Do you cheat when you get beat to a wonder or city site?

and reload from a previous save?

Do you ever reload saves when something bad happens?

Never. The only time I go over is when I have a fingerslip and move a unit to the wrong tile or a braino and forget to do something tedious like changing research before an RA matures.

I don't have the option enabled that saves the game periodically, and I'm only operating on the base game so I don't don't know if other options exist, but there seems to be only a certain period of time in the beginning that I can "restart" the game but I haven't so far re-started because of a wonder. I guess it's because if I'm playing with all "win" options in tact I'm not sure in the beginning how I might go about it, science or culture, etc. I figure it something close to me gets the wonder I'll just try to take it later if I can. Most wonders in my game seem to be taken by city-states, or close to, so it doesn't matter much in the beginning.

If I get pipped to a wonder I don't reload: I usually have a little tantrum about the AI 'cheating'! Then when I've got that out of my system I remember that:

1. Adults aren't supposed to behave like that, apparently (Oops!)
2. I'm playing for a Dom victory anyway - it will be mine soon.

Rameses beat me to LTOP in my current game, when I thought it was 'in the bag' - and I was pretty damn annoyed! But on the bright side, guess who lives in Thebes now?

No, I hardly ever go back to reload to a place when things don't seem to be working well.

i'll only reload if i miss a wonder by 1 turn, and there was some chopable wood or smth nearby.

Other than that, it teaches me when I should and shouldn't aim for certain wonders.

I will, however, quit around turn 120-150 if:
I have yet to meet any other AI
I'm locked in a stalemate war (jungles, hills) where i've spent too much production on units that aren't getting anywhere, or
I realize that i'd have to grind out a win, taking the fun out of the game.

I never reload. I take whatever the new turn brings.

I might`ve reloaded once because I accidentally hit the wrong move, but even then I usually let it go.

yes. i use a mod to either delete their city, and plant one of my own, or to make their city mine as if it was mine never lost, so its like i founded it.

i got so frustrated with falling so far behind when i stepped up to chieftain i would quit being so far behind in tech, and no pantheon when all other civs have founded religions (thats how it felt) and seeing them found cities closer and closer to me when i am struggling to make my one or two grow and waiting too long for additional settlers to be built, and the other civ laughing at me when i say dont keep founding cities near me...so i got the IGE mod. thats how i cheat if i keep getting stupid messages like someone else has built every wonder i try to build EXACTLY one turn before hand. also i teleport units with it when they do idiotic stuff like embarking to move 2 hexes along a coast when staying on land is actually quicker. OH and i teleport great prophets of other civs if they insist on sending them into my land when i have my own religion...

well i dont actually do all that very often now, i seem to be doing better with chieftain now. but yes is the short answer. :lol:

and reload from a previous save?

Do you ever reload saves when something bad happens?

ALL the time. I save a GE, and only use him in emergencies, i.e., when I get beat to a wonder that I REALLY want, I reload and use the GE

Never. The only time I go over is when I have a fingerslip and move a unit to the wrong tile or a braino and forget to do something tedious like changing research before an RA matures.

Or I forgot my strategy and have to rewind 30 turns like just happened. :blush:

Alright, in second thought I do sometimes go back in a save state. Especially when I make a mistake or wrong move sometimes.

Rarely. The only time I've done this is when I was playing as Portugal and was beat to Petra by morroco, who literally had one desert tile that his city was on.

Haha I have a love-hate relationship with Wonders. I love getting them but it's so stressful, sometimes the best games are the ones where I deliberately choose not to build any wonders and simply warmonger and capture them from every other Civ...

The worst of these is obviously the Great Library

Shouldn't we really be allowed to build copies of this Wonder. I mean in the Classical world there were multiple 'Great Libraries' built by Egyptians (Alexandria), Greeks (Pergamum, Ephesus), Romans (Forum of Rome then Constantinople) and also by the Assyrians, Sassanid Persians and Indians.
I think the Great Library should become a National Wonder which counts for a normal library and has 2 slots for Great works of writing that generate 2 culture and 2 science (no tourism). After all it was the Great Library of Constantinople that did so much to preserve the Classical works of Plato and Aristotle that helped influence the renaissance and enlightenment of Western Europe. Sadly the Byzantine (East Roman) legacy of protecting Classical civilization and Western enlightenment is largely and wrongly forgotten.

Even more bizarrely some people seem to think it was Islam that was responsible for preserving the classical texts where in reality it was the Eastern Roman Empire that continued the legacy of the classical era past the downfall of the Western Roman Empire which inspired scholars from both Western Europe and the Islamic world to preserve and translate texts. The reality is that continued invasions by the Islamic Caliphates is what destroyed classical civilization in the Eastern Mediterranean in the cities of Alexandria, Ephesus and Antioch and brought about the 'dark ages'.

The posts about capturing wonders overlooks the point that many wonders have a principle benefit that is an instant effect.

I've restarted before but never cheated, largely because I don't know how.

OP has bought into the mindset that reloading is cheating. I feel pity for him, and anyone else who feels that way about single player games.

The posts about capturing wonders overlooks the point that many wonders have a principle benefit that is an instant effect.

OP has bought into the mindset that reloading is cheating. I feel pity for him, and anyone else who feels that way about single player games.

I`ll bite!
Why should you feel that strongly? I consider reloading as cheating even if singleplayer. Sure, you`re not cheating someone else, but you are still cheating yourself.

Me, personally, I just don`t feel like I`m telling the truth if I say, `I beat Civ5` on diety if I had to reload 50 times to do it.

I'll bite too...

I think the first point is a fair one; however, I think the second one reads a bit harsh.

The worst of these is obviously the Great Library
I feel like you could make this a National and somehow move the rest of the NWs up somehow (Great Library needs libraries, National College Universities, Oxford needs public schools?) I wonder how that'd affect the science curve.

I`ll bite!Why should you feel that strongly? I consider reloading as cheating even if singleplayer. Sure, you`re not cheating someone else, but you are still cheating yourself.

What am I cheating myself out of by reloading? I'll say preemptively that a sense of satisfaction/accomplishment/whatever is subjective. The important thing is getting enjoyment out of your purchase: if reloading accomplishes that, then by all means, reload away.

Me, personally, I just don`t feel like I`m telling the truth if I say, `I beat Civ5` on diety if I had to reload 50 times to do it.

But it IS the truth. You won. You beat the game. You might not have done it in the method or condition you'd have liked, but you went from the start of the game to the end of the game with yourself as the victor. "I beat the game on deity". You have a deity victory screen to prove it.

What am I cheating myself out of by reloading? I'll say preemptively that a sense of satisfaction/accomplishment/whatever is subjective. The important thing is getting enjoyment out of your purchase: if reloading accomplishes that, then by all means, reload away.

But it IS the truth. You won. You beat the game. You might not have done it in the method or condition you'd have liked, but you went from the start of the game to the end of the game with yourself as the victor. "I beat the game on deity". You have a deity victory screen to prove it.

I bet you say that to the teacher when you get someone else to pass your exams for you! :D

Whatever, it`s the way I see it and that won`t change. Sorry if you don`t agree. Well, actually, no I`m not. :D

You say you're cheating yourself by reloading. I'm just asking what you're cheating yourself out of. You can be flippant, dismissive, and avoid answering if you want.

Top Bottom