Does your Civ choice affect starting area?

nemesis464

Chieftain
Eg: Sweden starting near snow, Brazil near jungle etc

Some Civs have start biases, which makes it more likely for them to start in or near a certain area. Russia is more likely to start in the Tundra, Morocco in the Desert, and Brazil in the Jungle.

There are four Start Bias options: Start Along Ocean, Start Along River, Start Region Priority and Start Region Avoid.

Only the first section containing an entry for a civ is applied, the priorities are the order I listed them. So, if a civ appears in Start Along Ocean any references to that Civ in the other three are ignored.

The last two (Region Priority and Region Avoid) support multiple entries in the category - For Priority, the first gets highest preference and the later ones are fallbacks if the first condition cannot be met while Avoid applies all entries but if one cannot be met (meaning no Desert on an all Desert map, for example) it is ignored.

Not every Civ has an entry, but of those that do it will affect your start. You'll almost always have a coastal start with England, Ottomans or Japan and Aztecs will usually be near Jungle (they may be on the northern or southern edge of it but there should be Jungle nearby).

Even if your civ has no start bias, if AI Civs are included that do there will be an effect on your start... since their priorities can soak up locations that you might otherwise have gotten, leaving fewer choices when it becomes time to place your civ.

Yes, and every other civ has their preferred location supplied as well. I get nervous around the borders early game: if I'm not a jungle civ but I see a big jungle, I worry about Aztecs

Dreadful neighbors, Aztecs.

There is also Venice, which is, apparently, coded to get the best start location in the game, whatever that means. From what I've seen they're almost always coastal, in highly fertile land, have balanced surroundings, and have quite a few luxuries. Only fair, I guess, considering they can only ever settle one city.

There is also Venice, which is, apparently, coded to get the best start location in the game, whatever that means. From what I've seen they're almost always coastal, in highly fertile land, have balanced surroundings, and have quite a few luxuries. Only fair, I guess, considering they can only ever settle one city.

Coastal city start bias get the first priority for placement and Venice has a special flag of <PlaceFirst> set to True so Venice will always be the first civ placed and that usually means they get the choicest location.

Venice starts on best possible coastal spot every time. If Venice is on game their starting place is selected first. Maddjinn told this on one of his let's plays

Top Bottom