Easter Island

Uh... Tomorrow, probably? I'm still unemployed at the moment, so I could do it whenever, but I honestly just don't feel like it right now. LOL.

Back in Civilization 1, there was a tutorial tip early in the game: defend your cities with "preferably two" good defensive units.

Spoiler :

If only Hotu Matu'a had followed that timeless advice...

No Barbarian incursions into Rapanui territory had occurred in centuries. I had attributed that to the thriving Inca Empire to the south, which had expanded into the Amazon Basin. (Remember, on this variant of the Earth 18 Civs map, there are two land routes out of the Andes, which I added to reflect the locations of IRL passes.) So it came as a great surprise to the citizens of Mataveri and their lone regiment of Archers when Barbarians showed up on horseback (where can you even get horses in South America?!) and slaughtered them. The Civilized Peoples were ultimately victorious, however, when the Barbarians marched on Hanga Piko and were mowed down by the Archers there, who were out for revenge.

Spoiler :

Oops.

Resources were still as scarce as ever for raising an army... But new land waited to be colonized without fear of Barbarian incursions. Scientists in Hanga Roa discovered how to make magnifying devices out of glass, and soon reported discovering new land to the west, near the new settlement of Vinapu, which was primarily a fishing village on one of the more easily-accessible Pacific islands. However, it was just out of their reach for the time being, across a stretch of open sea too dangerous for their simple Galleys to cross...

Spoiler :

Around the same time, first contact was made between the Hindu World and followers of other organized, widespread faiths. Though early diplomatic contact thankfully stopped short of hostilities, the foreigners were certainly not pleased to hear the other side call them heretics, and showed no interest in opening trade relations, no matter how politely and enthusiastically the adventures of Lord Krishna were related to them. Curiously, these two new peoples, who arrived in Rapanui lands together, were followers of different religions: the French were Christian, but the Germans were Buddhist. France arrogantly demanded tribute from the Rapanui, and the frightened rulers decided, after some deliberation, to pay, since they had no idea what kind of army the French might have, or how swiftly it might arrive. The foreigners were not to be trusted.

Spoiler :

(I'm not going to post any first contact pictures; it takes up too much space, and you know what the leaders look like. A few turns later, I met Asoka, Qin Shi Huang, and Tokugawa (all Buddhist) in rapid succession.)

The situation was complicated by the apparent existence of three more Buddhist kingdoms to the West of the Hindu Countries which held each other in a network of feudal obligation. To anger one was to anger them all. The Rapanui began to feel truly threatened for the first time. The solution, decided the nobles, was to take more land for Polynesia before the foreigners could get to it, to try to stop the spread of their influence and to seek out the resource-rich lands needed to create a strong army to resist them. (And, they said secretly amongst themselves, to secure somewhere to escape to, should their worst fears come to life and one of these far-off countries massacre their people like the Barbarians had at Mataveri.)

-----

Next episode: The RNG Gods Smile Upon Me and Westward Ho!

Ahh, the sadness of not choose religions (or is it the lack of a spiritual leader in Europe?)

Bad luck with the barbs, and how is the european tech?

well, good luck with that

I dont like it that on earth 18 you cant go through the andies mountains I live in Peru and I know that you can go through the Andies moutains (even though it is kind of hard)

:agree:

I dont like it that on earth 18 you cant go through the andies mountains I live in Peru and I know that you can go through the Andies moutains (even though it is kind of hard)

That's why they invented worldbuilder :p

True, true :yup:

AFAIK the reason is to stop Inca from covering South America and becoming an absolute monster (all that green!). I agree it's unrealistic, but it is necessary. :)

AFAIK the reason is to stop Inca from covering South America and becoming an absolute monster (all that green!). I agree it's unrealistic, but it is necessary. :)

By the time the Inca can start dealing with all the jungles down there, they will NEED all that green just to catch up...! :)

Next update will be sometime in the next week, I promise! Girlfriend and I are both sick...

The problem is not the green, but Brazil as a whole, while (unrealistically) not having so many production resources as the USA or other places in the continent, it is easily one of the best areas to create a economic power.

good luck with that...... you do know the last update was september 13, right?

good luck with that...... you do know the last update was september 13, right?

*New updates comes falling from the sky*

*New updates comes falling from the sky*

WHAM!

After another frustrating unintended hiatus, we're back!

I'm not going to make any more promises about updates, based on how well that worked out... Anyway...

Contact with powerful foreign nations spurred the Rapanui people to resume their expansion in an attempt to catch up to the foreigners' impressive technology. Though they may be heathens, decided the God-King, their advanced ships and weapons would be invaluable to the people of Greater Polynesia. It was with this mindset and the help of a luckily-timed infusion of cash from the gold mines of Hanga Piko that they resolved to expand into new lands in both the East and West in search of resources.

The first new settlement was New Mataveri, built on a stretch of coast more easily defended than the old city had been.

Spoiler :

Perhaps more important to their expansion, though, was the advancement of their metalworking technologies. Although the ability to work with copper had been around for ages, rich deposits were so scarce in the Empire that Rapanui craftsmen refused to make weapons from it. Thanks to another lucky find by the miners of Hanga Piko, they could now arm themselves for the first time with metal weapons...

Spoiler :

...which, combined with the insights of a theoretical text on Engineering recovered from the ruins of Old Mataveri, would give them a better chance of holding their own against much-feared attacks by the Barbarians and the heathen Pale People.

Spoiler :

First contact between Rapanui explorers and inhabitants of the Southwestern Lands in the 1370s was violent: a battle at sea against a Barbarian galley defending the coast of its homeland. However, the explorers were able to land at an Indian colony for repairs. It was not previously known that other countries were expanding overseas, and this revelation only strengthened the determination of the Rapanui to obtain a colonial empire of their own... And these sparsely-inhabited, fertile lands seemed to the be perfect place to do it.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I finally have a goal, I think: I'm going to claim I'm victorious if I control all of Australia and New Zealand and the north coast of South America and am in the top half of scores. I think I'll also take Momo1000's suggestion and go for Hawaii. Because the Empire of Greater Polynesia would just not be complete without it. :)

IT'S ALIVE!!!

good to have you back ;)

Great update!!!

Top Bottom