Does Science Prove that Physicalism is True? No.

MPorciusCatoCivver

Chief Windbag
I guess I could summarize in a very brief, neat, shell like fashion, this way.

I took this from the "God and Trump" thread, btw.

I'm not really interested in debating or affirming whether Trump has been divinely annointed, but just to correct some points.

First of all, I take a realist, mixed, Plato-Aristotle approach to knowledge. This has important ramifications in all fields of knowledge.

So straight to the point: one of the most powerful myths advocated by Enlightenment thinkers is that the onset of the Physical Sciences has completely, instead of just partially liberated them from natural philosophy.

This is wrong wrong wrong.

For one thing, physics can only tell us what and how (according to a simplified definition) physical substances in nature exist. It is powerless to go beyond this.

For one thing, we have a field of study - ontology - which classifies how physical knowledge operates and how much it can tell us. And we have physics itself, telling us, hey, that's the properties of natural objects described mathematically. It has always been like that.

So the claim is, when we're saying we can eliminate metaphysics or that metaphysics doesn't make sense, we're appealing to a circular and fallacious logic.

Physics can tell us what an atom looks like, but it can never proof if "atomism", the idea first advanced by Democritus that atoms are the smallest indivisible parts of reality, is true.

Physics can describe the regularity of planetary movements, or the regularity of natural instances, but the fundamental definition of what a natural law is is beyond physics.

Similarly, the fact that physics can operate and describe a myriad of natural events independently, doesn't prove that physicalism - the idea that only physical entities exist and things like qualia or the mind are unreal - it doesn't go an inch in proving this.

All of this belongs to another field of inquiry. And we can say this for certain, this is the fundamental step that most naturalists and atheists miss when they proclaim the so-called "triumph" of scientism over metaphysics: they don't know that the physical sciences will never validate their own statements, and that the descriptions of physical objects according to mathematics or the idea of a natural law are not exactly exhaustible or even unquestionable and self-sufficient, in themselves.

As for what metaphysics pertains, well, it pertains to a different layer of understanding. To define and understand what a natural law is, we need metaphysics. To define and accept that reality is made of atomism or hylemorphism, we need metaphysics. To define and understand that numbers correspond to reality and aren't just virtual entities in our mind, we need metaphysics.

It doesn't matter here whether one is Hegelian, Aristotelian or Humean, once you make statements that pertain to natural philosophy, you're in a domain where you can be questioned solely according to natural philosophy.

And to sum up very briefly, the materialist, reductionist, hard mechanistic account fails to account for why the mind exists, for why qualia exist in nature, it even fails to account for why things like causality or a law of nature exists. They cannot define such things, and they become increasingly restricted to a picture of the world that is way too simplified, stripped, and inconsistent.

Similarly, empiricism cannot account for natural philosophy or even fundamental ontology. It is too restricted, too centered upon a problematic account of abstraction and causation, and also ends up being unable to explain how the very nature of physics operates without collapsing itself in dichotomies, like, "are laws of nature mere coincidental regularities?", and so on.

A succesful questioning of how empiricism can't even define what a law of nature is was brought in a phil site. Basically, if we take hard empiricism for granted, there's no way we can have the conceptual tools we need to explain the need for a law of nature to be a fundamental rule, instead of a mere regularity.

So it goes on as saying, there's plenty of refutations of physicalism out there, and physicalism is not the most end of it all just because we have found out some properties and laws of nature, for the reasons I've very briefly summarized. There's no way physics can prove this or that, it's outside the domain of physics.

Ohforpetessake... it's deja vuism all over again. :shake:

We get it. You hate physics, you don't understand the scientific method, and you think you get to s'plain atheism to atheists.

Been there, done that. If you didn't convince us in the last thread, you're not going to succeed in this thread.

Eh, the line between physics and meta-physics is blurry anyway and physicists tend to dabble in meta-physics anyway (if only to determine whether it isn't physics after all). So this feels like some kind of strawman?

Actually I think the reverse is much more often the case: people engaging in meta-physics while being in ignorance of physics.

Eh, the line between physics and meta-physics is blurry anyway and physicists tend to dabble in meta-physics anyway (if only to determine whether it isn't physics after all). So this feels like some kind of strawman?

Actually I think the reverse is much more often the case: people engaging in meta-physics while being in ignorance of physics.

The thing is we have to define and know the limits and scope of both.

But I think the greatest argument against physicalism, hard determinism and empiricism is the fact that hard sciences like the physics in themselves open to a myriad of interpretations.

If they were so inequivocal about how nature works beyond their scope describing natural properties, we would have an inequivocal picture of how nature works. But we don't have that. That's not self-evident.

Instead we have a myriad of interprations going in manifold ways. Just like we did before Newton and Galileo. This in itself proves that the divion Aristotle makes between Physics and Ontology has never really been bridged, or circumvented, or even destroyed, for a better one.

As to what concerns atheism and theism, I'm not really concerned with that, but only to describe how different interpretations - not necessarily wrong - lead to different roads.

we can eliminate metaphysics or that metaphysics doesn't make sense, we're appealing to a circular and fallacious logic.

I have seen this argument, science dosnt have a means currently to measure the metaphysical
To that I ask do you believe in things without evidence ?

Do you believe in Aliens ? Ghosts ? Farie ? Spirits ? Chaos gods ? Should we rule them out or should I start worshiping Khorne just in case because I cannot rule this out ?

Last edited:
I have seen this argument, science dosnt have a means current to measure the metaphysical

Do you believe in Aliens ? Ghosts ? Farie ? Spirits ? Chaos gods ? Should we rule them out or should I start worshiping Khorne just in case because I cannot rule this out ?

Can Physics eliminate ontology when it cannot tell us if numbers are real entities, if a law of nature is a mere regularity or not, if atoms are really the smallest indivisible components of reality, or if the use of machine-like models of representtion proves beyond doubt that all reality is just a mechanism. No. That's the domain of ontology and natural philosophy.

I'm experiencing a case of sudden nuclear fission of threads :crazyeye: .

I have seen this argument, science dosnt have a means current to measure the metaphysical

Also a more fundamental question is... Can physics determine the nature of the mind? Can physics fully measure the mind?

No.

As for religion, I'm not going to say anything because it's a totally different domain and also outside the scope of physics.

The thing is we have to define and know the limits and scope of both.

The things is, we can't know the limits. We can speculate and believe, but you will never know when someone comes up with a mathematical and measurable description of something that was thought to be in the meta-physical realm. Or someone comes up with an equally valid alternative formulation of something we thought settled. The boundary is always in flux and if you do not recognize that, you should be learning more about physics before trying to engage with meta-physics.

I’m not sure I grasp this. I probably don’t.

What is an empirical truth? If I say “I am here,” which seems as close to as an empirically true statement as I can make, how do I prove that? Even if I proved it, scientifically, of what use or consequence would it be? But then applied to other questions, its use is more important by many orders of magnitude.

Never took philosophy or physics. I got into supermarkets.

The greatest physicists on this planet are stumped when asked the question: what is reality?

I'm not sure who the enlightenment thinkers are the OP is refering to. As far as I understood enlightenment simply means prefering science (or rationalism) over religion (or tradition).

What is an empirical truth? If I say “I am here,” which seems as close to as an empirically true statement as I can make, how do I prove that? Even if I proved it, scientifically, of what use or consequence would it be? But then applied to other questions, its use is more important by many orders of magnitude.

You don't prove it. You collect enough evidence until you are convinced that you are indeed here. How much evidence you need, depends on your skepticism. And if you want to convince someone else, that you are here, you might want to collect and/or create even more evidence until you meet that person's threshold. And then there will be that one persons who will believe that you are not here, but just bytes in a simulation and no evidence will convince them otherwise. And then you shrug with your shoulders and go one with your life.

I'm just gonna sum it up this way:

Can science prove answer everything at present? No.

Will it ever be able? Maybe. That's the way of science. With every answer, it finds new questions and expands its scope. Two thousand years ago, flight of birds and insects, lightning and many other phenomena were beyond understanding. Today they are not. We won't be able to find limits of science until, and if, we run smack into them.

Is that a reason to jump after an unprovable explanation by some priest, guru or whoever just because we like it? Absolutely no.

The universe is complex seems to be the main point. No, physics can't prove everything, but it doesn't need to in many instances, which is why there are psychiatrists and physicians, why there are geologists, why there are anthropologists, etc. Physics is only one branch of human thought and practice.

Also a more fundamental question is... Can physics determine the nature of the mind? Can physics fully measure the mind?
No.

Science cannot explain a LOT of things
But it is so far the best system we have of understanding things

Why would you use a system that ask you to believe in things without evidence ? Anyone can make any claim that they experience God(s), Spirits, Reincarnation, Angels etc
How dose your system solves which one is TRUE from FALSE ?

OP doesn't ask a question.

Not enough of a metaphysician to know whether that violates a natural law. But it's against the conventions of discussion on this discussion forum.

I guess I could summarize in a very brief, neat, shell like fashion, this way.

Blah blah blah rant against science because atoms are made up of parts.
So you have had your rant. We all know that science cannot explain everything, but what it can explain it does so pretty well. What's next? Is there something better? Philosophy explains nothing; it just "talks". Is there a point to the thread besides your rant?

Top Bottom