Dont like FB...

BSPollux

Deity
The question is stupid, but I dont want to give up all hope before asking it:

Will there ever be a way to access this game anyhow without having to use Facebook?

Yes its a FB game, but Im think along the way of identifying myself with some other tool or programm. there are games that can be played with or without a fb account, so possibly...

I will never create a FB account.

Considering it's using facebook credits as a transaction system rather then their own proprietary - it's highly doubtful.

Given the nature of the "game", which does NOT contain the fundamental elements of Civilization, and which is designed to obtain real money from underage kids, its probably good.

I still teach Civ II, Civ IV, and even some Civ V, to kids who are not even teens yet; and in less than 2 days now, two parents have complained to me (as a known Civ advocate) regarding this "Civ" since it was assumed it was just a kind of Java version of a trustable "Civilization" game. The parents strongly disagree this Facebook civ is suitable for kids --- though not on the failure of the underlying 4E design, but on the real issue. I'm told they forbid their kids from using it; now that I have learned about it, I agree with them, and strongly resent that a good franchise and its automatic trust is transferred into what amounts to a money siphon which targets and ambushes the underage.

The parents strongly disagree this Facebook civ is suitable for kids --- though not on the failure of the underlying 4E design, but on the real issue. I'm told they forbid their kids from using it; now that I have learned about it, I agree with them, and strongly resent that a good franchise and its automatic trust is transferred into what amounts to a money siphon which targets and ambushes the underage.

Care to elaborate?

The issue that was first raised to me making me aware of this was the money connection, and the psychology invoved in shaping the younger people's mental and emotional outlook and translating this into a need to pay real money. This is well understood in academia, and the morality of doing this with children as the unsuspecting target has been debated both in academia, and in the corporate world, since at least 2004. Though this is certainly not the first, nor the most blatant, nor the most vile, of these genre of games, I had no idea that the Civilization franchise would use its strong positive image to mask the darker side of this kind of "game" which has a Civ label on Facebook.

Its a profound disappointment, and a huge black mark on "Civilization" that this project has risen even to the "beta" stage, and carries Sid's name as "designer". A dark dark day for Civilization indeed.

The issue that was first raised to me making me aware of this was the money connection, and the psychology invoved in shaping the younger people's mental and emotional outlook and translating this into a need to pay real money. This is well understood in academia, and the morality of doing this with children as the unsuspecting target has been debated both in academia, and in the corporate world, since at least 2004.

Would love to see said articles in an accredited journal - do you have links?

Would also like to know how this is targeting 'underage kids' and attempting to siphon money form them specifically. I've never once seen a chart or any other 'evidence' showing the demographics of people who pay/play social networking games.

Moderator Action: Most of these responses are not making an attempt to answer the OP question. Please do so.

i have seen games that are not on facebook get added, but not the other way arount. its rare but its all computers so anything is possible ")

Why can't you just make a Facebook. Civ World ain't gonna be playable without FB.

I dont like the businessidea of facebook and dont want to support it.

Its like demanding me to do something realy wrong, they could as well demand a KuKluxKlan membership from me in order to play ;-)

as long as you put a game name on the Facebook people you know wont bug you. then just only log in to play civ world, stick it to the modern trend!! just have 0 friends ;)

Top Bottom