DU1 - "I didn't expect the Spanish inquisition!"

Shouldn't we also be at war with someone (any heathen)? Looks like Russia or America. . .

luker comment: How will you spread your religion without open borders?

PS Bad luck on having Toku as a "brother of the faith"
Should be a way to select which civs you DON'T get in a game

Yeah I'll cancel the open borders, but we are at war with the barbs so no need to declare on someone just yet. Hopefully Toku will open his borders to us soon, otherwise we'll declare him to be following the incorrect denomination or something ;-)

Got it. Play later

actually I seem to have wiped out the barbs, so I think that we need to declare on some other heathens. I was not ertain the barbs had no cities left till the endo of our turns however. Missionaries can ONLY be used if you have open borders though, so they are fairly useless unless we can have OB with the heathens we are not currently fighting. Otherwise, cancle OB with everyone but Mao (Chinese).

lurker comment: I've noticed an AI will switch to whatever religion they have most of, unless they founded the religion. Thus if an AI has one city of a religion they haven't founded, and you send two missionaries over to convert two cities, theres a good chance they'll convert to your religion..

friskymike said:
PS Bad luck on having Toku as a "brother of the faith"
Should be a way to select which civs you DON'T get in a game

I think he's starting to soften up. The fact he's willing to cancel trades with Peter so cheaply is a very good sign.

I agree with Ragnoff about the barbs, looking at our troop locations, we can see nearly every tile on our peninsula now, so they should cease to be a threat as long as we keep them there.

As for closing borders, I say we should close borders with any civ that is running a religion that it founded That would be Peter and Asoka right now. Keeping open borders with America and Rome gives us the option to convert them, either through OB or Christianity spreading through trade routes. It also gives us the opportunity to drave a wedge between Peter and Roosevelt, which is concerning because Roosevelt's lands are very close to where we would want to off-load an invasion force for Russia. Having America jump in against us could turn a probable victory into a certain defeat. :( If we want to go hard-line, that's fine, but we need to be prepared to fend off a dogpile if it comes down to that.

First Thoughts

- will cancel open borders with those who have not accepted god
- will declare war on someone
- will try and get Open borders with toku
- will fill out our lands (and use the missionaries to spread the faith (can probably fit another 4 cities in this land)
- build up the inquisition

Pre- turn

Builds look good, do a bit of MM
I cancel open borders, and declare on Asoka (it’s a phony war, but toku dislikes him)

1.- 125 ad

I gift toku some gold, (now sign Open borders you git)

2. 150 ad

Madrid builds missionary – now building settler

IBT – Peter demands theology, I tell him to get lost

3. 175 ad

Barcalona builds harbour, it can now build settler (pointless growing it as it has reached max health and happiness for now)

I move healed axeman

Bollocks,
I wanted that space for stone

4. 200 ad

we research calander, I set it to construction (catapaults!)
Seville builds temple, now barracks

And toku accepts open borders!!!!!!!!!!!!

I move the missionary to convert tokus remaining heathens

5. 225 ad

our great prophet is born, and creates church of the nativity
we can now raise science to 90%

6. 250 ad

Christianity spreads in tokyo

Also note:

We might want to consider settling here sometime, so we are less reliant on toku’s open borders

7. 275 ad

ibt

the word of god is reaching far and wide

8. 300 ad

9. 325 ad

Madrid builds settler, now building missionary
Baracalon builds settler, now building worker (need more workers)

10. 350 ad

Cordoba builds granary, set it to build barracks

11. 375 ad

we research construction, set it to research civil service
sevilla builds barracks, I set it to build war elephant. We must start the build up of the inquisition!

Peter converts to Taoism

Toledo founded.

12. 400 ad

Madrid builds Christian missionary, I set it to build war elephant
Barcalona builds worker, I set it to build library
Trade theology for currency with Peter. He teaches us the evils of money, we teach him the righteousness of theology.

Salamanca founded on the north coast (just for the cow, but should become a reasonable city later on). Only one more city needed now really, to the east by the gems. We might also consider settling the islands as well, they will allow an alternative front for the inquisition.

IBT –

Rome see’s the error of its ways.

13. 425 ad

use missionary to convert Toledo

14. 450 ad

IBT – Roosevelt demands calander, we tell him to get lost.
Asoka wants peace. We say no, but this is good news as we can get peace when we decide to war for real

15. 475 ad

Santiago builds work boat, building granary.

The save.

Roster:

1. Drugged_unholy - just played
2. Dimy - up
3. Thyrwyn - on deck
4. Grogs
5. Robo Mike
6. Ragnoff

Turn 0 475 AD:
Wow…our empire has certainly extended since my last turns… I trade Priesthood for 120 Gold to Caesar and to Mao for 90 Gold. Now we’ve got some Gold on the bank to fund our research for the years ahead.

Turn 1 500 AD:
Connecting the fishes outside Santiago, I send a Galley on exploration duty to the Islands south and start building a Courthouse in Santiago.

Turn 2 520 AD:
War Elephant finished in Madrid, starting Christian Missionary.

IBT:
Mao asks for Open Borders, but I decline. We will not Open our borders to those Confucianist Heathens.

Turn 3 540 AD:
War Elephant trained in Seville, starting Courthouse. As we don’t have Open Borders with anyone but Toku, we cannot explore further west.

Turn 4 560 AD:
Lighthouse finished in Barcelona, starting The Great Lighthouse, as we have many Coastal Cities the extra trade routes will boost our Economy. Barracks are finished in Cordoba, training a Catapult next.

IBT:
Roosevelt offers to trade Fur for Fish, seems to be a fair trade and profitable to both, I accept.

Turn 5 580 AD:
Missionary finished in Madrid, building another.

Turn 7 620 AD:
We discover Civil Service, going for Metal Casting so we can build Forges and boost production in our cities. We spread the faith to Salamanca with our Missionary.

IBT:
Asoka wants peace, it ain’t happening!

Turn 10 700 AD:
Granary finished in Toledo, starting Courthouse.

IBT:
Caesar wants to trade Incence for Horse… It ain’t happening! I’m not going to give him a strategic resource.

Turn 11 720 AD:
We discover Metal Casting, going for Literature and see if we can build the Great Library.
Catapult finished in Cordoba, starting Forge. Granary finished in Salamanca, starting Forge.

IBT:
Roosevelt is asking for Open Borders, we reject.

Turn 12 740 AD:
We spread the faith in Osaka, another Missionary is on it’s way to Edo.

Turn 13 760 AD:
Literature discovered, going for Music as we can get a Great Artist, the AI doesn’t have Music yet so we have a good chance getting it first. I trade Compass to Roosevelt for Horseback Riding and 180 Gold and Cow for Wine. I trade Rice to Incense with Caesar and Alphabet to Toku for 160 Gold. A Courthouse is finished in Seville and we start a Forge.

Turn 15 800 AD:
We spread the faith in Edo. There’s a Jap Galley outside Toledo with a Settler aboard…I hope Toku is not planning to build a city on our east shore near the Gems! I just completed a road to the Gems and think we should build a city there soon.

Well here's the savegame, please note that I have upgraded my Civ 4 with the latest patch so the save is likely not going to be compatible anymore with version 1.09.
Things are going alright, but once we got those Forges up and running we should really start working on our Military, especially our city defences could use an upgrade. We obviously need an attack force as well and once ready we can start a real war... I suggest Peter as he's just south of Osaka so easy accessable for our forces. He's also the 2nd strongest Civ so always a good idea to bring them down first :).

Here you can see Toku's Galley, there's a Settler aboard... I was prepping a city site where the Swordsmen is, already roading to the Gems so we can connect it quickly. I hope Toku is not being foolish and plant a city there.

We're doing pretty good in the stats... we're doing great in the tech lead, thus so far no problems. But as said, we need to build some military when those Forges are done.

Good luck to the next!

Well here's the savegame, please note that I have upgraded my Civ 4 with the latest patch so the save is likely not going to be compatible anymore with version 1.09.

Ok, everyone please patch.

I won't have access to a computer with a connection fast enough to download that huge patch until Tuesday morning and I won't be able to install the patch until Tuesday night (+800 GMT). So feel free to skip me until then if the game runs quickly.

Top Bottom