Do Wonders cost too much to build?

Do Wonders cost too much to build?

• Yes

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 38 73.1%

• Total voters
Well it depends on if your playing as the Romans who get half price wonders in the Mideval era. If your playing as the Romans then the answer is cetrtain not.

Use a Great Builder?

Set your resources to favor production?

Build better production centers?

I certainly don't have this problem.

At first I was no good at building wonders, but I got a lot better at it. The key is customzing production, like with a lot of things in this game.

I actually think a lot of them cost too little. Manage to get a good city going for a cultural victory and you can easily build a low-cost wonder in 3-4 turns. Later on in the game it gets even easier because you can always rush one or two if not going for economic.

Compared to what? Its not as if they have increased their costs recently. Its just what the game is.

Also, they have to be expensive or else someone generating no culture at all could still win a cultural victory by rushing them.

I'm especially a fan of the Trade Fair. Get your money back if you rush it since it doubles your gold, and it lasts until Globalization - which usually takes a long time, if not till the end of the game (on Emperor).

I agree with the above point about customizing your cities and setting up your workers to build wonders.

It doesn't matter if you build them fast since the techs come in so quickly that they become obsolete even before you can enjoy the benefits.

Case in point. I built the Stonehenge and it took me what 20 turns. But it's useless until I learn Pottery and Ceremonial Burial. So another 12 turns go by. But 2 turns later, someone has already researched Literacy before I barely started building the first temple. So the Stonehenge is obsolete before I even had the chance to benefit from its bonus. Even if they didn't get Literacy that early, it would take 10 turns or so get my first temple. By then Literacy would have certainly been researched.

BTW theres a bug in DS. Somehow my Stonehenge turned into Great Pyramids.

I agree that some wonders are not worth the investment (Stone henge is one I'll not build more than once for the trophy) but that's not the rule with many of them (especially once you get past the ancient wonders)

Some wonders I don't build, because of how fast you/the AI can tech and obsolete the wonder. Like, Chinese American said, Stonehenge is a wonder that becomes obsolete fairly early, so its benefits don't really get used to their full potential. Some cases where I would build temples though, is maybe if your the Japanese, as you start with the ability to build temples, or if you discover the Ark of the Covenant somewhat early.

Other wonders are great, because their benefits last for awhile, like the Trade Fair. A few wonders don't get obsolete at all, so those ones are great, especially if you can rush them / get them early.

I don't however think that the cost of wonder's should get decreased. Even if it will become obsolete soon. You still get the bonus (albeit briefly), but you prevent anyone else from getting the wonder, and it counts towards cultural victory (which is already not that hard to achieve. If you made the cost of wonders even less, then cultural victory would be even more simple than domination).

How would you decrease the cost of wonders anyways? Because if you decreased the cost, shouldn't the benefit get decreased as well? Wouldn't that make them more like "better than average buildings"? I want a Wonder, something my civilization takes time and effort to build, and gives me a bonus or effect that no building can provide.

I would not mind paying for them if they delivered better benefits for longer. I can do without most of them. I would rather concentrate on buildings.

Not all of them, but holy crap, the ancient wonders cost too much to build, period. There is always many of them that never got built because by the time you finish them they are already obsolete. The rest are ok since in latter eras you get proper ways to have producion (delegations, workshops, factories, etc).

not many people know this but 1/2 cost wonders with romans!!!

not many people know this but 1/2 cost wonders with romans!!!

I think most people do know that actually ;)

But be careful, you spend too many hammers on Wonders, and you're lacking defense, and your enemies will see that. Don't be surprised if they march up to Rome with more armies than you can defend against. (At least in multiplayer, the AI is too stupid in single player to pose an actual threat)

Top Bottom