Do you cheat when you get beat to a wonder or city site?

Don't care about city states. I am OCD about wonders. The reason why I play for 6 hours and get only 100 turns done. I am trying to break out of this habit. Part of it is memorizing the relative wonder timings at Deity. I already know them concerning GL, Stonehenge, Oracle and Hagia Sophia, but there are wildcards that always tempt me. Sometimes the AI gets the Parthenon at turn 40, sometimes it's free at turn 80...

Also, I never rush the Hanging Gardens unless I'm Babylon. The tech path is simply too slow.

I have to LOL at the people who think rage quitting is morally superior to reloading. If reloading is cheating, then so is quitting! If quitting is not cheating, then reloading is not cheating. If you are not MP, not HOF, not GOTM (which are all MP variants actually), what possible set of criteria makes the one dishonest but not the other? This board fosters a warped (and counter-productive IMHO) attitude around reloading.

If you are playing at a sufficiently difficult level, you will make mistakes that can cost you the game. At any level, mistakes can make the game much less fun.

If you feel bad about it, just mentally chalk the reload as a loss, then reload as needed and (assuming you are enjoying the game) press on. Are you in a single player game? Are you learning to play better? Are you having fun? Okay then, it’s not cheating.

Yeah sometimes i do when they are snatching too many of my wonders one turn ahead of me. For example when you have lots of sea resources and get colossus snatched from you, or when you have a lot of quarries and the mausoleum is joinked. But on the other hand, most wonders are not that big of a loss and you still get a hefty sum of gold back from loosing a wonder race anyway.

Eh, I play each game to have a particular experience. If I miss out on a wonder which helps define that experience, I'll probably restart, because I'm not playing the game I wanted to play.

(Losing a city site is not a problem - I'll just raze the offending city to the ground).

Generally no, unless it is a very specific game with a very specific strategy in mind. Civ games are long, so if I am looking for a specific game where for example I want Stonehenge, I'm not going to miss out on it in the first 40 turns then play another 250 just so I can try again.

How is this cheating? I basically do it all the time (usually when beaten to a wonder, I simply ragequit), I find it that I reload when I misclick or I get DOW'd.

My last game as Morocco I missed Petra, Desert Folklore and got beat to every cty state quest that mattered. I didn't reload I just quit pre turn 100.

Petra is such a . Rushing commerce while builidng up your science as much as possible, the insane speed at which the AI gets it, this wonder drives me crazy.

Especially since the AI seems to target it when it really does not need to. I was Arabia with a sweet second city site made for Petra and was beaten to it...by a civ who built it in a city with ONE desert tile. And that was the ONLY desert tile in its empire. It was not the capital city if that matters...I did reload to try to get it, but alas, no matter how I tweaked it, my efforts failed. Just not enough production in my city.

Yeah, I cheat and reload if I get beaten by 1 turn. I know it's cheating, but the AI never caught me at it, so ...

Yeah, I cheat and reload if I get beaten by 1 turn.

I think the computer is cheating. In my recent immortal game I tried to hard build Cristo Redentor, not something I often go for. 13 turns.

Lose it by 1 turn. Reload to my oldest autosave (back 10 turns), set city manager to production focus, shaves 2 turns. Should be NP.

Lose Cristo by 1 turn, again!

Reload the save where I started CR. Hand tune production focus, 10 turns. Lose CR by 1 turn — for the third time! It sure feels like the AI caught me reloading! Are the developers really that clever (and evil)?

I think the computer is cheating. In my recent immortal game I tried to hard build Cristo Redentor, not something I often go for. 13 turns.

Lose it by 1 turn. Reload to my oldest autosave (back 10 turns), set city manager to production focus, shaves 2 turns. Should be NP.

Reload the save where I started CR. Hand tune production focus, 10 turns. Lose CR by 1 turn — for the third time! It sure feels like the AI caught me reloading! Are the developers really that clever (and evil)?
The AI gets mad bonuses at Deity. I hate when that happens, but oh well.

If they've got a spy or diplomat in your city, it's entirely possible the AI is aware of how many turns you have left to complete it and adjusts its own production accordingly.

I used to, but hey, I could always use the gold to help rush buy a building I missed instead. But on deity, unless I have a really solid production base, I don't generally bother building them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they've got a spy or diplomat in your city, it's entirely possible the AI is aware of how many turns you have left to complete it and adjusts its own production accordingly.
While that is theoretically possible, I doubt that AI is coded intelligently enough to do this ...

That is possible, if not probable. That is what a human player might do. But it is the sort of tedious micromanagement a program is good at. It is clever, but given how poor the AI is at combat, I think the developers made a poor choice with this behavior (if it was deliberate). It guarantees repeated Negative Play Experience for the player, almost certainly at all skill levels. It explains why people losing a wonder by 1 turn seems to be reported surprisingly frequently. Losing a wonders by 3 or 4 turns is not nearly as frustrating, nor as memorable.

While that is theoretically possible, I doubt that AI is coded intelligently enough to do this...

I think the AI is that clever (and evil), but that this a side-effect emergent behavior. Not something the developers did on purpose.

I used to, but hey, I could always use the gold to help rush buy a building I missed instead. But on deity, unless I have a really solid production base, I don't generally bother building them.

The fail gold is not sufficient in a tough game. Agreed, I rarely try to build wonders. I would have played through if I had lost by 3-4 turns. I could not abide the one turn loss, which led to this little experiment. And my conclusion that the AI is programmed to do this...

As a response to AI taking PEtra when it doesn't need to...

Petra in BNW is viable to go for even when you don't have a lot of desert. Sure, that single desert tile hill will get +1 food and +1 production, but you also get access to +1 max trade routes and a free caravan! That could also be how the AI thinks. And +6 culture when discovering... Archaeology I think.

ON TOPIC: I try not to, but if I did something STUPID (such as chain lost wonders) I will reload and try a different approach

Top Bottom