DS Version Impressions and Q&A

how do I take cities in the DS version - I beat the defending army - how do u take over the city?

OliverFA that's a brash statement considering it has the same features and gameplay elements, more or less, as the console versions.

Should all of them not be deserving to be part of the franchise?

Are you sure they have the same features? Maybe they have the same core, but definitely not the same features. I have not seen the XBOX or PS3 versions in live, but for what reviews tell, the DS version has a lot less interface features. For example, go to one of your cities, list your buildings and wonders. Oh yes, you see a picture of it. But... Which are their effects? That's a missing feature.

OliverFA that's a brash statement considering it has the same features and gameplay elements, more or less, as the console versions.

Should all of them not be deserving to be part of the franchise?

I don't see what the problem is, graphics aren't everything. Sid said they wanted it fast and easy for everyone. I've played Civ2, Civ3, Civ4 and the PS3 and DS versions. They're all great! Like it or not, it's part of the Civ franchise.

I don't see what the problem is, graphics aren't everything. Sid said they wanted it fast and easy for everyone. I've played Civ2, Civ3, Civ4 and the PS3 and DS versions. They're all great! Like it or not, it's part of the Civ franchise.

Agreed. Graphics aren't everything. I don't need super-high-quality graphics. But I also don't want the opposite.

how do I take cities in the DS version - I beat the defending army - how do u take over the city?

You automatically take over the city when all defending units have been defeated. Sometimes talking to the other leaders will reveal how many units are in a city.

Are you sure they have the same features? Maybe they have the same core, but definitely not the same features. I have not seen the XBOX or PS3 versions in live, but for what reviews tell, the DS version has a lot less interface features. For example, go to one of your cities, list your buildings and wonders. Oh yes, you see a picture of it. But... Which are their effects? That's a missing feature.

Ya the UI is what needs the most improvement. Missing Civopedia, adjustable tax/science rates, mini-map, stats and infos, etc. (oh yeah, no dancing bears :sad:)

Civ Rev on DS takes up 64M. If they removed just one save game, that should be plenty of memory to make a better UI. Although, time is the other constraint.

It's still an addictive game, but they could have made a much better impression if they polished the UI. Anyway, I'm off to lunch and bringing my DS with me. :goodjob:

I will be buying a DS soon just to pickup a copy of civ rev. I will also get advance wars days of ruin. I have read alot of good stuff about civ rev especially on the DS because it is so portable.

Civ Rev on DS takes up 64M. If they removed just one save game, that should be plenty of memory to make a better UI. Although, time is the other constraint.

CivRev is actually less than 40MB total including the save file. There are numerous DS games that top out at 128MB, so they had plenty to work with if they had wanted. And the difference in cost between the two different sized carts is practically zero. The actual flash rom itself costs almost nothing, so a change in size is nothing. Its the actual manufacturing of the cart it self, flashing the rom, labeling the cart, and packing it all that costs quite a bit.

But I definitely agree the UI is really half assed in this game.

I don't mind the UI actually. What I don't like it is the jerky graphics like it has slowdowns. Theres no reason for it!

Also whats with the missing features like disbanding units?

Still a damn fun game though!

Okay, just a question to see if anyone knows. On the screen where you select the civ you want to play as, up at the top there are four grayed out symbols. I just played my first game, and now some are colored gold, like I earned medals or something. The manual does not make mention of this, and I want to know what they are, if you actually do earn them, and what the requirements are to earn them.

Okay, just a question to see if anyone knows. On the screen where you select the civ you want to play as, up at the top there are four grayed out symbols. I just played my first game, and now some are colored gold, like I earned medals or something. The manual does not make mention of this, and I want to know what they are, if you actually do earn them, and what the requirements are to earn them.
Those 'medals' indicate if you've won with that civilzation and under what victory condition.

Mask = culture
Sword = domination
Shuttle = tech
coins = economic

Ds version is nice BUT....

- where are the infos on buildings?
- where is the gold/science bar?
- where are the animation sequences?
- where is the "disband unit" features?

If you come from the old Civ1 school you will see a better game that was included in a 80286 with 640k RAM that is slower than DS...

I hoped in the cartdrige could be put some jpg of intro or sort of... nothing...
bah....

A number of DS questions

1) How do I tell who I am at war with. I go to the Diplomacy Screen and see the other 4 Leaders. I expect to see a dove or sword on the leader's image but it is not there, also the upper screen doesn't say the war status. The only way I can tell is talk to them, there has to be an easier why to tell who is at war with you.

2) How do I tell the nationality of a unit on the map? I scroll over the unit with the Yellow box and all it says is warrior etc. The colors sometimes work but some nations have very similar colors. Any easy way?

Those 'medals' indicate if you've won with that civilzation and under what victory condition.

Mask = culture
Sword = domination
Shuttle = tech
coins = economic

And, they're specific to each difficulty level. Meaning you can win by all 4 victory conditions w/, say the Americans, on Chieftain; however, once you move to Warlords w/ the Americans, you'll notice no medals. So, you've got to win w/ each civ 20x (5 difficulty levels x 4 victory conditions) to complete them.

I agree Civ on the go on the DS is very cool, but I sure wish they had not omitted so much key info. Top things I've noticed --

* I can't tell when my planes are out of gas and about to crash

* I rarely can tell the attack power of either my units or the enemy, even during battle, without the scout ability (unlike 360)

* It is awkward to see what units are defending all my cities

* It is not always clear if I am fighting an army or unit

Also, I miss the rally and retire buttons from the 360. And the buttons are not the same as the 360, creating confusion (x/y reversed, left/right shoulder reversed, etc.)

All in all, I do like Civ DS, but its controls and info need work; they are neither as good as Civ 360 or Advance Wars. It's too bad the DS doesn't allow patches.

* I can't tell when my planes are out of gas and about to crash

They have to finish their second turn in a city. IOW, on turn 1 you attack or move toward a city that's too far for 1 turn movement. Then, on turn 2, park it in a city.

They have to finish their second turn in a city. IOW, on turn 1 you attack or move toward a city that's too far for 1 turn movement. Then, on turn 2, park it in a city.

Actually, that's true for fighters, but bombers get 4 turns.

Top Bottom