Dwarven Mines

deadliver

Loud Mouth Amateur
I think that Khazad and Luichurp mines should provide a defensive bonus. In past versions of FFH2 (FFH?) they apparently had Dwarven Mines which were unpillageable and grew much like villages. There were massive CTD issues if I remember correctly...

At the very least their mines should get defensive bonuses.

Not a bad idea, although the only way I know of to do it, without looking at the files, is to make it an upgrade of the mine, which means only one of the civs can use it.

Then that means each dwarven civ has their own fortified wine mine?

Is there no way to bring back the old mines?
They sound so perfect for the dwarves...

Like I said, it's actually pretty easy to do, but it's either a unique improvement(like the Bedouin Sit), which I don't like, or an improvement upgrade. I like the second option, but you can only specify one civ for a unique improvement, so it would probably be Khazad only.

Edit: <iDefenseModifier> is the tag you'd need.

Like I said, it's actually pretty easy to do, but it's either a unique improvement(like the Bedouin Sit), which I don't like, or an improvement upgrade. I like the second option, but you can only specify one civ for a unique improvement, so it would probably be Khazad only.

Edit: <iDefenseModifier> is the tag you'd need.

Obviously. But I think that Khazad mines should evolve like non stunty villages.

Hy Do ken!

I think that dwarven mines should represent communities, much as the cottage-town improvements do!

dwarven mines should grant +15% defense at the cost of two less hammers, after a number of turns they then upgrade into Mining Communities which negate the hammer penalty.

OR

Dwarven mines based on resources should undergo the above.

Every fantasy setting I have looked at has dwarven settlements based on mineable resources, the least of which at least feature a palisade around the mine (and the miners' houses)

Why not just make a completely unique improvement? I like that idea personally.

call it a "Dwarven Mine"

heh like the title minus S. Apparently there was a Dwarven Mine improvement in FFH2 way back when...before the dark times..you know the line..there were problems however

I think that the dwarves need to have a mine improvement that truly reflects their character (Khazad, not the wussy gnomes):

Needs a fortification bonus
Should provide extra yields when built on an actual resource

EDIT: not that I have a fetish for short, bearded, belligerent, expert miner axe wielders with cheesy Glaswegian accents but I think this could be another project of mine. (the fetish rumor, it is true.)

I sugjest that they start as they are now, and upgrade to a mine that adds a defensive bonus and prehaps some food to represent the comunity actualy living there. It would also help out a lot with the dwarven love for hill tiles that are not exacly fertile to begin with.

I sugjest that they start as they are now, and upgrade to a mine that adds a defensive bonus and prehaps some food to represent the comunity actualy living there. It would also help out a lot with the dwarven love for hill tiles that are not exacly fertile to begin with.

Dude, that is what I was thinking man!

Couldn't this be done by adding a unique worker with a unique build order instead of mine? If you want to use it for multiple civs, that is.

i.e a unique Khazad worker with build "Khazadim mining comunity" or w.e and let the Luichurp mud golems build "golem mine" or something.

This would eliminate the need for coding a civ-specific upgrade level only usable for one faction.

Of course it would require making 2 new improvements...

Couldn't this be done by adding a unique worker with a unique build order instead of mine? If you want to use it for multiple civs, that is.

i.e a unique Khazad worker with build "Khazadim mining comunity" or w.e and let the Luichurp mud golems build "golem mine" or something.

This would eliminate the need for coding a civ-specific upgrade level only usable for one faction.

Of course it would require making 2 new improvements...

Making new improvements is easy peezy (aside from finding art for it) oh and figuring out how improvements work (I am a xml newb). However, settling Dwarf slaves on a mine and converting it into a Khazadim mining community could be cool...after all Slavery isn't just wrong, its profitable! :drool:

You don't need a unique build order, just make normal mines capable of upgrading, then set the upgrade to be Khazad only (like how Kuriotate Enclaves work). Unfortunately not possible to cover both Civs this way, but Luchuirp could have unique Quarry upgrades instead.

Quarries are rare. Only a few resources use them while mines can go on any hill.
My sugjestion is to make the dvarves able to make dvarven mines (same as normal mine) and let it upgrade to great mines.
The Luchuirp should get normal mines and have them upgrade into Golem Mines.

Mine: -normal mine, play FfH-
UPGRADES TO: -This could posibly include setling a golem there to upgrade it.-
Golem Mine: -Luchuirp only, +2:hammers::, and all normal mine bonuses-

-The Luchuirp use golems as cheap labour in their mines so the mines provide extra hamers to represent this form of cheap and capable labour.-

Dwarven Mine: -Khazad only, +1:food:, and all normal mine bonuses-
UPGRADES TO:
Great Mine: -Khazad only, +15% defense, +2:food:, and all normal mine bonuses-

-The Khazad form their entire comunities around their mines. So, the mines provide food to represent the villagers around the mine that are capable of fending for them self.-

You could actually use the same code I used for upgrading Bannor Estates.

The way I made it work was with a worker UU...but that isn't the only way. Xienwolf mentioned one. You could also have a civ-specific spell create the unique improvement, with a several turn delay.

If you want the same sort of mines for both dwarf civs you'd just have to use two of the above methods.

The gnomes already have a worker UU, so it seems obvious to use that method with them.

The Khazad is trickier. You could give them a worker UU (pretty easy) that builds dwarven mines instead of mines. You could do the spell, but that would be a little wonky. The Kurio method would work, but you wouldn't get the defense bonus on a basic mine until it upgrades. Unless of course you wanted to add an auto-acquire promotion...

As far as the 2 civs not being able to share an improvement...copy+paste&rename. Description text doesn't have to be different, so it wouldn't even be noticeable in-game. IMPROVEMENT_DWARF_MINE(for Khazad) and IMPROVEMENT_DWARF_MINE2 (for gnomes) would work fine and could be functionally identical.

Interesting idea. Though the Khazad are already a decently balanced civ. I would think some sort of negative aspect to balance it out. Maybe you could make it so that the mines were their towns, and they can't build regular towns?

Interesting idea. Though the Khazad are already a decently balanced civ. I would think some sort of negative aspect to balance it out. Maybe you could make it so that the mines were their towns, and they can't build regular towns?

This is a good point, since Khazad are one of the stronger civs already. Dwarves are not really known for building settlements top-side, besides fortified cities, so it makes sense, lore-wise and balance-wise, to lose towns.

I also like the idea of the UU Workers with their special build orders, used in conjunction with slavery to take advantage of their unique skillz. Would make running slavery more useful being able to build other civs unique improvements.

The UU route with Khazad would kill both birds with one stone...just add the unique build order and delete build cottage.

If you do that you probably want to make the Dwarf Mine buildable on flat terrain...or give the Dwarves a spell that makes hills.

Top Bottom