Does warmonger hate decay?

My brother start playing the game and he had a question about warmonger hate however i couldn't answer him so maybe you can (i stopped playing the game )

My brother was playing as shaka on a standard pangea map he started next to dido so he went straight to construction and masonory for walls and composite it actualy worked and dido declared war on askia instead of him.
He used the basic strategy going for liberty built 2 cities build national college after that expand more he finishes liberty gets a free great scientist for a accedemy so he can go straight to civil service

know he has imphi's and catapults he decides to declare war on dido for more land he captures the capital and a other city then makes peace.

A lot of leaders have the we hate warmongers modifier.
light modifier
Askia(looks over)
suileman
assyria

high modifier
marocco
ethiopia
egypte
dido

he decides to build up and go for a science victory the funny part is in the industrial era the high flavor leaders like ethiopia still dislike his warmonger from the medieval ?

It has been 150 turns since the capturing of the capital does warmonger hate decay or does the Ai keeps hating you for it seems a little bit b roken .

I have found that early wars including wiping people out can eventually fade away over time in my games. Some civs seem to forgive and forget earlier than others but I find by the modern era my medieval wars are forgotten.

I have found that early wars including wiping people out can eventually fade away over time in my games. Some civs seem to forgive and forget earlier than others but I find by the modern era my medieval wars are forgotten.

Modern era isn't that long? we will see my brother will play the game next week see when the penalty fades away eventualy

if it is true what you say thats verry long that means its noth worth capturing cities in the early game

It can be worth it if you doubled the size of your empire by doing it. I find I often need to conquer some AI cities to keep up with runaways on other continents.

Modern is just when the modifiers usually drop completely. They usually start working with me on trade deals if not completely "fair" ones prior to the modifiers dropping.

It can be worth it if you doubled the size of your empire by doing it.
Yes, in certain situations the warmonger penalty is an acceptable price. If you can plan for it by befriending or gifting luxuries to the AI civs which get most vexed by war (e.g. Siam or Polynesia,) some of the worst may be avoided.

Does the rate of decay for the warmonger penalty depend on the severity of the judgment against you? If a civ is merely concerned about your warmongering does the decay quicker than if that civ considers you a global menace?

There are two types of warmonger penalties. Declaring war and particularly capturing another player's cities will give you a warmonger score, which will decay over time, albeit at a ridiculously slow rate. It can take several hundred turns to wear down the penalty for eliminating one civ.

You will also get a warmonger thread level based on how big a percentage of civs in game you have eliminated. This thread level does not decay with time, so once you've been hit by this, it will stay permanently.

There are two types of warmonger penalties. Declaring war and particularly capturing another player's cities will give you a warmonger score, which will decay over time, albeit at a ridiculously slow rate. It can take several hundred turns to wear down the penalty for eliminating one civ.

You will also get a warmonger thread level based on how big a percentage of civs in game you have eliminated. This thread level does not decay with time, so once you've been hit by this, it will stay permanently.

Don't forget the "broken your word when asked to move troops away from my borders" penalty. Not only does this warmonger penalty stay forever, EVERY player dislikes you for this, even ones that you never meet.

Anyone else who is at war with your target will only give you half the normal penalty. So bribe your friends into war before attacking.

So you don't see its unbalanced that it takes 150 or 200 turns before a modifier decays

Thats how long it takes to completely decay. You can still make friends while carrying some warmonger modifiers by using the positive modifiers available to you.

Most of the penalties take too long to decay, while positive modifiers seem to take almost no time to disappear. I played a game where I warred until turn 350 or so on marathon speed, and Hiawatha and Halle Sellase (sorry if I misspelled) continued to have all penalties until the game ended on turn 679. The warmonger penalty went slightly down at that point, from dark age hate to just global prominence hate, so it does decay some, but it might as well not because it's sooooo slow. Other penalties, like when they demanded I move my troops, never seem to decay, period. I think that's pretty unrealistic in real life. I mean, if France and Germany can mend relations enough to form an economic union 50 years after having fought their last of four wars within a 150 year period, then I think Civ 5 could use with a little more forgiveness too.

Better than the silence of the lambs. If one player is playing it as a war game, the AI needs to recognize that helping this player in any way is hastening it's own demise. Sure, he's killing my enemy now, but then who's next? Not that you can't break some skulls in this game and have some people still be your friend, you just can't keep everyone happy. Which I believe was also on a fortune cookie.

Making a DoW = 50 turns to eliminate the warmonger.
Capturing civ only City Early = ~250 turns to eliminate the warmonger penalty.

Have fun with that.

I Captured a civ very early and there were 3 other civ's that witness my crime. China recovered quick but Maya and Japan stayed angry. Then Maya bribed China to declare war on me. Now I cannot find any friends. .....250 is huge,, now i know.

It depends on the civ, as some have more tolerance than others. Ethiopia is one such civ that will forgive and forget quicker than say Elizabeth who is prolly one of the biggest hypocrites in the game(in regards to warmongering). You can offset by either liberating or piling up the positive diplo modifiers. Just remember not to denounce back.

Liberating cities is also a good way to counteract warmonger penalties.

Liberating cities is also a good way to counteract warmonger penalties.
Except this requires that a) an AI has captured some cities, and b) you actually want to bring that person back to life. Given the AI's miserable ability at capturing cities in the first plays, this is something that only rarely seems to come into play.

Top Bottom