Discussion thread for exploits and strategies

AlanH said:
My point is that anyone attempting such an emulation of the competition map is working against the spirit of the GOTM rules, since, *if* they achieved their objective, they would be reloading something close to the actual map.

Suppose I was able to do the same emulation and prediction of what the computer players will do, entirely with pencil and paper? Would that be ok? How about if I can do it entirely in my head?

I just don't see the difference between using the computer as an aid to try to predict what the opponents will do, and any other method of making such predictions. It's taking the available facts and generating a conclusion.

Reloading the actual game is not ok precisely because it gives you additional information that you don't have. Which, to me, is very different from just making the best use of the information that you do have.

I'm still steeped in Civ3. I will concede your point with respect to Civ4, and I suspect the game is the lesser for it.

In Civ3 you would be using a simulation engine that *does* know more than you do. If you set it up with enough known information, *and* get the initial conditions right then it will tell you what the AI would do in a way that is not possible on paper or in your head or in a spreadsheet. No matter how many investigations were done we never got to the bottom of the way the Civ3 AI behaves.

But my point is invalidated by the release of the Civ4 SDK. With full access to the AI algorithms you could now precisely replicate the AI decision-making outside of the game. Firaxis have opened the black box, and destroyed the mystery.

AlanH said:
But my point is invalidated by the release of the Civ4 SDK. With full access to the AI algorithms you could now precisely replicate the AI decision-making outside of the game. Firaxis have opened the black box, and destroyed the mystery.

I do have some of the same concerns as you about the "open AI". Time will tell how this works out.

By the way, I think it would be possible, at least in principle, to build your own modified AI (call it the GOTM AI) using the SDK, and compile it into a library for players to download. Players then would play against the modified AI but wouldn't have access to its algorithms (except, in principle, by reverse-engineering the executable code).

But this sounds like way more trouble than it's worth.

DaveMcW said:
You can wipe out the coastal cities of your "friend" by sailing a transport loaded with a 3rd party enemy unit into the city.

Now that we have the AI code via the SDK, perhaps we should "improve" it so that it makes frequent use of this "tactic". :mischief:

I found this in another thread posted by Otomik, but it is worth asking.

If I capture a city I can gift it to another civ and ruin their economy with maintenance cost, if the city is far away from that civ. Also I can build a city in middle of a desert and do the same.

Is this allowed in GOTM?

Khalid said:
If I capture a city I can gift it to another civ and ruin their economy with maintenance cost, if the city is far away from that civ. Also I can build a city in middle of a desert and do the same.

The AI players have been tweaked in successive patches to reject gifts of cities they don't want. I don't think this is a sensible strategy in 1.61. If you can make it work effectively, then we'll probably have to ban it, but for now I think the supposition is that it won't really help you.

There's an active thread on manipulating the AI into giving you more gpt in trades, by offering it gpt for nothing (or a resource), in order to increase the amount of money it thinks it has available for trading. Then you immediately sell it a resource for that larger amount. This doesn't gain you anything in the short term, but 10 turns later you can cancel the first deal and the AI isn't smart enough to respond by canceling the second deal.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=173468

I've known about this for a while but I didn't talk about it because I didn't want to encourage it. :( Unfortunately, I think it does work pretty well, and it may be hard to fix.

Personally, I would favor banning this for GOTM, although the more subtle form of manipulation (where you offer gpt for one resource, take the gpt back for a different resource, then later cancel the first deal) is somewhat hard to define and regulate.

DaviddesJ said:

Personally, I would favor banning this for GOTM, although the more subtle form of manipulation (where you offer gpt for one resource, take the gpt back for a different resource, then later cancel the first deal) is somewhat hard to define and regulate.

One way to define the exploit would be not allowing gpt to go more than one way (at any given moment) in trades between you and an AI. That should cover all kinds of subsidies while allowing almost all "normal" trades (I think - prove me wrong).

Edit: "(at any given moment)"

DaviddesJ said:
There's an active thread on manipulating the AI into giving you more gpt in trades, by offering it gpt for nothing (or a resource), in order to increase the amount of money it thinks it has available for trading. Then you immediately sell it a resource for that larger amount. This doesn't gain you anything in the short term, but 10 turns later you can cancel the first deal and the AI isn't smart enough to respond by canceling the second deal.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=173468

I've known about this for a while but I didn't talk about it because I didn't want to encourage it. :( Unfortunately, I think it does work pretty well, and it may be hard to fix.

People can do what they like (obviously) in their own games. The main reason I spent so much time talking in the pro of this tactic is that I see no reason to ban it in group settings. I would encourage anybody who has not already done so to read that other thread. I have a very lengthy case why this should not be considered an exploit. After I wrote that, despite the replies it generated, I did not read a single thing that genuinely refuted the arguments I made. I did not appreciate being told "you've deluded yourself into thinking cheating is ok" (paraphrasing there), as I beleive my case is well laid out and logical, and I worked hard to cover all the bases.

The counter-arguments that followed looked to me to fall into two camps- the 'it's just obviously an exploit' and 'since the AI won't cancel "bad" deals, it's an exploit'. DaviddesJ is yet again making the latter case here. I already wrote in depth on the 'bad deal' theory, but people keep bringing it up without responding to what I specifically wrote. I won't outline my argument again here since I'd encourage folks to read the other thread.

The 'not intended by designers, therefore has to be an exploit' is also a specious argument. I don't see how the intent of the designers has any relevance. In the other thread I listed other practices that I doubt were intended but which we do all the time. If we know that procedure X increases our chances of winning over procedure Y, it seems obvious that we should do X. The designer's predilictions for Y have no bearing on the matter. By worrying about design intent we are adding an extra layer of rules to the game that are inherently not there. For an interesting read on that topic, I would examine this article.

Now I'm aware that if procedure X is so clearly beneficial to winning that it makes the game nearly pointless to play, then fine, ban it. However, I don't see how this particular practice fits into that category. Of course, this is highly subjective and I've already discussed that as well. But I'm irked by the idea of a set of players in authority deciding that another set is going to earn "too much" money by some particular method and prohibiting it (yes, yes, then don't play. I'd prefer trying to reason first...) My personal experience has not led this to be a genuinely game breaking ploy. In fact, as I mention elsewhere it takes a feature I'd never even be using at all and having fun with it. The expert players may do well enough that this appears game breaking to them, but I doubt most of us are at that level of play.

@Eggman: There seem to be two versions of your post in succession. Not sure which is the version you wanted to use, so I haven't removed one, but for readability, I suggest you do so.

Thnaks for the heads-up. I've been having troubles with my posts suddenly getting posted while I'm halfway through writing them.

Eggman, the reason these things should be banned is that anyone who wants to compete with you, is forced to copy what you do, or fall behind. That kills the idea of making comparisons. Two identical games need not be compared.

The 'not intended by designers, therefore has to be an exploit' is also a specious argument. I don't see how the intent of the designers has any relevance.
It is relevant because the designers intended for a game that is balanced and offers many different strategies. By playing their errors, instead of their intentions, you are playing a different game than the rest of us wishes to play and for which we like to compare our experiences with each other.

Ribannah said:
Eggman, the reason these things should be banned is that anyone who wants to compete with you, is forced to copy what you do, or fall behind. That kills the idea of making comparisons. Two identical games need not be compared.

I've heard this argument from other players of other games, and it disproves itself. I'm not sure what to call it that doesn't give offense or imply that anybody using it is a weak player, but I'll call it the 'I want to be in a competition where I don't have to compete' school of thought.

Let's say we agree to play on the same map, but for whatever reason it is a fact that I am a better player than you are because of 'X'. Maybe it's micromanagement skills, or stategic planning, or tactics. 'X' means that the odds are I am going to outperform you in average circumstances. We'll assume to keep things simple that every game we play is under such circumstances. You're concerned that my use of certain techniques (I'll elaborate more on what it might be proper to call these later*) is going to force you to apply the same techniques and make our games the same. However, our games will not be the same since I still have 'X' in my corner. If you ban my techniques, the games are not the same because I still have 'X'. Changing the ruleset does not affect the skillsets of the player, the outcomes of the games are still going to be different. You gained no benefits aside from keeping weaker players weak because they are prevented from learning the techniques experts use. There's also no guarantee that a particular technique won't benefit the weaker player more than the expert. An expert might decide that under a set of circumstances, a technique provides marginal benefit and not employ it at all. The rookie might go for that marginal benefit and have a better performance than he would otherwise with not getting the benefit.

I don't know how to interpret 'forced (my emphasis) to copy what you do, or fall behind' as other than implying that people in a competitive setting have no responsibility to compete. Even if I'm just 'comparing' games, this is still a competition or I wouldn't be bothering to make a comparision. If you are seriously competing, then you are not 'forced' as you will do these things naturally because you are actively working to improve your play. If you are honestly trying to play 'for fun' then the results are supposed to be irrelevant (you only wanted to 'have fun', remember?) and you have no businsess telling other players what techniques need to come out of their toolboxes. It's amusing that this argument never goes away and is probably as old as time. It comes up in almost EVERY GAME EVER MADE. They wanted to ban the forward pass 100 years ago when it popped up in football and they didn't like the curveball when it first came up in baseball 130 years ago either. I may not like being 'forced' to give preferential selection to the taller players (assuming fairly equal skill, obviously) when I pick my basketball team, but if that is what I need to do to compete, then that is what I do. Players who are competing use their skills to make the most of all the tools they have available, players who aren't competing, don't, and are likely to lose. That is how games work. It's true that somebody coming to these boards for the first time and jumping into the GoTM might be at a disadvantage. If they only wanted to 'have fun', then it won't matter. If they are serious about improving their game, then they will learn all the things we did by using these boards and other tools that are readily available.

For a minor, related point, go back to our game where I nearly always outperform you due to 'X'. 'X' is most likely an abstract technique, that no matter how well I explain it, it does not follow that you are going to be able to implement it as well as I do (Worker Stealing is a good example). Techniques like trade subsidies are easily explained and can be done by anybody, the inherenet skill level to pull it off successfully is far less. If the goal is to shrink the field between expert and non-expert out of some sense of fair play (which to me means you no longer have a real competition, see below), then I don't see the logic of banning moves that can be equally employed by all players and leaving both sides with techniques that only the expert is likely to use correctly.

Whether you agree or disagree is mainly going to depend on how you spin the whole idea of competitive play rather than my actual words. If you're one of those that feels a 'real ' competition means that both players have close to a 50% chance of winning, you're bound to find fault since no matter what I say, you're going to insist that we handicap experts (instead of the other option, help improve the play of the non-experts) by making it so they can't use all of their knowledge of the game. I'm in the camp that a real competition has the players making maximum use of all their abilities at all times. If this gives lopsided odds because I know 'X' and you don't, then fine. There's no reason to fault me for it. I find games will be more exciting if an underdog wins, and you'll have more opportunity to improve your play by seeing what I did that you didn't, than you will in a game cooked to be nearly identical. When I watched The Incredibles in the theatre, some people booed in the scene at the end where Daschle uses his super speed to come in 2nd place in the track race. I wholeheartily agree with this booing. If I take tools out of the expert's box to play with him, any victory I earn is diminished since I did not beat the expert at their best. If I have no real chance to beat the expert, then we should not be wasting our time in competition. GoTM already addresses this issue by having the different categories of the saved game for people to play and encouraging people to talk about their games even if they lose.

It is relevant because the designers intended for a game that is balanced and offers many different strategies.

You may be thinking that if you're 'forced' to follow what the expert does, there is less strategy. I don't have a hard and fast answer to this. But this is not a game like Street Fighter where the technique might be 'Always use player [blank] and use move [blank]', where you get predictable outcomes. In the case of Civ IV, the ultimate outcome of the game is not a foregone conclusion from using this particular technique. So I have to 'agree to disagree' on the idea that I have less strategy. I can say from personal experience that in this particular case only, I personally (individual results may vary) end up with more strategy since I'm now using a feature of the game I had no reason to use before (AI trades). As for balance, I see no personal imbalance whatsoever. I've written at length in the other thread why it's fruitless to argue over how the AI should or should not be managing its trades, and how I don't see how the programmers could have reasonably been expected to come up with anything better (meaning this system is not an 'error'). In the response to my thread I've seen exactly 1 post by Malekithe hinting that an AI might have been genuniely 'harmed'. As of this writing I'm aware of no credible research into the long or short term consequences of burdening an AI with suddenly unsubsidized trades. Frankly, since this isn't something you can just fire up the WorldBuilder and check in a few minutes, I'm not sure how such research could be done. But as I point out in the other thread, I don't see why we care what happens to the AI in the first place. The main point of the game is to crush it. The counter-argument seems to go that since the AI doesn't 'counter' this strategy that it is unfair. To me this puts it in the same league as Worker Stealing- as evidenced in Nares' own article, the AI does not know how to protect itself from this technique, but I don't hear anybody sticking up for the AI in this case. In fact, I'd even go out on a limb and say that Worker Stealing is more harmful than subsidies. Subsidies provide the most results later in the game when the AI players have more money and are well established; at this point, fiddling with their budgets will have less (but not no, obviously) impact on the game since it's most likely already half over or later. Stealing a Worker is an early game move designed to interfere with the AI's development and boost your own, it is by its nature a long-term benefit and therefore has more impact. The game is weighted towards giving the AI advantages, I don't see why we are shackled to treat it with some sense of fair play.

...you are playing a different game than the rest of us wishes to play and for which we like to compare our experiences with each other.

I understand this sentiment completely. It is the quintessential philosophy of the scrub as explained in Sirlin's article (not written by me, if anybody wondered) that I reference in my previous post. But I don't think that 'we' includes everybody who might want to play GoTM. A simple solution is to keep adding brackets or making 'expert' and 'non-expert' versions, but I don't like solutions that divide people into camps. I see it as better not to ban techniques like this and allow everyone to play together. If you read my game write-up and decide that I do something you don't approve of under whatever imaginary ruleset you like to play under, all you have to do is disregard what I write and tell yourself I didn't really outperform you (if I did) since I didn't follow your rules. No muss no fuss. Meanwhile the serious, know every nut-and-bolt of the game experts still get a fair trial (or 'comparison', however you want to color it) amongst themselves since they didn't have to play handicapped.

---------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------​

* There's a lot of wasted space in the other thread because of the use of the word 'exploit'. I find use of the term unfortunate because it means different things to different people. I might live in a region rich in natural resources, in which case I might exploit them. Or I could exploit my natural singing talent and make millions. Neither of these neccessarily has any negative connotation. However, if I'm a sweatshop owner then I could exploit my workers and this is bad. However you bother to literally define 'exploit' (and more than one person did), as you apply it in the context of a computer game, more often than not the negative connotation of wrongdoing sticks to it. We usually think of the guy who uses 'exploits' as a 'cheater', i.e., somebody doing things they 'shouldn't'. I spent time there arguing that I don't see this technique as an 'exploit' because I don't see it as something I should inherently not be doing. I prefer the term 'technique' for what amounts to an essay here since I find it has less imagery that immediately comes to mind than the word 'exploit'. I can discuss a set of techniques without baggage regarding their origin or if they are 'cheats'. A bad technique can be declared so later on its own merits. I see no relevance in how a technique comes to be, the only worthy topic for discussion is the practical effect of the technique. If the technique is shown to remove most of the point of playing the game, then ban it based on that fact and not simply on its origins. The other thread has a lot of noise with people going over the nature and meaning of exploits and nobody talking about demonstrable effects in the game. It is really these effects we need to be discretely analyzing before we get around to talking about a ban.

Eqqman said:
I find games will be more exciting if an underdog wins, and you'll have more opportunity to improve your play by seeing what I did that you didn't, than you will in a game cooked to be nearly identical.

The point here isn't to be competitive. If it was, then there would be no argument. Everyone would use the city-killing 3rd party unit bug, and the "competition" would be to see who could bust all other cities fastest.

But that would lead to nearly identical games.

What I mean to say is that the whole intention is to promote diversity. In some instances, certain actions would promote a more uniform game between all players. Chop-rush, for example, was so strong as to almost necessitate a chop-rushed start. To an extent, post-nerf, it still does, but certainly there are cases when a decision must be made (health benefits/production vs "free" hammers).

In the case of the curveball or the forward pass, neither effectively eliminated diversity within that aspect of the sport (pitching or offense). One can make a case that, in football, offense was forever changed by the allowance of the forward pass. However, it did not eliminate the strength of a strong running game, or the usefulness of a short rush. In the case of the pitch, the curveball became one of many. In the case of forward pass, it became a portion of the offense (though even the forward pass has its own types of diversity).

As Ribbanah points out, there are some actions that lead to uniformity. This defeats the very purpose of what you suggest as being what makes competition interesting.

Eqqman said:
But I don't think that 'we' includes everybody who might want to play GoTM.

Definitely not. In fact, past discussions indicate that hardly any GOTM players agree with Ribannah's point of view. But, although his (her?) position is easily refuted, there are still some exploits that should be banned. Even Sirlin, in the article you approvingly refer to, says the same.

To me this puts it in the same league as Worker Stealing- as evidenced in Nares' own article, the AI does not know how to protect itself from this technique, but I don't hear anybody sticking up for the AI in this case. In fact, I'd even go out on a limb and say that Worker Stealing is more harmful than subsidies.

Worker stealing is certainly an exploit. I don't use it in my own personal games, for that reason. However, it's an exploit of a class that's difficult to ban in organized play. It's hard to see a feasible rule that says you can't attack the AI and take its workers. Where do you draw the line? So it's something that I think most people agree we have to live with, even though the game would be better if it weren't possible.

However you bother to literally define 'exploit' (and more than one person did), as you apply it in the context of a computer game, more often than not the negative connotation of wrongdoing sticks to it.

I think that's right---the word "exploit" refers to an undesirable technique, and has an inherently negative connotation. Some exploits should be banned, and some should not (for practical reasons), but all are things that would preferably not be in the game. But every sufficiently complicated game is going to have some exploits: loopholes or strategies that are effective but whose effects on gameplay are undesirable.

Take worker dogpiling in Civ3. It seems pretty clear that you wouldn't want to ban this. Yet it's a fairly dominant and degenerate late-game strategy, if allowed it has big consequences for the whole game. It seems quite clear to me that the rule against it was a plus for organized Civ3 play.

DaviddesJ said:
Worker stealing is certainly an exploit. I don't use it in my own personal games, for that reason. However, it's an exploit of a class that's difficult to ban in organized play. It's hard to see a feasible rule that says you can't attack the AI and take its workers. Where do you draw the line? So it's something that I think most people agree we have to live with, even though the game would be better if it weren't possible.

I'm abit confused about how this in particular is an exploit, per se. Rather than make assumptions, I'll just ask. Heck, I'll even provide some questions to make this easier. Is it an exploit because the AI will not steal Workers from you? Is it an exploit because the AI will not retaliate and kill you because it has superior forces (in terms of quality and quantity)? Is it an exploit because, if initiated early enough, the AI will accept peace if it loses one of its units? Or is it merely an exploit because you choose not to use it, and therefore it must not be "pure?"

I understand how it would be hard to construct a feasible rule against it, but I'm still confused as to how it is an exploit.

By the way, did you design or test the game? (seriously; not sarcastically) You seem to have a very pure view of how it should be played, which I assume comes from some very close association with its development. I'm just trying to understand where you gained this view.

Top Bottom