End of Empires - N3S III

Gallatene troops were in Astria to ensure that no Imperial forces or Aitahist conspiracies interfered with the establishment of a right and proper Astrian state in accordance with the Treaty of Reppaba; to ENSURE that it should be a free and peaceful state with no residual Savirai influences. As it has since transpired, it was entirely necessary for us to do so, for the Farubaidans abrogated their responsibility to ensure that the Treaty was followed. It is only natural that you should resent our presence, since you are an Imperial loyalist attempting to interfere with the establishment of that state, but that crime does not excuse your later crimes of attacking my men. You have killed my soldiers, you have disregarded my Treaty, you have killed Astrians fighting alongside my soldiers to prevent your little tyranny from spreading, and through your arrogance and stupidity and unwillingness to abandon ill-gotten privileges you have caused incalculable damage to your country. Those are your crimes, Lord Tyrant.

I have laid no claim to the rule of Astria, unlike you, Lord Tyrant, and it is my duty to uphold the Treaty of Reppaba. THAT is my legitimacy, and I seek not to impose my will but to impose the will of the lawful Lord of the North of the World whose leal servant I am. Do not embarrass yourself any further.

To: Javan

My friend, enough. No amount of logic or redress will convince Aitahists otherwise when they see fit to be obstinate. I played this game myself when we were both young men, trying to make these supposedly merciful Kargani see the folly of invading the north. They brought slaughter to my homeland, without provocation. They are infinitely duplicitous, and will cry for mercy only when it suits them. That is why they negotiate now, and attacked when Redeemer Taexi was old and far from home. They fear honest strength, and crave blood when their enemy is weak.

This is why the Aitah is often shown in the vedas as a female jackal with many heads.

The way of an Aitahist, you see, is to defend a treaty when it is to his benefit and then disregard it when it no longer suits him. It was so with the Peace of Avetas that ended the War of the Three Gods. The treaty, itself, is worthless to the Aitahists, except as a chain with which to confine men of honor. But they are not so confined.

I am convinced myself that the nobility of the Moti, perhaps noble enough to one day see the truth of the world, has long been corrupted by these Aitahist whispers from within. By many accounts, Lerai was a noble man and a friend to Satar. Why he would do such a foolish thing as to end the long peace almost defies logic, until one considers the role of the Aitahists. It seems obvious that this corruption runs deep, and now we live with the consequences, in cutting it out of that noble and great Empire in the south of the world. Indeed, I see the same corruption now happening to my Kothari brothers.

But this is the way of the Aitahist and of the Faronai. They speak the words of peace and justice, so seductive and comforting, but use them as tendrils to gain ever-stronger footholds where they do not belong. Like a creeping vine, each time they are cut back, they seek to grow again.

I have made my offer to them, to withdraw from these small princedoms to which they have little lasting attachment. If they see fit to reject it, you have my permission to eject them from the eastern continent. I see no need to replicate the Feast, as there are still good men among that fractious alliance who wish to see order restored in the South. I have fought alongside many of them. However, their puppeteers certainly need to be taught a harsh lesson if they continue to use this treaty as their armor.

The irony of protesting a treaty, to me! They could write a lay about it.

To: the Faruveda ea Caroha, the Halarai Empire, the City of Caon
From: the Exarch Eres, in the name of the Red Chamber and the People of the Republic

The Emperor Qasaarai lies dead, the Savirai depart, and the legacy of their rule has been cast down. Yet why then does the specter of violence still trouble the people of Astria? Why has the writ of their Lord come unto the Red Chamber, begging that the course of war be averted?

The Daharai have heard of the treaty that was made between the Faruveda and the Halarai, and we have heard that therein did these powers declare to one another an allowance to the people of Astria, that they should be a free country, and that they should determine their own rule. The Daharai do not care what faith these people should hold within their hearts, so long as they are Righteous, and so long as their troubles do not become the troubles of their neighbours.

If there is doubt that this Lord, Melera, should bear the authority of Astriens Exarchai, and if this doubt should threaten war between the Halarai and the Faruveda, then in the name of peace some among the Daharai shall come to the City of Caon. They would hear Melera's acclamation by the people, and they would hear his confirmation by the Chamber. If this should be satisfied, and if the Astrians would style themselves Republic, then a compact must be made between their cities. Summon representatives from the cities of Nali and Tadon, and have them willfully affix seal to compact, and so bind Astria together.

The Red Chamber desires not that the wars of foreign places visit themselves upon Astria. We would prevail upon the Faruveda and the Halarai to absent their quarrel from this land, and to afford unto it deserved peace.

Metexares the Redeemer is surprised that endorsing fantastical and insidious notions such as "Aitahist corruption" is considered to be in keeping with the honour of Prince Talephas. Are we now to suppose that every time anyone does anything that Prince Talephas does not like, in collaboration with any Aitahist party, the Aitahists gets the blame? The Ayasi was responsible for his expedition, and I am fully responsible for anything I choose to do, brother.

And in actual case of point, the single thing that I am trying to do is exactly the same as what you are trying to do: restore the Moti Empire to order, and eject Sianai and the Vithanama - you, I expect, the former, and I, I expect, the latter. Indeed, we would hope that there might be cooperation between us in this endeavour, and that we may sometime take counsel with you, that this may happen rightly.

TO: Astria, Kargan, etc.

It is the considered opinion of the Halyrate that, even if we are to lay aside for a moment the manifest unfitness of this Melera for any position of command, imposing a wholly alien system of rule upon Astria is a recipe for disaster, and particularly so when that system of rule developed and flourished in an Indagahori context while Astrians are well known as the most devoted of Maninists - even the early Savirai had the wisdom to know that. Moreover, the Halyrate has never desired conquest or revolution, only the restoration of the proper order of the world as it was before it was overthrown by Khatai and Qasaarai. The Halyrate therefore believes that the only reasonable course of action is to install the present heir of the line of Astrian kings on the throne of that country: as Astria was before the advent of Qasaarai, so should it be after his demise.

To: Caroha, the Daharai, the northerners

Forgive the history lesson, but Astria has always been a state uniquely well suited for just such a model of government, as our strong tradition of independent cities and citizen soldiers has proven. We are a people who were republican before there were republics, and for whom the style of Republic bound in sealed compacts would be no foreign imposition, but a natural affirmation of our most ancient value systems.

We have no doubt that the free rulers of Nali will agree to just such a compact -- assuming they are allowed to pass through the siege lines unmolested -- and that a freely acclaimed representative from the enchained city of Tadon would do the same.

OOC: It seems that Personalities are intrinsically important in this series of negotiations. Please tell us if that is Lord-Exarch Melera or, presumably, a mere representative of the City/Chamber of Caon. I'm very interested and it seems very relevant. Thanks.

Also, I'm all for destroying NK's plan for an ET with another Armageddon. Fight! FIGHT! Burn everything! EVERYTHING! :mwaha:

OOC: You can assume anything that comes from Caon has passed over Melera's proverbial desk. ;)

The Farubaida o Caroha wishes to make it known that both the Sarafaio and the Red Chamber intend to guarantee the independence of the Aortai Republic. Long may peace reign in Upper Hulinui.

The Exarch Eres affirms this position in the name of the Red Chamber and the People of Spitos.

The Aortai Republic of the Free Cities of Yu and Xorob confirms this arrangement. Long live the Peace of the Nakalani!

OOC: it seems foreign spies intercepted the letter at some point in its journey.

OOC: I have always been of the habit of taking correspondence posted publically as public correspondence. If Talephas's aim was merely to give advice to Javan, rather than to make a mildly intimidating proclamation for all to see, then he should have sent a private message rather than, well, making an intimidating proclamation in public.

I would be inclined to assume that Talephas or his agents made this proclamation openly, either at his court or at the Halyr's court, to the agents of the Halyr or to the Halyr himself. Seeing as Metexares undoubtedly has a friendly courtier or two at each court, and legitimately came by the news that the Talephas had said what he had said, he thought it eminently reasonable to comment on Talephas's public, or semi-public, declaration to Javan.

OOC: On one hand, I agree with spry that a public message is, well, public. On the other hand, I really enjoy public role playing like that, even if it is meant to be somewhat private. Same goes with stories. I suggest that publically posted private messages posted for sake of role playing value should be marked specifically.

OOC: On one hand, I agree with spry that a public message is, well, public. On the other hand, I really enjoy public role playing like that, even if it is meant to be somewhat private. Same goes with stories. I suggest that publically posted private messages posted for sake of role playing value should be marked specifically.

OOC: Ah, the good old days, when people posted secret diplomacy in thread and counted on people respecting *secret* tags.

not reallyIC:

TO: Parthe

Spoiler secret; do not read unless you are Terrance :
So are we still go on the plan to conquer Atracta and Kargan with Ertanis?

A Conspiracy Ends

It's the middle of the night, a moonless night, and I am tired. I feel it deep in my bones. I've been tired for a very long time. I wanted only to save Gallat and the Light from savages who sought to overthrow both, and somehow that led me here, to this strange city on the edge of the World, to reign over teeming alien multitudes and argue with men in many tongues about the welfare of people who I scarcely dreamt existed when I was young, and then to be cursed by those same people in their ingratitude. If I had known the road led here, would I have embarked upon it, all those years ago? I suppose I had no choice, but I still wish the burden might have fallen on someone else. If only there had been anyone else.

I stare for a moment at the letter, sitting on my desk, the letter that will change everything. I've wanted an end for decades now, it seems, but now that it's here I can't shake the second thoughts. Have I done enough? Will those who come after maintain my legacy? Perhaps I should keep going, just a little while longer after all, to be sure that the World is truly set to rights...

But no. I have done all that any could have asked of me and more. I am not so exalted that the World cannot manage without me, and I am not so worthless that the World can reasonably demand any more from me. I read the letter one last time, smile now at the words I've agonized over for so long, the signatures and seals procured in secret, and then I sign it, close it, and seal it myself. I leave it on my desk – it will be found soon enough, but I do need a little time - and walk quickly to the fireplace. They love intrigue, these southerners; the passage I now open was on no maps, and I discovered it only by accident. The guards outside my door do not know it, and no doubt they will long puzzle over my disappearance. I feel a faint pang of guilt then – I hope those poor men won't be blamed. I wish I had thought of that sooner, but it's too late now.

I take the torch burning inside the passage, then quickly step inside, and close the hidden door. It doesn't open from this side; no more time for last minute regrets or changes of heart. I heave a sigh, and then set off quickly down the passage. I mustn't miss my appointment. It is the last appointment, after all.

I walk for what seems like hours. The passage emerges in a copse outside the city walls – I understand that it was once the private park of the Nahari Emperor, but it has long since gone back to the wild. The Savirai no more maintained the order of the World here than anywhere else. But at least it serves my purposes tonight. Figures loom out of the dark, and for a moment I feel a jolt of fear – have I been discovered or betrayed? But then they raise their torches and I see their familiar faces and fear subsides into relief. They're all here: Araldi and Risadri and Yarin and even Gabas. That had been a shock: of all the people who might puzzle it out, I never would have thought Gabas to be among them. Still less would I have expected him to go along – but then he's always had a weakness for the mythic element. Araldi's cousin is here too, Caron Nuvor, the only one of us not coming along, the only one who will later know the truth. Araldi swears we can trust him, and I trust Araldi. They're in the south on various excuses: Araldi to discuss the Astrian imbroglio, Risadri to consult with Indagahori prelates, Gabas ostensibly to be rebuked for his conduct in the west. And they've all left letters of their own, where they won't be found until it's too late. Araldi calls out laughingly “Well met, in the cold and dark, traveler. Here, clothe yourself against the night,” and he tosses me a pack of clothes, dull and brown and worn – a soldier's clothing, that was once a second skin to me. I quickly change and hand the discarded finery to Caron – he'll burn it, make sure no one ever finds it. It feels good, familiar, far more so than the costumes I've had to wear. I greet each of them in turn, my oldest friends, the men who've been beside me every step of the way. Yarin's jittery, Gabas practically vibrating with impatience, Araldi hiding nerves behind his usual bonhomie, and Risadri as scarily composed as ever, just like on that long ago night when we first met, the night that made everything else possible.

We chat for a moment, unconsciously postponing our departure, but then Gabas loses his patience, departs for a moment and comes back leading five horses. The others begin to mount. I turn to Caron “You know what you must do?” He nods, and I see in the flickering torchlight that his eyes are brimming with tears. “Do not be sad, Caron. All things have their time, and now is yours, not ours.” He does his best to compose himself and replies “I do not know that I can handle it. It's too much.” I try to comfort him “I was the same. The Light demands nothing more of us than we can give. You will be fine. No doubt one day we'll meet you again, when your time is over.” From behind me I hear Yarin call: it's time at last. I shake Caron's hand and then mount my own horse. Without a look back, we set off into the blackness. Gabas is stonefaced and silent as always, Araldi and Yarin strangely somber, but Risadri – the High Ward is suddenly in finer spirits than I have ever seen. “Don't fret, Nuvor,” he says jovially. “The boy is capable. He will see to everything.” He laughs then. “'Boy', heh. I suppose he's older than we all were when this began. They all seem like boys to us old men.”

“Once you told me,” I say to Araldi, “not to be gloomy, for I was riding into immortality. Well, we are all now about to enter legend. It's not the time for sadness.” He perks up a bit at that. “I suppose so. And at least I get to come along this time. So, my lord Halyr-” he stops himself and chuckles. “Or not, I guess. I don't know that I'll ever adjust. So, Captain Javan, where shall we go.”

And with that for the first time it really hits me what we're doing. I straighten in the saddle, as an unbearably heavy weight lifts from my shoulders, that had been carrying it so long I had forgotten it was even there. The tiredness ebbs and the aches and pains of a hundred campaigns, a dozen wounds dissipate like mist before the morning sun. I feel thirty years younger, and though it's the dead of night, the World seems bright and open and full of possibilities. “Where shall we go, Araldi?” I laugh. “Why, wherever we want.”

*****​

Theories would abound in later years about the fate of the Halyr and the Vanished – some said they had been murdered by Aitahists, some by Nahari, some said they crossed over the Nakhalani to find new worlds to bring under the Light. The most popular, and the one the Halyr himself obliquely suggested in his Testament, was that, his task complete, the Halyr had departed the mortal world in some fashion or another, and would return when Maninism and Gallat were again threatened. I do not believe the truth will ever be known. And perhaps that is for the best. It seems fitting that the end of Altaro Javan should be as obscure as his origins. He appeared as if from nowhere, he remade the world, and then he vanished without a trace.

- Altaro Javan, A Legend in Context, Rudar-ta-Atracta

*****​

TO: Talephas

I regretfully inform you that I must resign the role of Viceroy of Athis with which you have entrusted me. I hope this will not cause you undue hardship, my friend, for that is the last thing I intend, but I am leaving and can no longer carry out those duties. I hope that you will find some among my followers worthy of carrying out your will on Athis, and I have instructed them to follow your guidance, as I always have. I thank you for all of your aid and friendship down the years, without which nothing I have done would have been possible, and I beg of you one last boon: that you guarantee that my followers honour my will and Testament when I am gone, and defend my Testament against any followers of the Dark who might seek to overturn it.

Good luck, may you always have Talad's favour, and farewell, my friend.

Captain Altaro Javan

*****​

A envelope is found in the Halyr's quarters, sealed with his personal signet. The ring is nowhere to be found, and neither is the Halyr. Within the curious councilors find a document. It reads:

Spoiler :
The Last Testament of Altaro Javan, Halyr of Athis

Whereas it is clear that the Enemies of Light and Civilization have been defeated, so is it clear that my task is come to an end. I hereby decree that those domains falling under my rule shall be divided among fit and righteous rulers, for it was never my intent to replace one foreign tyranny by another.

The Kingdom of Astria I entrust to my loyal ally and friend Samnar, who by his devotion to the Light and the right order of things has proved his fitness. I charge he and his descendants to reign in that country as Kings until the Halyr returns, to rule in justice and fairness, according to the Treaty of Reppaba and my will, and to never again bow to the oppression of Aitahists seeking to overthrow the freedom of that country, no matter how sweet their words sound.

The Empire of Nahar I entrust to my loyal ally and friend the Satrap Tebhar, who by his unbending devotion to Illumination and great efforts against the enemies of the World has shown himself a true servant of Nahar, and the one man I can trust to restore the rightful glory of that Empire. I charge he and his descendants to reign in that country as Emperors until the Halyr returns, to rule in justice and fairness, to restore the ancient glory and fame of Nahar, to defend the Indagahori and the Maninists and all those who honor the Light, and oppose at every turn the efforts of any, Aitahist or otherwise, to disrupt the order of the World in the Khirilma.

The Roshate that bears my name I entrust to Shevaneh, Lord of Chavi and the Eastern Peko, who by his devotion to the Light and willingness to set aside his own safety and devote his life to the protection of the Faithful has proved his unbending resolve and sole fitness for the rule of that country. I charge he and his descendants to reign in that country as Rosh until the Halyr returns; to protect the Light and the Faithful and to never bend to the oppression of the Aitahists, the Faronun, the Savirai, or whomever else might seek to overthrow the freedom of that country, no matter how sweet their words sound.

The Kingdom of Seelht I entrust to my loyal servant and friend Glynt, the Lord of Flammhelt. I charge he and his descendants to reign in that country as Kings until the Halyr returns; to rule in justice and fairness, to defend the Faith and the Faithful in the north of the World, to safeguard the peace that I have brought the Stettin lands, and to never bow to any successor of Ogynan's legacy who might seek to overturn the right order of the World.

Finally, my homeland of Gallat I entrust to my loyal servant and friend Caron Nuvor, the Ihalint Soredi, who has ever proved himself a wise and honorable man and who I trust to bear my legacy and that of the illustrious House Nuvor. I charge he and his descendants to reign in that country as Lords Protector until the Halyr returns; to rule in justice and fairness, defend the Faith and the Faithful wherever they may be under threat, and restore the glory and prosperity destroyed by the Savirai.

I charge each of these rulers to agree to a pact of eternal friendship and alliance, that each will aid the other against any who seek overturn my will and return the World to darkness, that travel and commerce among each shall go unimpeded, that Athis might achieve new heights of unity and prosperity, and that the freedom and independence of all shall be guaranteed.

I further charge each of them to acknowledge the Redeemer of Man as the Ruler of the North of the World, the ultimate overlord of Athis and the guarantor and executor of my Testament, and to pay appropriate homage to him.

And with that the Halyrate has achieved its purpose, and therefore I hereby proclaim the Halyrate dissolved. It shall remain empty and defunct until such time as it needed again, when I or my successor will return to claim it and restore again the order of the World.

Witnessed in the Light by

Risadri, High Ward of Maninism
Araldi Nuvor, Second Highest
Gabas, Ihalint Sadorishi

Signed and Sealed by
Captain Altaro Javan, Once-Halyr

*****​
Spoiler the Testament of Altaro Javan, as Prepared for Lord Protector Caron Nuvor, RM 520 :

Shadows on the Walls

Opal Palace - Almadi – Airani Roshate

Nahri om Jiarabala was lost. It was his second day in the Opal Palace, which was hard enough for many courtiers to navigate, let alone a twelve year old boy. Nahri had been sent by his father, Pohri, scion of the great Jiarabala family of Manas, to learn the etiquette of the Rosh’s court and so that he might one day be able to navigate the world of Airani politics with connections already in place. Nahri was at his moment questioning his own navigational skills however, as he struggled to find his guest room in the palace. How could I be so stupid? Master Ohala had offered to take me to my room but I insisted I could find it on my own…I’ve never even seen this part of the palace before.

Suddenly he saw two shadows cast by torches on the wall of the hallway he was about to turn into. Knowing it was possible he was somewhere he was not supposed to be, Nahri hid behind the corner of the hallways to let the shadows pass. However the two flickering silhouettes paused and began to speak in hushed tones.

“…we’re about to be caught in a maelstrom, Kohrdi. I need your guidance, old friend, for it is clear to me that every stinking noble in court has their own agenda, whether it be war with the Kargan or war with the Gallatenes or standing by like cowards so that we can maintain the status quo. You are wise though, Kohrdi om Tiabana. To think my childhood friend is now a Ward of Man; it’s still funny to of where you are now after all of the trouble we got into as children.”

“You want my council, my Rosh? What advice could a simple Ward such as me have for a great man such as you?”

“You know what I want, Kohrdi – also, you can stop it with the formality, we know each other too well for that – I need your spiritual guidance. I hear the Wards and Acolytes speak of corruption of the Faith in Sirasona; such rumors trouble me greatly. For-”

“For corruption in Sirasona may corrupt the Faith in all of Gallat, and then in all the world, bringing an end to mankind’s greatest hope for perfection. I know of this corruption, Sabhru, and it fills my heart with fear and keeps me awake at night. I fear that the Great Ward, wise as he may be, has fallen under the influence of Javan and the Halyrs and has become blind to what the Faith truly needs. He has allowed Aitahist and Aelonist influence to creep into his mind.

I tell you this, my Rosh, my dear friend. The Faith is one body – should one arm of it become infected by some corruption, the corruption will spread until the whole body is consumed by it, and nothing will remain but a husk, a corpse. You see, this is the difference between heathens and heretics. One can identify and fight heathens easily enough; their ways are so foreign and strange that they are easy to see. And, if the Faith is one body, it is strong enough to fend off the heathens should they threaten it. But heresy presents an entirely different issue. One might not notice an infection or he might dismiss it as trivial. This allows the infection to fester and spread, corrupting the whole body. Fighting the infection is harder than fighting another body; it might require one to take bitter medicines, or, in the worst case, cut off the corrupted limb to save the body as a whole.

What we see occurring in Sirasona and Gallat may be the beginning of an infection, a heresy that threatens to consume and destroy our great Faith. Their reverence for individual humans, making them seem to be gods, turns their attention away from inner perfection, as they believe that it will be the duty of another, a “hero,” to come along and right all wrongs; they will have no motivation to take action themselves until this chosen one arrives. I would propose that we have no more heroes, no more gods. I would propose that we return the Faith to what it was – the search for inner perfection. I would change a great many things, but I am a simple Ward, and tradition requires me to submit to the Great Ward, even if it means that I must accept that this infection will consume and destroy the Faith. For if the body of the Faith cannot itself achieve inner perfection, if it is doomed to fall to corruption because of its reverence for the heroes of Aitahism and Aelonism, then the redemption of mankind through its perfection will be forever lost to us. If only I could treat this infection. No gods, no heroes, only Man. But alas, I cannot –”

“But what if you could? What if I could give you that power?”

The Rosh’s voice suddenly rose, making the young Nahri flinch. The ruler of the Airani Roshate caught the movement in the corner of his eyes. “Well, what do we have here. Little – Nughri, is it?”

“I-I-I’m-m-m-my name is Nahri, my Rosh –”

“Have you been here the entire time?”

“Y-y-ye-ye-yes, my Rosh.”

“Well then, I’m sure you’ve heard some very confusing things. Even us adults are confused by them sometimes. But I must ask you, Nahri, can you keep this conversation a secret between you, me, and Ward Tiabana? It’s very important for the whole Roshate that you do.”

“O-of course, my Rosh”

“He seems to be a well-behaved boy, Sabhru. I can see you going far, young Nahri.”

“I agree, old friend. Come, Nahri, let me take you to your quarters. As for you, Kohrdi, we will continue this conversation later.”

“Yes my Rosh, my dear friend, Sabhru.”

Once the Rosh of the Airani had shown him to his bed, Nahri went to sleep, and his dreams cleansed from his memory the confounding affairs of the adult world.

Top Bottom