Do you think future civ games should bother with Mac?

Kimurae

Chieftain
Civ VI doesn't really work on Mac most of the time, so I wonder if there's even a point to having future civs on Mac if they're not going to get the TLC to actually work?

I've been using the xbox one version since they removed the OpenGL option. Reading the forum posts it just seems like all the Mac port has done for Firaxis is give them a bad reputation.

Firaxis is doing a fine job. They need to move away from Aspyr in the future, however. It’s them that’s gotten the bad reputation from all of this. Someone like Feral Interactive would do a much better job porting to the Mac.

Civ VI doesn't really work on Mac most of the time
My anecdote disagrees with your anecdote.

If anything, the refusal to allow deeper modding of Civ VI has reduced the disadvantage of being on a Mac.

In my experience, Aspyr has done a very good job in delivering a stable and mostly bug-free game. The only real exception was a regression in an earlier build where fullscreen mode didn’t work.

In my experience, Aspyr has done a very good job in delivering a stable and mostly bug-free game. The only real exception was a regression in an earlier build where fullscreen mode didn’t work.

This has not been my experience. On recent hardware the game crashes occasionally and freezes more frequently, corrupting the graphics of the system, requiring a reboot. The latter may be a driver issue or it may be not using the graphics correctly. This is with the 2020 iMac with Radeon 5700XT graphics.

Solid on Mac Pro. The only issue; I have to physically disconnect my second monitor before launching the game.

This has not been my experience. On recent hardware the game crashes occasionally and freezes more frequently, corrupting the graphics of the system, requiring a reboot. The latter may be a driver issue or it may be not using the graphics correctly. This is with the 2020 iMac with Radeon 5700XT graphics.

Yep, I have 2020 iMac as well and it freezes regularly. I don't have this problem on my 2019 MacBook Pro 16". Same video settings.

I've been playing since it was on 2 floppies, I plan on playing CIV till the day I die.

Civ VI doesn't really work on Mac most of the time, so I wonder if there's even a point to having future civs on Mac if they're not going to get the TLC to actually work?

I've been using the xbox one version since they removed the OpenGL option. Reading the forum posts it just seems like all the Mac port has done for Firaxis is give them a bad reputation.

Works great for me on the Mac other than the ability the change resolutions of full screen easily after display reconfig.

Plays especially well on the M1 Mac - even under Rosetta. No constant fan noise, but fast. Have seen two crashes in that config during many hours of game play but usually don’t lose any state...

I've had no significant performance issues on my 2018 MacBook pro. The updates do lag the PC crowd by a couple weeks, but that's not a big deal.

I’ve played every version of Civ since Civ 1 in 1993 on Mac so I sure hope they keep supporting it! Except I switched from Mac to iPad for gathering storm. It seems they’re not updating iOS anymore though, so perhaps I’ll try gathering storm on my 2017 iMac and see how it does.

Top Bottom