Earth 1643 AD

Just finished my first game with this scenario. I was playing the Dutch (It was obvious a Hollander designed it. Great fun flipping Europe - and even North America! - without a shot like so many dominoes) when I noticed time was ticking by awfully quickly. In fact, the game rudely ended with the Rocketing Dutchman three turns short of Alpha Centauri. What's up with the two-year turns all the way to 2100?

The Glorious Revolution was glorious in two senses:

(1) Like the recent Velvet Revolution of the Czechs, everyone was greatly relieved that it didn't involve all-out Civil War, but in fact, the opposite.

(2) The Catholic Church at this time was not exactly enthusiastic about either parliamentary government (about which the Liberals/Whigs cared deeply) or national sovereignty apart from Rome (the Tories). The nation wished to have a monarch like Good Queen Bess (who was firmly committed to the above), but her Stuart successors became increasingly sympathetic to Rome. Thus it was Glorious to find one who was not. His popularity did not last long, but history has been kind.

In other news, Rome got better...

It was obvious a Hollander designed it
I'm an Israeli, not a dutch...

Apologies - I was under the impression that Jeelen did. Regardless, it was clearly a joke - I'm looking forward to trying it again with another Civ, and anticipate enjoying it as much.

Strictly speaking I'd agree with r_rolo1's comment, but some flexibility by the author must be allowed for, IMO. ;)
It was a somewhat hotted reaction.... mainly because the scenario as it is shows a dead portuguese empire in Indian lands, a thing that it was not true in 1643. It was dieing fast, but not dead. I would had prefered , for a example, that the scenario had lots of Dutch troops stached bordering a portuguese Colombo than putting it as Dutch or that the troops that are in the angolan area to be in the ground in the interior of the country.

But on the issue of dates: well, +/- 200 turns is really a small ammount of time, especially in epic ( I discovered that easily when I adopted a portuguese strat of extensive colonizing of S. America and S. Africa ( after wiping the Dutch out of both) and then to comeback over europe ( BTW France seems too OP in the N.America , if you ask me..... ) and noticed that I would even would lack time to mature cottages....... Have you considered using the seasons calendar ( a WB option )?

"after wiping the Dutch out of both"

He, he. You filthy Portugee - my Dutch miraculously (friendly RNG, timely whip) retained Fort Schoonenbusch, then later flipped every Portuguese city back to their rightful (including some not Dutch in the first place) owners! I agree on the turns, especially Epic.

Also some starting the scenario with some workers would speed up progress considerably.

Why Bagdat under Persian empire? At that time, Bagdat was part of Ottoman Empire. Also Ottomans had stronger Navy. Also England, France, Russia, Ottomans had war for Sevastopol few times around that time. I believe adding that city would make it more fun.

well the way the scenario sets it up it has the Persians seemingly just entering baghdad, as evidenced by the lack of a cultural border around it. from about 1623 to 1640 the persians and ottomans fought over control of the city so its conceivable that they'd be fighting over it in the scenario based in 1643.

i do agree about sevestapol though, it would be a great addition.

As far as I know, Baghdad was controlled by Persians from 1623 to 1635. Ottoman Sultan Murat IV. conquered Baghdad and Erivan in 1635. On May 17, 1639 Kasr-i sirin tearty was signed between Ottomans and Persians. Since than, this treaty drawn the borders between Turks and Persians.

I understood Lokolus is done modding; you can easily add in extra Workers or additional cities via Worldbuilder.;)

Why is The Gold Coast Swedish? Denmark-Norway controlled this area from 1658 to 1850.

A late renaissance scenario, this is one of my favourite Eras. So far I like it. Could you rename the English Empire too Commonwealth of England since this is what is was called under Cromwell.

Top Bottom