins want to send us emails or PMs.

I'm late to this party, but there's a browser setting to disable push notifications entirely. The specifics depend on your browser of choice, of course, but it's probably under "security" or "privacy".

Unfortunately if you are in the habit of continually clearing your cookies this is the kind of annoyance you will have to put with.
Not the best sort of support, don't you think? Telling people it's their problem because they like security and privacy. Not a good look from a staff member. Keep in mind, this is a site for nerds, nerds who like their security and privacy. The site should cater for its audience.

At this point I'm going to suggest that it may be an issue that depends on which version of XenForo is used.

I belong to another large forum that uses XenForo. They also migrated from vBulletin, and are heading for their second upgrade later this year (the first was awhile back).

I don't know if the reason I never encountered push notifications there is because they're using a different version of XenForo then CFC is, or if it's something premium members there don't see.

Do the people here with "Supporter" badges get push notifications?

Not the best sort of support, don't you think?

In fairness, what do you expect the staff to do here? The only way the site "knows" not to ask you about push notifications is if you send the cookie to say "no push notifications". If you delete that, you're Joe Random as far as the site is concerned (at least, until you log in again -- but again, that login involves cookies).

The only technical solution here available to the site is to turn off the push notifications feature entirely, and I think it's pretty clear that they're not willing to do that. I don't agree with that decision, but hey -- their site, their rules.

So...all that's left is "maybe Noble Zarkon could have phrased their previous post a bit more gently".

Found this on the XF forums. This sounds like a great solution.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230629-230132.png
    Screenshot_20230629-230132.png
    325.6 KB · Views: 31
Thanks. Have posted this in the staff forum for evaluation.
We have evaluated, checked if it's possible and have now implemented this. Thanks @Dale .

There is now a radio button called "Do you want to disable push notifications forever? (this will override any option further below)" under "preferences" in the account settings. If you select yes, it will disable this question if you want to use push notifications. Please note that even if you de-select it, that this will not change anything on your settings, and an admin would have to override it, and also that this will only come in effect after you newly logged in.

Please let us know if there are still any problems with this.

Top Bottom