Do you save your allies?

You see, I'm playing a game as Morroco and my main ally is Russia. I notice a huge ship of about 12 going towards a weak Russian city, so I sacrifice my diplomacy and end up nuking the navy and saving Russia from disaster.

Have you guys ever done a huge favour for your allies in Civ 5 ?

I've liberated a lot of people, revived many civs, and helped then defend there land from retaliation. I've actually made good on defensive pacts before, if that means anything.

I'll do it if my ally's capital is taken or something. Then I"ll liberate it and destroy the invaders.

And do you guys do it for strategic value or just because they're your ally and you feel bad for them ?

Generally role playing reasons. If it is my long running rival that sacked an ally's city I'll go on a reconquista and liberate my fallen brothers from the tyrannical X. If I share there religion as the other side doesn't I'll wage holy war. If they are super unhappy with there new rulers (negative happiness) I'll liberate them due to "crimes against humanity" or some other humanitarian thing. If they were my trading allies the people will demand war so they can restock there supply of some decadent foreign good. Other times it is strategic, but often it's just for fun and just for something more active to do.

I'll save people who aren't even my allies. Example: Germany invades France. I like neither Germany nor France, but Germany is #1 in the game. Germany's army is trashed & wounded taking Paris, so this is my moment. Declare war on Germany, finish off wounded units, kill what's left. Paris is already trashed anyway, so might as well liberate it. But press my advantage into Germany, which is what I really want.

I save AI allies too, especially Sweden!

Heck,during the game I saved Russia, I saved it from SWEDEN and POLAND because I have like 20 technologies more than Russia :D

And do you guys do it for strategic value or just because they're your ally and you feel bad for them ?
More like role playing. Also, the AI have modifiers and are somewhat binded to go with those and a human doesnt. It's also just fairplay to me to not backstab them and protect them. Anyway I dont play much to win the fatest way but more sandboxing my games.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Yea its more about role playing, I like saving allies if I can.

More like role playing. Also, the AI have modifiers and are somewhat binded to go with those and a human doesnt. It's also just fairplay to me to not backstab them and protect them. Anyway I dont play much to win the fatest way but more sandboxing my games.

I like to play that same way. I don't usually make winning the priority, and if someone starts beating up on my good ally, they can expect to see me coming. :ar15::nono:

Part of it is roleplay, but there are also strategic reasons, such as when a civ's being conquered would make a powerful rival even more powerful, for example. In that case, I might intervene even if the civ being conquered isn't really friendly to me.

Short of direct military intervention, I'll give them "foreign aid" (free gold, luxuries, and strategic resources), "Lend-Lease" (free military units), block the invader's units with my own, everything to hinder the aggressor.

If all of that fails, then I can consider declaring war, depending on how strong the invader is and how strong my forces are, and how well-positioned they are. Even if you fail to protect the defending civ and it falls, all is not lost, as you can still liberate them afterwards.

Short of direct military intervention, I'll give them "foreign aid" (free gold, luxuries, and strategic resources), "Lend-Lease" (free military units).

Used to do this in Vanilla but all the AI was doing was running them around while their cities were being conquered. Is the AI better in BNW?

I generally save my allies if I think they've deserved it, from their actions in game. I normally wouldn't save Catherine (backstabbing *****!).

The problem with reviving dead Civs is that they come back so weak and so far behind technologically, literally every other civ denounces and DoWs the revived civ, hoping for easy gains. Maybe this is less of a factor in BNW, but the revived civ could have zero warmonger score yet even the most peaceful CiVs will try to gangbang it.

I suppose you could make a defensive pact with them and go to war with the whole world.

But really i think it's too late at that point - if a civ is worth saving, intervene before they loose their first city.

I'll hop in a war to help my ally if I'm feeling role-play-y or they're giving me a good trade. If not, I'll either let them lose and then attack or just backstab them.

Seems like in don't have AI allies, but rarely. When i do, i make a defensive pact. I have brought some back to life, and they become allies. I make a defensive pact to keep them alive. In my last game, i had reduced Dido and Spain to one city each, and they immediately declared war on the Celts, whom i had brought back. The pact activated for only Spain, but i saw a fleet from Dido approaching and eliminated it. I destroyed their armies and navies but did not want to take out the last city. They sued for peace, but refused to talk about making peace with the Celts.
Role play.

Also, something strange in the same game. The Zulu was no friend, but i revived him anyway, which made him a friend. two turns later he stole Combustion. I was already researching future techs, so didn't really care, and i might help him. But how could he do that in two turns?

Top Bottom