Embarked Units Can't Stack with Naval Units

KCMcG

Chieftain
Embarked units, especially Settlers, should be considered non-combat units, since they can't attack naval units. Embarked units will not stack with Naval units. I was playing as Russia and tried to move a frigate to the same tile as an embarked settler. It wouldn't allow me to do this.

I've attached a save.

Thats not a bug. That's just how the designed the game.

No, they said embarked units are civilian units and as such can stack, so thus its a bug.

From the civilization digital manual:

"Unit Movement
Generally, units move from hex to hex, paying the
“Movement Cost” required to enter that new hex.
Units are subject to “Stacking” limitations – two military
units may not end their turn in the same hex, nor
can two non-military units, but one military and one
non-military unit may end their turn stacked in the
same hex. Most units are limited in where they can
move – land units cannot enter mountain hexes and
naval units cannot enter land hexes (except for port cities). Improvements like roads and
railroads speed a unit’s movement through land hexes."

Also from the manual:

"Like land units, there are military and non-military naval units. Work
Boats and any “Embarked” Land Units are non-military units, and
they are automatically captured and held for ransom when attacked
by barbarians and destroyed when attacked by other
civs or city-states."

So it says a military and non-military unit can stack in the same hex and it also says that embarked units and work boats are non-military units.

I'm pretty sure barbarians don't capture embarked land units, either, but destroy them. Long live the memory of worker Joe, drowned by an unforgiving barbarian foe...

The attached save file, Test Embarked Unit.civ5Save, shows a Chinese embarked Scout next to a Chinese Frigate. The Scout has remaining MPs, but can't move onto the Frigate's tile. Test Embarked Unit 2.civ5.sav shows a similar situation, this time with an embarked Chinese Worker. Again, the embarked worker can't move onto the Frigate. I thought that perhaps the embarked worker might be treated as non-military, but that wasn't the case.

I'll call this a bug (or at least an error in the manual) and move this thread to the Confirmed Bugs forum.

Moderator Action: Moved to Confirmed Bugs forum

Attachments

• Test Embarked Unit.Civ5Save
    1 MB · Views: 367
  • Test Embarked Unit 2.Civ5Save
    1 MB · Views: 389
I have also experience this problem, and thought I read many articles that suggested that embarked units should be able to share a tile with military vessels.

I believe it would be better if Embarked land units could stack with Naval units. Still limit it to one each per hex, but treat all embarked units the way settlers and workers are on land. Then you could protect them.

Moderator Action: Threads merged. The_J

I believe it not to be a bug mostly because it'd make the Songhai benefit less useful and more of just an convenience. That being said, I absolutely think that embarked units should stack with navel units. I do think that it should be like the land rules, only one war ship can stack with one non combat "ship"(work boat or embarked unit). I am a big fan of the 1 upt but in this case I think it should be consistent with the ground unit idea.

Moderator Action: Doing a little house cleaning, moved this out of 'Confirmed Bugs', because it isn't one.

Top Bottom