End of Empires - N3S III

to: Union of Aya'se

Your conspiracy has been unmasked. This is your punishment.

From: High Prince Arastephas, Redeemer of Men, High Prince of the Satar Exatai
To: The Union of Aya'se

There is a tale that the wars of the earth are merely a pale reflection of those in the heavens. Our Great God-King Taleldil and your ancestor spirits have struggled on the plains of star and cloud, and we have been proved the right through force of arms. Your shield is cloven, your legend-scrolls have been burnt.

You are not the weak-willed metal traders we had thought you to be. Though your militia shriek with the taste of death upon their lips, I have seen your true soldiers die without fear. This honors me, and I regarded you as a worthy foe, even as I cut down the robed men you call 'senators' and 'bankers,' who are like princes to you. Why an accumulation of gold and fat makes a man a prince, I know not. Still, your soldiers died like men of the plains.

I have taken some of your scribes to administer my kingdom. They are men who know more than all of my soothsayers and mystics. I am not afraid to admit this. There is much we could gain from the Aya'se...things that we cannot gain through force. But the Satar and the Trilui sea-men may accept your surrender. Acknowledge my hegemony, and the hegemony of the Trilui emperor over the oceans, and we may allow you to survive with some semblance of freedom.

Yes, we know, it is traditional to reply with terms of brave resistance. Let us dispense with those now. You will die if we say it, and live if we say it. Only your children will pay the price of your pride. Acknowledge our mastery and you may survive. Deny it, and you will only feel the bite of the shackle and the pain of the spear.

To the Ritti
From the Law-Giver of the Believers, Vtaityn

Your armies have been routed. Your lands lie under assault, cities laid open to devastating assaults. Your ally has been erased, their idols cast upon the ground and their crimes absolved. As I write this note, I must speculate the continued advance of my armies. These tidings are of uplifting news to my people, and we stand poised to erase your heathenish idols from this world.

And yet, as our men continue to erase your stain from the land, deep news from my diviners has cast this all in a new light. I have watched as the brightest stood and counted their charts, counting many times, and watched their growing dismay as their fortunes revealed. I must stress that you do not take the wrong meaning of this; should we choose to continue, this war has been read to conclude in our favor. Their reason of sorrow lies not from the Ritti but from a power known not to you. This power is a suffice threat to secure your survival.

It is with a sour taste in my mouth that I present these terms to you and your people. Acknowledge the rise of the Evyn Empire and its dominance of the old lands of the Prokym. Cede to us the land that has been taken in the course of this battle; in return we will cede the lands to the west of your city. You may continue to cling to your gods, but be warned that such a decision will result in your downfall upon one coming day.

Spoiler :

OOC: Very nice.

Troubled Times

Sayfo Maeriouhau sat in thought, pondering the news he had just received. Seis had fallen, not 20 haia (days) earlier. He gazed out of the window, over the Lovi Sea. His feelings were very mixed.

Certainly, there was pity for and horror of the atrocity that had been committed. Seis, a city older than time itself, was, if his messenger's words were true, utterly destroyed. His loyalties, too, were divided. Not too long ago, he would have, without consideration, thrown in his lot with the Sesh. However, in the intervening period, they had abandoned the coalition which had gathered in their defense, been invaded by Faron's longtime friends and neighbours, the Trilui- and now this dire war had broken out.

Certainly, Faerafaen thought, the long-lasting blanket of Helsian peace between Trilui and Farou could not be violated- to do so would be terribly dishonourable, treacherous, foolish, and possibly even suicidal. However, even with these realities considered, he could not in good conscience abandon the Union of Aya'se.

Still more to consider was the war against the enslavers in the south, where his brother Faerafaen Maeriouhau fought along the north bank of the Had near the city of Salgaron, and the General Rafim Aramsayafa boldly held the city of Subal. Until Gepo's threat could be ended or at least contained, Farou's forces would be unable to defend their northwestern borders- this matter striking Sayfo particularly close to home, as Dremaiu- the home of himself and the Maeriouhau Faeoria (Family House)- would be the very first city struck by any invader on such a front.

He sighed, running his left hand through his mid-length, dark brown hair. Sayfo knew that he had a plan- he was of a resourceful Faeoria, one which was seldom without plans- but he could not shake the doubts that he was leading the proud, free people of Faron to their dooms.

Holding these troubled thoughts out of his mind for the moment, Sayfo began to write down, in flowing Faerouhaiouan script, his proposals, to be presented to the other senior members of his family house. With their approval- and he doubted that they would disagree with or oppose him- he could effect his orders upon the King.

Completing his writing, he rose, and strode over towards his window. Sunset had come, and fading light rippled off the waters of the Lovi Sea. Sayfo knew that he would soon learn whether his feelings were true, as a red tinge emenated from the northwest.

Note: Dremaiu is the name of Dema in Faerouhaiaouan, the dominant language in northern Faron.

To: Trilui

In these troubled times of war, we wish to reaffirm the long peace that has reigned over our fair homelands- I vow that I shall not see it break by my hand- could you, my friend, swear the same?

Stats are up. Given that I had to do this twice (had a mixup midway through and lost all the work), there are probably errors large enough to drive semis through. Please, please, please point them out.

The rest of the front page will eventually be updated, but not today.

I presume that the religion and culture of conquered territories will not be added at this juncture to avoid needless confusion. As for the income, I appreciate that it has grown due to the conquest as well as with the story bonus, but I thought Bisria was richer - will our income grow further if/when we rebuild it and consolidate our power there (and especially if our trade route plans as detailed in the orders will start to bear fruit now that we have unified all those lands under our rule, such as it is)? I don't have any more complaints, though.

You mentioned in the update how increased rainfalls boosted my agriculture. Shouldn't that start to show in my manpower pool? or is it too recent phenomenon to affect this turn?

Btw, Stad Men are still on the stats :p

I would think that my manpower would be slightly larger with the addition of the Katdhi, Clotir, and Bahran populations, in addition to the other intact portions of the Sesh under my control.

das...we will have some words for the Moti soon.

OOC: My income didn't change from taking over the Seshweay trade routes, or was that counteracted by the loss of Jania?

to: Faron
Our peace is safe.

to: High Prince Arastephas, Redeemer of Men, High Prince of the Satar Exatai
We congratulate you on your victory and hope the Sesh wise up and accept our demands.

to: Union of Aya'se
Return Jania to us, and along with current borders we can have peace.

das...we will have some words for the Moti soon.

Just as long as you don't forget about the poorly-explored mountains between your and mine new territories. ;)

To: The Most Holy Church of Iralliam
We would like to tell the Church that we offer safe passage other the Kotthorns, if your missionaries wish to spread Iralliam to the northern parts of the world.

I presume that the religion and culture of conquered territories will not be added at this juncture to avoid needless confusion. As for the income, I appreciate that it has grown due to the conquest as well as with the story bonus, but I thought Bisria was richer - will our income grow further if/when we rebuild it and consolidate our power there (and especially if our trade route plans as detailed in the orders will start to bear fruit now that we have unified all those lands under our rule, such as it is)? I don't have any more complaints, though.

As the lands are still in some chaos, you didn't get the entirety of the Bisrian income. A similar thing happened with Thlayli, for example, where even though the Seshweay lost approximately 3/4 of their income, the Satarai only gained about 3/8.

You mentioned in the update how increased rainfalls boosted my agriculture. Shouldn't that start to show in my manpower pool? or is it too recent phenomenon to affect this turn?

Btw, Stad Men are still on the stats :p

The manpower should be slightly up; with it and the conquest of Dinyart, we'll go with 5,000 men.

Oh, and I'll fix that in my own stats.

OOC: My income didn't change from taking over the Seshweay trade routes, or was that counteracted by the loss of Jania?

As you're still at war and haven't had control over the northern trade routes for very long, your income bounce wasn't as large as it will eventually be.

NK, how strong are those barbarians to by northwest? They seem pretty strong, seeing as how they managed to push my borders back. Also, how advanced are they? Would it be possible for me to contact their leaders?

NK, how strong are those barbarians to by northwest? They seem pretty strong, seeing as how they managed to push my borders back. Also, how advanced are they? Would it be possible for me to contact their leaders?

Right, I forgot to mention them in the update. They are not terribly advanced; only a collection of chiefdoms with a lot of people. You can certainly contact their leaders.

Luertasi Rzvastiro

“What are the Gods but the servants of man?” –Duke Tiarjia of Liang

The waters gushed out of the river and rushed out into the surrounding plains. Fields of grain were wiped out in an instant with the homes near the riverbanks being overwhelmed with waves of water. Fortunately, the people living in the homes had long abandoned their fields with what they could take for them. This land did not breed fools; when it did, they died quickly. The point of mistakes was to learn from them, not to suffer them in ignorance.

Yet overlooking the terraced farmlands were the people who had lost much in this flood. And with them were men of a rare breed, men much whispered and discussed even in such a faraway place. The villagers looked on while their most distinguished and respected members were engaged in deep conversation with the two young men. It was remarkable.

How odd it must be to be a villager.

“We have told you all you wanted to know, where are the promised monies and support?” asked one of the village elders suspiciously. Promises and assurances by armored men had not often been fulfilled in the past. Life had hardened him yet time after time, the hope and expectation of a kept promise remained. The young men remained expressionless and with one simply asking one question:

“Do you not trust us?” Not without an edge to his voice. The situation quickly became tense. Villagers were after all villagers, quick with words of blame and praise depending on the context of their lives. The young of the group grasped their pitchforks and simple bows, as if their farming and hunting tools would be capable of defending against highly trained practitioners of war.

“No. Not at all. You have done little to earn our trust and nothing to merit our beliefs. You ride into our village a simple fortnight ago and expect us to trust your words as if they were the words of Heaven. We don’t know who you are, where you come from, and what your purpose is. You simply came and expect to be obeyed. So we ask you this, who are you and what do you want?”

“We are men: men of honor and dignity. That is all you need to know. And if our presences are no longer welcomed, we will beg your pardons and proceed to leave.” And without any further words, the two men marched off to their well-equipped steeds and gently trotted away. Leaving the villagers naught but memories of something they were not, and a ray of hope.

Yet far off, the two men conversed amongst themselves…

“Baiji, what are your thoughts?”

“My Prince, it is my firm conviction that we have garnered the sufficient amount of information and knowledge as we were requested to,” said Baiji with the utmost solemn nature. Tiarjia threw his companion a quizzical look, taking care not to fall off his mount in the meantime with that simple gesture.

“You agree with my father’s actions then?” was what Tiarjia asked of his long-time friend. “You know that my father has been doing naught but combating the will of the Gods themselves. Our Gods are incapable of mercy. If they choose to turn against us, men have long resigned themselves to suffering their god’s wrath. I will not. If the Gods weaken us, then we will rather cast off the Gods. Man is the arbitrator of their own destinies, not relying on the goodwill of the Heavens. Does that make sense? Or does it smell of heretical Avaese thought?”

Baiji as he had for much of his life, remained possessing a bland expression. It was rather pointless in his mind to fight against the will of the Gods and he had known that fact long ago.

“It can be said that because of those reasons that the new wandering aesthetic is doomed to fail. The man’s, I believe Kongfuzi, ranting is rather abysmal considering the nature of the social order. As we have so cleverly seen, the fact is that the peasants do not know their ‘correct place’ in this society with their lords. And because of that, we can see his mad dream of social harmony between the classes to be what it is: the insane ramblings of an insane man. How can social relations become so static? Fluidity is the nature of things, the nature of all things. That is why the Gods are there. They exist because we exist and we continue to believe in them. Should all the Ming states suddenly cease to exist, would our Gods remain? Or do they only exist because we believe them to?”

The two said nothing, simply remaining vigilant over the border of their thoughts.

To: The Most Holy Church of Iralliam
We would like to tell the Church that we offer safe passage other the Kotthorns, if your missionaries wish to spread Iralliam to the northern parts of the world.

You guard the path of the material, we guard the path of the immortal, let us move forth as one to stabalise and bring peace and truth to those who need it most.

Top Bottom