Enkidu Warrior

thestonesfan

A Client of Ron Kuby
I'm sure most players have noticed this, but I didn't see it on the boards.

The Enkidu Warrior attack animation is kind of messed up. He drops to a position much lower in the square and then starts his stick-jab attack. It's a little jarring.

I have noticed something else with the Enkidu Warrior. Shouldn't it upgrade to a Swordsman instead? It's a warrior, so it follows that it should upgrade to a Swordsman, just like the Warrior.

It upgrades to a pikeman.

I too figured it would go to a sword... and was somewhat annoyed when I found it didn't. It makes sense that it sticks with a defensive upgrade path, but it does shut off the warrior -> sword upgrade for Sumer. *shrug*

-Arrian

Interesting, just picked the Sumerians for my first game. Iron is currently unconnected, but I was assuming the sword upgrade path as well...

on topic: I'm either blinded by all that new stuff or I just like the attack/defend animations of the Enkidu warrior...:)

Hmm. Dunno.

Maybe you could post a screenie where the Enkidu 'drops to a much lower position in the square', i.e. gets somehow smaller(?) if I understood correctly(?).

Anyways, I'll draw much more attention to the Enkidu's animation tonite (including aesthetic 'measurement';)).

Edit: Now I see. Enkidu *shifts* somehow... Totally agree, it is looking strange.

I tried to get screenshots of this, but apparently you can't snap a new screenshot during battle, or at least I couldn't do it.

Here's the sequence of events for an attack:
  1. Command EW to move into enemy tile
  2. EW advances partway to new tile correctly aligned
  3. EW starts attacking, and right as the attack animation starts the EW drops a couple of pixels and is no longer vertically centered in the "team color disc" circle throughout the attack animations.
  4. Upon victory the EW returns to proper alignment for the victory and move animations.
  5. I failed to notice how the death animation is aligned upon defeat.

My guess is that the EnkiduWarrior_attack.flc is misaligned. I used Flc2Gif to convert the attack and run animations and the attack animation for the Chasquis Scout to compare the alignment, but each GIF created from these flc's by Flc2Gif is a different size, so I don't know how to compare alignment. Interestingly the EW attack animation is much larger than the others with tons of "white space" around the animation.

Due to the sizes I'll just post links, not images:
EW attack (211k animated gif)
EW run (114k animated gif)
Chasquis Scout attack (173k animated gif) (for comparison)

(edit) To attempt to compare alignment, I took one of the last frames of the attack and run animations and divided them into quadrants to locate the center. The results seem backwards from what I expected:

Attack is on the left, run is on the right. I believe both units have at least one foot on the ground in each frame. The run animation has an odd number of rows so one of the divider lines is one thick instead of two.

:bump: Three years worth of necromancy, yes, I'm bumping this age-old thread.

Does anybody know if this bug has been fixed? I couldn't find anything on the search.

If you're running C3C 1.22 and it's in there, then it's not fixed and never will be officially. Perhaps someone may fix the animation but i doubt it since it means messing with copyrighted artwork.

I came here to file a bug report and was surprised to see a dot indicating a thread I had posted in.

Firaxis/whoever isn't going to fix this. However, I suspect a unit modder could fix this since it appears (to me) to be a fixable graphics goof. You might try posting in the mod section requesting a modder to fix it. Who knows, maybe someone already has?

EDIT: I haven't played or fought Sumeria in a while, so I haven't even seen for myself if this is still a problem in the final patch (1.22).

EDIT 2: I searched the file db and mod area and found nothing except this thread on the same subject with no files.

Top Bottom