Elite Infantry

asioasioasio

Fallout Scrubber
Please give propositions for Elite Infantry - just one per country.

Germany - Waffen SS
USA - Rangers
Poland - Carpatian Rifles
Italy - Bersaglieri
Great Britain - British Commandos
Soviet Union - Soviet Snipers
Australia - Desert Rats
France - French Foreign Legion
Spain - Spanish Legion
Finland - Jaegers

Probably some countries shouldn't have any.

The Rangers only comprised 3000 men at any given time, out of millions of soldiers thats negligible. Maybe the Airborne units could be considered elite compared to german paratroops?

The SAS was formed in 1941 and had similarly small numbers. The British Elite infantry would probably be Commandos instead.

Ski Infantry for the Finns for sure.

Soviet Union would be the NKVD units.

The Black Shirts were a pre war paramilitary group and not an organized army unit.

I updated the list

I agree with that not all country should have elite infantry.
They would be limited in game (so no more than 10 Waffen SS units or SAS) but as in real life they'll be best of the best. So they don't need to be numerous - they need to be best of the best (elite, special forces, with great fame in battles, and/or unique for this country) - more stronger than standard infantry + some othe abilities (depends of types of elite infantry it might be paradrop abilities, bonuses vs some other types of units, extra bonuses).

About Airborne - yes i was considering this, but they already appear in the game as paratroopers (the same goes for Fallschirmjaeger).
The Rangers and SAS could also make paradrop missions, but they would be stronger and mixed with other abilities

Blackshirts were used in combat, but you're right, maybe we can find something better for italy. Any propozitions? Bersaglieri?

I think something like "winter warfare infantry" would be better for finland.
I would'nt like to see an infantryman with skis on desert or plains. :D (without snow of course)

Canada, doesn't seem to have anything elite.

Spain would be the Spanish Legion (similar to FFL)

Bersaglieri for sure is the Italian elite unit.

And if you are limiting the # of units then the Rangers would be the American elite unit.

While I agree that units on skis in the plains and desert would be weird, I doubt that Finnish troops would be in the desert. It is historically accurate to use ski troops. They would have a movement advantage and defend well, especially in tundra and snow.

Ok. I agree that. Place much snow and tundra to Finland! The Ski infantry would well get some advantage against armored units. (They invented and used the molotov coctail.)

I would like to ask if there is an Winter War scenario in the mod? That would be cool!

They used the Molotov cocktail, but it was invented in Spain during the Spanish Civil War.

Well, anyways some advantage against armored units.

Yeah bonus against armored units and infantry - they had great numbers of snipers + of course bonus to movement in tundra and snow. So how they should be called? "winter warfare infantry"? or they have specific name?

Ok i remove canada from list. I also don't heared about elite units with great fame that participated during ww2

And what about soviet union? (i would like to use nkvd as replacement for military police for soviet union like it was in warlords version). I was thinking about snipers - soviet union had a lot of them, paralizing german soldiers for hours. Besides the famous sniper was from Soviet Union - Vasiliev .... (i forgot surname) who killed more than 400 germans :) Did they had specific formations or were just part of regular army?

Finnish soldiers during the WW2 (Winter and Continuation Wars) was called to jaegers (jääkäri in finnish) so actually the finnish army didn't have any "special troops". Only a small (about 50.000 men) but well equipped and well trained army.
About the weaponry: they used the "Suomi-konepistooli" ("Finland-submachinegun") that was the best submachinegun during the WW2. Not snipers. And of course they used white snow costumes making them hard to see in snow. Russians used same costumes in the Continuation War against Finland. (In the Winter War Russian troops were very vulnerable in snow because they had dark costums.)

NKVD troops saw battle on a regular basis, but I agree they should have "police" abilities as well. You could also give combat bonuses for units in their square or adjacent to represent commissars.

Best scene in I think it was Medal of Honor where the commisars keep sending troops up a slope in Leningard with no weapons and telling them to pick up the weapons of the fallen.

According to Wikipedia, Salis is right about "snipers" for the Finns, they apparently used anti-tank weapons to kill Russian snipers but don't seem to have their own.

Great Britain should have commandos rather than the SAS, because they accounted for more raids (certainly the more famous ones) than the SAS. Just a personally prefence. And they if you are giving them promotions then give them amphipous (spelt badly!) and possibly be able to paradrop.

Finland had some great snipers, Finland should have ski infantry, and sniper unit too. We had the best sniper ever Simo häyhä(=white dead) 542 confirmed kills. + Sulo Kolkka (400+ kills)

Finland had some great snipers, Finland should have ski infantry, and sniper unit too. We had the best sniper ever Simo häyhä(=white dead) 542 confirmed kills. + Sulo Kolkka (400+ kills)

I think only problem with snipers is that they were not "unique" to Finland.
Other countries usedd snipers too.

Yeah the snipers were popular unit in WW2 and they didn't make groups. The soviet made squads, from what i red Finland din't made squads.

BTW What do you think about Rota Osobogo Naznacheniya for Soviet Union? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_commando_frogmen
Looking on the amount of data they weren't popular :(

I'm for 'Soviet Snipers' for Soviet Union
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_sniper
eventually more specified Kremlyovskiy polk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kremlin_Regiment
and 'Finnish Ski Infantry' for Finland (I must admit that this will be the only one country with ski infantry in mod).
And 'British Commandos' For Great Britain

I think finnish soldiers would be rather called to "jaegers" than "ski infantry".

Sweden's are probably the paratroopers, "fallskärmsjägare".

Germany had these "fallskärmsjägare" too. They just called them to "fallschirmsjägers".

Waffen SS troops are not the conterparts to the UK's SAS. The Waffen SS were elite field troops and not commandos. The closest thing the Germans had to commandos (such as the SAS and the OSS) were the Brandenburgers and Skorzeny's commandos.

The former were an elite commando regiment, set up by the Abwehr (German intelligence service) under the guidance of Admiral Canaris. These commandos spoke a variety of languages and were experts in unconventional warfare tactics such as demolitions and infiltration. They were deployed in almost every theatre including North Africa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandenburgers

Skorzeny's commandos, were an elite commando formation set up by the SS (Himmler was obsessed to rival Canaris and his Brandenburgers) and were involved in numerous operations including the rescue of Mussolini, Operation Knight's Leap in the Balkans and Operation Greif in the Ardennes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Skorzeny

Since the UK will be getting the SAS, it is only fitting that the Germans get their own commandos imho. I'm also in favour that only the major powers get these special units.

Finnish soldiers during the WW2 (Winter and Continuation Wars) was called to jaegers (jääkäri in finnish) so actually the finnish army didn't have any "special troops". Only a small (about 50.000 men) but well equipped and well trained army.
About the weaponry: they used the "Suomi-konepistooli" ("Finland-submachinegun") that was the best submachinegun during the WW2. Not snipers. And of course they used white snow costumes making them hard to see in snow. Russians used same costumes in the Continuation War against Finland. (In the Winter War Russian troops were very vulnerable in snow because they had dark costums.)

I vote for jääkäri (is elite force) the are the best trained and best equipped, and the will most likely know how to ski :lol: How would we only have 50 000 men in the whole army at wartime? It has to be more maybe close to 200 000

Top Bottom