Eastern Europe is NOT under-represented

Status
Not open for further replies.
^he probably would agree with you that HRE and Celts for example shouldn't be in, but he's saying that Europe already has too many civs, even if one part is underrepresented, whole regions of the world are still underrepresented, some not even represented at all.

Go for Chimù, Chibcha, Native American Empire split, Vietnam, Aborigines or Polynesians, or maybe Tibet, but I still think Poland would be nice to have, as the FINAL European civ, that is. I'd like Austria too, but it kinda overlaps with HRE, so..

...I still think Poland would be nice to have, as the FINAL European civ, that is.

agreed... well, im thinking perhaps Hungary or even Bulgaria wouldn't be that bad a choice.

im thinking perhaps Hungary or even Bulgaria wouldn't be that bad a choice.

indeed. they would do fine, particularly the latter.

So let me get this straight!

If poland was in Asia, then everyone would want it in? and if it's in europe nobody wants it in?

If that is true you want the continent not the civ.

if that's what everyone thinks then heck with these civs, just put in a Europe civ, a Asia civ, a Australia civ, a North America civ etc.

i'd like to play the mongols not because there in asia, but because they went conquering around there continent! I want to play as portugal to actually play and colonize the world myself! I don't want to play portugal because it's in europe.

if that's what everyone thinks then heck with these civs, just put in a Europe civ, a Asia civ, a Australia civ, a North America civ etc.

i'd like to play the mongols not because there in asia, but because they went conquering around there continent! I want to play as portugal to actually play and colonize the world myself! I don't want to play portugal because it's in europe.

Of course the civs should be numerous inside each continent, but many players would like to see something exotic, as cybrxkhan's Vietnamese (Pho) Empire.

Of course importance and interest over glorious civs as Portugal, Mongolia and also Poland makes sure that those should be included, but many doesn't think Switzerland, fx, should be included before the Iroquis, fx. Switzerland is just another European nation, and they does somehow not have the regional significance that the Iroquis had.

Also, the Swiss culture reminds many people of the culture of Southern Germany, which is somehow also related to German, then lines could be drawn to the rest of the European civs, and the civilization would not really be 'new'.

Compared to that, the Iroquis, although having lesser imprtance to the modern world in some people's opinions, being non-European, have a very different culture and are very interesting.

Regional representation is also the best on Earth maps.

Also, the Swiss culture reminds many people of the culture of Southern Germany, which is somehow also related to German, then lines could be drawn to the rest of the European civs, and the civilization would not really be 'new'.

well maybe because Swiss Culture, people and language is a mixture of italian, german, french and those mountain people of switzerland?

well maybe because Swiss Culture, people and language is a mixture of italian, german, french and those mountain people of switzerland?

Exactly my point. Many players want something new, and Switzerland isn't (And if mixed ethnicity is a boost, we must and shall remember the States).

Never said that you did ;)
But Poland, as a civ, would be an interesting choice, and mostly because of a cool winged UU, we all know about. I'd like to see that Hussar in-game.

Where did all the other debaters go?

Heh, there's another Poland thread still running, almost hitting the 2000 scale ;)

@Lord joakim and frob2900

And i'm the reason there getting so far! :) :lol:

click that number of posts on the forum topic display, and you'll see that i have over 200 posts in here now. (i think)

Hey, LastOne- you just got the 777th post. Lucky sevens, right? Maybe Poland will be in the next game after all! ;)

Compared to that, the Iroquis, although having lesser imprtance to the modern world in some people's opinions, being non-European, have a very different culture and are very interesting.

Regional representation is also the best on Earth maps.

I never understood the "regional representation is good for Earth maps" argument, probably because I know of nobody that plays Earth maps in the Epic game. If I'm going to play an Earth map, I'll play RFC.

I'm in favor of the Iroquois over the "Native American" Empire because it's more specific, not confusing with other native Americans, and the Iroquois are better represented by civ mechanics. The "Native Americans" seem to represent only the Plains Indians in the game, and many of those tribes were nomadic, which isn't represented at all in Civ game mechanics. It's just not a good fit.

Why is my first post on these forums a reply to a nonsense topic? I don't know really but here goes.

1. CIV1 is a game that favors: Western culture and Christianity. It featured only the most known countries (i.e. they heard of them) to the USA population, which were - fact - the target market for the game. I'm pretty sure that 80% of CIV1 selling was in USA. Remember Hoover Dam and Cathedral?

2. As time goes by, the reincarnations of Civ moved more and more to the global view of things. Cathedrals were politely renamed so that the actual name of buildings fit the religion in question, while Hoover Dam got renamed into "Three Gorges Dam".

3. No matter how hard Sid (or whoever is making the stuff up) tries, making a game based on history will always be based on lies that everyone agreed upon. Since history and archeology are romantic sciences (yeah, lets face it, we have no bloody clue how Rome in the time of Julius Caesar really looked like, no matter how hard we try), CIV will always be a game that reflects the knowledge (and interest and preference) of a small group of developers. After all, it's their game.

4. Even if the CIV historical background is somewhat biased and inaccurate, I give some credit to the dev team - these guys do have a system by which they implement stuff (or decide not to). In this particular case - "Which culture will be implemented in the next expansion?"

5. I might be wrong, but I think the way to determine if a culture is "big" enough to be implemented into the game has to answer to several tough questions:
1. For how long was the culture on the historical stage?
2. How widespread was it's cultural/political/religious/military influence?
3. How independent was the culture in question from other (cultural, political, religious, military) influences?

I'm a Hungarian living in Croatia. That means I'm pretty much Eastern European. If the above post didn't answer your question about EE yet, I'll put it down black on white:

There was no political, religious, cultural or military force "made in EE" through the course of history. You disagree?

Here's a brief timeline:
- barbarian era
- greek colonies
- roman colonies
- roman annexation (Christianity from Rome or Greece again)
- barbarians again
- complete political and cultural turmoil Austrian, German, Frank influence
- Habsburgs
- Ottoman Empire
- WWI
- complete political and cultural turmoil
- WWII
- SSSR sattelites (except Yugoslavia)

As you can see the only "Empire" that's worth mentioning is the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Considering the Habsburgs ruled over Spain and Mexico, it should be in the game. And that's the ONLY Empire worth putting into the game. If you are pulling my tongue, yeah, favoring the Holy Roman Empire to Austro-Hungary was pure bullcrap.

Sure, Polish, Hungarian, Bulgarian and many other EE cultures were influential, lasting... blah blah. Blah. Lets face it. What country did (insert EE country name here) invade? What religion was born in it? What cultural or scientifical or architectural breakthrough/monument did it create to be the envy of the rest of the world? And most importantly - how good is it's propaganda, really? :)

I say, be glad our countries are not on the CIV list. That means we don't have a history of slaughter, theft, rape, slavery and all checkmarks on the Seven Deadly Sins list. Or to quote my friend: "When I was in London, I went to the Royal Jewels. You know what was the first notion i felt? Damn, i wonder if the this room where the jewels are displayed would be enough to hold all the blood spilled to get them."

Evelon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom