Earth 1643 AD

Actually you could make an Amra or CIV Gold edition; that way you just make use of a mod. It increases realism as you get a wider choice of units, leaderheads and buildings. (You'd only have to do some editing and I'm sure Amra for instance would appreciate it.);)

But units, leaderheads and buildings slow down the game.. Especially when the AI plays its turn.

Very fun scenario - Dutch are great fun to play, as dikes really get all their colonies going (I have Ironworks on Mauritius - no land tiles! - thanks to Maoi Statues/dike), and Amsterdam started a culture cascade sweeping through Europe.

One thing - I wasn't aware that Pocahontas was Swedish. By 1643, the English Jamestown colony was reasonably well established. I remember reading somewhere that there were some Swedes around (New Jersey, maybe?), but certainly not as well established as Jamestown.

Lots of nice touches (East Indiaman with three Explorers for Australia, for instance).

It's the Swedish "New Sweden" colony in Delaware, Modern Wilmington is "Fort Kristina".

Most colonial settlements (towns) by 1643 were coastal. They only expanded very slowly; the 13 original states of 1776 really only covered a linked up coastal region of the present day US East (the teritory didn't even cover yet the present day federal states there).

Attachments

• 393px-Nieuw_Nederland_and_Nya_Sverige.png
    393px-Nieuw_Nederland_and_Nya_Sverige.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 233
Cool! Too bad they didn't stick around longer. Judging by our Dutch presidents, we might have benefited from a few Swedes as well.

That said, given its historical impact (i.e. the tobacco trade at minimum), I think you need to squeeze Jamestown in there. Part of the problem is that the Rhye's map sorta hoses North America. From a gameplay perspective as well, England needs a more substantial foothold in the colonies.

About them English: in the course of 4 Anglo-Dutch wars in the 17th century (called Dutch Wars by the English, English Wars by the Dutch) the Dutch traded New Amsterdam for Surinam, hence New York (as you can see on the map). So, the English may need more footholds, but they need to get them by force (and their UU should come in handy there).;)

I'm not aware of any Anglo-Swedish wars however. According to Churchill (Winston) his forebear the first Duke of Marlborough (John), in his famous meeting with Charles XII of Sweden, pointed Charles east instead of west (not that Charles wasn't already headed there). There is a fascinating account of this meeting in Winston's biography of John.

As I'm currently playing the Dutch, I'm very happy with New Amersterdam's placement (I've just flipped Montreal :)), both in gameplay terms and historical ones. Fort Swedish Bikini Team, not so much.

"the Dutch traded New Amsterdam for Surinam"

Doh!

Wonder which was the worse deal, this one or the one the Dutch struck with the previous occupants of Manhattan Island? If they had kept it, there would probably be five more boroughs dredged up from the Atlantic by now...

During the Napoleonic wars "perfidious Albion" also took over the Cape Colony (which much, much later resulted in the Boer War), Ceylon and Singapore (both of which the Dutch had wrested from the Portuguese). There was a brief period however, around 1700 (roughly during the reign of Louis XIV, le roi Soleil), when the Prince of Orange actually was king of England. After that Dutch power was in slow, but steady decline. (Might be interesting to have a 1700 AD scenario...) ;)

"There was a brief period however, around 1700 (roughly during the reign of Louis XIV, le roi Soleil), when the Prince of Orange actually was king of England."

A brief period! It was the Glorious Revolution!

= )

King William's reign: 1688-1702. England was not to enjoy his equal until Victoria.

It may have been around before that, but "Perfidious Albion", again according to the Churchill biography, arises from the English Tories (St. John and Harley) around 1710 betraying both Marlborough (who was quite popular on the continent) and their allies (the Dutch and HRE) to make a separate peace with the Sun King just when he was finally on the ropes, leaving the allies high and dry in the process. St. John especially did things like approving a campaigning plan, then sending secret orders for the British to withdraw during battle, and informing the French of the orders so they could slaughter the Dutch/Germans! The crafty Dutch, of course, sniffed out the plot, likely with aid from their brave British comrades.

Whatever - the pale perfidy surely had a stronger hold in the tidewater region of the New World in 1643 than did the lusty Swede. Heck, cram 'em both in there, its not like there's enough pop to work all the tiles.

Historical note: What the dutch took from the Portuguese in this date was Malaca. Singapore was both shunned by Portuguese and Dutch and it was not much more than a fishing village island when the British EIC established there seriously.

On game: I'm trying the Portuguese and it is hard enough ;)

Some more notes:

-Bombay did not existed as a English possesion in 1643. Neither did Colombo as a Dutch one.
-Malaca is in Singapore place
- Why there is no Goa in here? far more important that Bombay in those days , I can assure you....
-The Danish possessions are extremely boasted in India
-Explain exactly what are those things in the african western coast: polish, HRE and swedish cities and no Portuguese and Dutch ones ??????
- Portuguese never were completely expelled from Angola by the Dutch.

Some more notes:

-Bombay did not existed as a English possesion in 1643. Neither did Colombo as a Dutch one.
-Malaca is in Singapore place
- Why there is no Goa in here? far more important that Bombay in those days , I can assure you....
-The Danish possessions are extremely boasted in India
-Explain exactly what are those things in the african western coast: polish, HRE and swedish cities and no Portuguese and Dutch ones ??????
- Portuguese never were completely expelled from Angola by the Dutch.

-You are right about Bombay, but I needed a British-Indian colony. Colombo was not Dutch but Ceylon was divided between the Netherlands and Portugal.
-Singapore was not important back then and it was a British colony only from 1819.
-Can't have both Goa and Bombay, see two posts above.
-Yes, if they won't be boasted they would flip to the Mughals.
-the Polish are the Courland colonization of Gambia, a Polish vassal. the HRE Arguin should be Dutch but because it became a German colony 20 years later I prefered it would be German... the Swedish Gold Coast was estalabished 7 years later, but again for gameplay reasons I made it Swedish.
-I guess you know more about Portoguese History than me...

I let my self be a bit flexible with the dates, mostly on special cases.

"There was a brief period however, around 1700 (roughly during the reign of Louis XIV, le roi Soleil), when the Prince of Orange actually was king of England."

A brief period! It was the Glorious Revolution!

= )

King William's reign: 1688-1702. England was not to enjoy his equal until Victoria.

(Bezhukov)

Hm, glad you think so. Personally I never understood why it was so glorious to stage a dynastic coup - William III and Mary's wedlock was concluded when they were both children -, though the North Irish Protestants seem to remember it fondly. From a Dutch viewpoint it was just another expression of the dynastic desires of the Oranges, which in its course led to more than one execution. The Dutch republic was a tricky political balancing act in practice.

"The company, under such obvious patronage, soon managed to eclipse the Portuguese Estado da India, which had established bases in Goa, ChittagongBombay (which was later ceded to England as part of the dowry of Catherine de Braganza). It managed to create strongholds in Surat (where a factory was built in 1612), Madras (1639), Bombay (1668) and Calcuttafactor or master merchant and governor if so chosen, and 90 employees in India. The major factories became the walled forts of Fort William in Bengal, Fort St George in Madras and the Bombay Castle. and (1690)."

(Wikipedia History of India entry. Underlined names are links.)

As far as HRE/German colonies in W Africa: the HRE never founded any colonies (Germany didn't exist until 1871, after which Togo, Namibia and Tanzania became colonies) and any settlements there were to be overshadowed by French and English.

Strictly speaking I'd agree with r_rolo1's comment, but some flexibility by the author must be allowed for, IMO. ;)

Top Bottom