Do you save your allies?

Also, something strange in the same game. The Zulu was no friend, but i revived him anyway, which made him a friend. two turns later he stole Combustion. I was already researching future techs, so didn't really care, and i might help him. But how could he do that in two turns?

The amount of time it takes him to steal is the average tech cost of his era divided by the tech output of the city he chose. So if your capital is putting out 1000 beakers and he is far behind he can steal very, very fast. However, there is usually a downtime of 3 turns while the spy gets situated so even in this situation I would have guessed 6-7 turns or so, strange. Perhaps AI get revived with past infrastructure? I know their tech level is the same as death, possibly spy levels or placement too though I wouldn't have guessed it.

Used to do this in Vanilla but all the AI was doing was running them around while their cities were being conquered. Is the AI better in BNW?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I'd say the combat AI is better now than in vanilla. Still pretty stupid though. I normally only do these Lend-Lease programs when I have cities with no other good things to build, that can crank out these units in a few turns. Ideally I should also be near the civ I'm giving the units to so I can move the units into their territory quickly.

I save allies if I really, really like them or want to war the aggressor. ANother special case is I do revive extinct civs. They always get targeted by others afterward, but if you keep them alive they help you in world congress and will be the first targets, acting as a distraction to warmongers and taking the heat from you. I typically don't prematurely attack an aggressor fleet though as even my ally that I'm saving will still think I'm a warmonger doing that. I move troops into position and wait for the aggressor to strike, then I obliterate them so the target civ is clear on the fact that I'm helping them and not just squashing some random other civ. In your case, if they weren't already at war you just made everyone, including your friend, distrust you...

I built nukes and Sweden got afraid of me. Why would I ever attack Sweden if theyre giving me a DOF? Poor Gustavos.

I personally don't like to role-play, just not my thing. However, since I need to stay on-topic, I do liberate/save my allies. Most the time I let them die and liberate them so they are sort of in debt to me. I usually go for science and cultural victories, the more allies I have that are alive, the more control I have over the world congress.

I usually go for science and cultural victories, the more allies I have that are alive, the more control I have over the world congress.

World Congress might help you in terms of a cultural victory, but it won't help you in terms of science :sad:

World Congress might help you in terms of a cultural victory, but it won't help you in terms of science :sad:

Unless you pass Science Funding and make sure that Arts Funding doesn't pass so you can get your GSs faster.

You see, I'm playing a game as Morroco and my main ally is Russia.

In games terms, what do you mean by “ally” exactly? Anything more than trading partner / DoF / RAs?

I notice a huge ship of about 12 going towards a weak Russian city, so I sacrifice my diplomacy and end up nuking the navy and saving Russia from disaster.

Do you have a Defense Pact with Russia? Is Russia already at war with this other civ? Why the need to sacrifice your diplomacy by being the one the DoW? Why not sign a Defensive Pact, then let Russia take one turn of fire. So what if they loose one city?

Have you guys ever done a huge favor for your allies in Civ5?

Like others wrote, yes and it’s mostly RP for me. I like liberating CS, and not for any strategic reason. I like recalling enemies too, since they then become fast friends, even if it means letting them have their capital. If Russia is very weak, you might consider letting them get wiped out, then bring them back.

I will interfere in attacks by sending my units into the territory and placing them around the city that is being attacked, but without declaring war. It makes it hard for the attacker to get a melee unit up against the city, and a lot of attacking units get killed.

I will interfere in attacks by sending my units into the territory and placing them around the city that is being attacked, but without declaring war. It makes it hard for the attacker to get a melee unit up against the city, and a lot of attacking units get killed.

Don't you like to roleplay though and just do like a REAL military intervention and fight the invader type of thing?

only when that ally is a civ that I revived (and almost getting eliminated, again). the +3 delegate makes you that much closer to diplo vitory, you know.

there's a strategy that revolves around this, early midgame you attack a weak civ, then bribe another warmonger civ to attack them. hopefully the warmonger eliminates the weakling, while you get the weakling's capital. after 2 or 3 more conquests this way, attack the warmonger and liberate the others. fun!

I do attempt to save who I see as friends. The act of moving an large army into one of your allies is generally enough to save them unless you're in bottom half and fighting no.1 who actually have a large military and that all their points didn't come from world wonders.

i dont like saving allies who do dumb things like form a defensive pact then declare war on half the world. i once had a pact with persia and the aztecs attacked them. i didnt manage to get there in time to prevent one city falling, but i liberated it; aztecs gave me their second largest city in the peace settlement but the same turn as that war ended persia attacked rome and lost the city i liberated again, to the romans. i didnt bother liberating it that time, since persia made the DoW i wasnt obliged by the pact to join in. i also resurrected assyria (a long time enemy and we despised each other) just to form a buffer zone against napoleon, but mostly with allies if they have been ok with me i will liberate their cities if they fall if they do stupid things i wont bother. i usually wage war on my own since none of them seem to want to join in when i ask.

I generally save my allies if I think they've deserved it, from their actions in game. I normally wouldn't save Catherine (backstabbing *****!).

Funny, as I was thinking the on the irony as I resurrected Russia in my last game. I was planning on playing a mostly peaceful game as I was allied with most of the civs except Greece and France. Sweden kept picking off Russian cities, but Greece had St. Petersburg. So as I was warring with Greece, Sweden took Moscow, wiping out the Russians. I took St Pete, liberated it and got Catherine's 4 votes to get the diplo victory. But her personality was definitely on my mind as I did it...

I save my allies plenty of times... I have brought back allies back to life also..

Top Bottom