Download and Screenshots

D/L'ing Now!
Thank you LunarMongoose!!! :D

JosEPh

Version 4.2a has been posted.

This version does NOT break 4.2 save files, and is specifically designed to be 100% safe to apply in the middle of a 4.2 game. Please update to it, as it is a small download and does fix a common crash bug!

Brief Summary:
* 2 Major Bugfixes: Silk Road effect not working, and crash when game creates a new Colony empire under AI control
* Bunch more UI text and color updates that didn't make it into 4.2
* Starship component success chance and travel speed update
* Several fixes and improvements to the Domestic Advisor, new Project list in the Info Advisor Statistics tab, and option to toggle Alphabetical Sorting on/off in the Sevopedia

Just a heads up that it looks like the 4.2 version can not be downloaded from the link at the head of this thread; only the 4.2a patch is available. And. yes, I’m happy that you’re still modding Civ4; I won’t play Civ5/Civ6 myself because 1) I don’t like Steam 2) I think they dumbed down the game after Civ4 to get more sales, but I would rather have a complex deep game (these days, the games at http://www.vrdesigns.net/ are more to my liking than post-4 Civ)

Just a heads up that it looks like the 4.2 version can not be downloaded from the link at the head of this thread; only the 4.2a patch is available.

Not from the main download button, no. You can if you go to the Version History tab where both links are shown. Though admittedly that may not be an ideal way to set it up. :p Sorry, this was my first time using the new-fangled forum's new-fangled file management system, and I was trying to cram both into a single entry.

I could make a full 4.2a zip but I'd rather keep them separate, so I guess I'll go back to a direct link for the patch, heh.

And. yes, I’m happy that you’re still modding Civ4; I won’t play Civ5/Civ6 myself because 1) I don’t like Steam 2) I think they dumbed down the game after Civ4 to get more sales, but I would rather have a complex deep game

I'm forced to use Steam these days for GalCiv3, but that's okay, I can tolerate it as long as that's ALL it's for. But yes me too 100% on 2) - that's why I'm still here. :)

Alright, I deleted and re-entered the 4.2a "Update" entry to still use the main 4.2 download link so the Resource page still has 4.2 on the "Download Now" button. Then I added a direct link to the small 4.2a Patch file in the Overview text, and also here in the Download sticky.

Hopefully that's clearer and easier to use. :)

Thanks! I’ve downloaded the latest version and am looking forward to having a chance to give it a spin to see how it’s doing (as an aside, one modern programming practice is something called “continuous integration” where, if properly done for a Civ4 mod, would have every single update be automatically fully built as a setup.exe file)

(as an aside, one modern programming practice is something called “continuous integration” where, if properly done for a Civ4 mod, would have every single update be automatically fully built as a setup.exe file)

A long time ago I used to post full versions even with the minor updates, and people complained quite loudly at having to re-download 500+ MB each time, so I switched to doing it this way.

As for setup.exe, absolutely not. Never. Sorry but I DESPISE installers and ALWAYS look for "portable" versions whenever I need to find new software for personal use. As it is I've had to create a very long, very detailed set of notes for all the programs I use so I can keep track of which ones require using installers, what libraries they install so I can manage the duplicates, what installation settings to use so nothing gets messed up and I only get the parts I want, etc. I was actually reinstalling Windows 10 several times in the last year and my notes helped a ton. I think I've FINALLY got the process streamlined now after much work, heh.

Top Bottom