Ethiopia: The Land of Wonder

Just so you guys are aware, I played for a few more turns before you all started flipping out :p

Well as a muslim myself, and one who has a passing acquaintance with Islamic history, I understand what VGL means- after the Rashidun caliphate, there was a split known as the fitna in the Islamic world where the sects we know as Sunni and Shia sprung up from. The Shia were persecuted because they considered all Caliphs who ruled and didn't have the blood line of the prophet as impostors.

So in Ethiopa, it would be difficult for Shia to get along with the government, because according to Shia thought, the muslim world should be lead by the blood line of the prophet. That said, how exactly the Shia envision this is a mystery to me.
Hooray.Another Muslim

I think there was just a misunderstanding. I think he meant that the caliphates persecuted that one sect. Not all of Islam. Anyways, if the Ulema want to meet together and discuss what to do and the rebels do the same then one person from each part PM me the plans. Also, since I am the caliph I will obviously take the bias of being the caliph in the story :p

I hate Sunni Ethiopian caliphs :D and we aren't a sect.We are a branch

Can anyone tell me about the differences of Protestant/Catholic/Orthodoxy?And good for Hinduism.

Though in the Indian context, there were never very sharp divisions. The divisions were treated more like sects than as branches. Shaivites and vaishnavs competed for state patronage and proselytizing animist populations but they never openly attacked each other. Buddhism's and Jainism's relation with Hinduism is a bit more complex. There are sporadic incidents of persecution under Pushyamitra Sunga and even under Ashoka (persecuting certain hindu sects) exist but their veracity is often debated (like with everything else in Indian history) .

After the turkic invasions and the bhakti movement, the division between vaishnav and shaiviite became more and more formal or titular than anything substantial. Buddhism in turn divided into the Mahayana and Hinayana schools after the second buddhist council presided by Kanishka. This event is as big for Buddhism as the schism in Christianity. South East Asia is mostly Hinayana ( like the orthodoxy of Buddhism ) and most of China and East Asia is Mahayana with tantric variants which were developed in Bengal.

Tantrism still thrives in Bengal but without Buddhism. Shakti is the third strongest variation of Hinduism but that is no longer recognized. Though modern hinduism as Swami Vivekananad laid it out arose from Shakti-ism. Sri Paramhansadev from Bengal was his tutor.

The last two are pretty much alike except Catholicism uses Latin and Orthodoxy uses Greek. The Protestant branch was formed when people saw the Catholics as self-indulging and in general Catholics are stricter and believe that you can be forgiven for your sins by donating stuff to charity and asking for forgiveness.

The Catholic/Orthodox Schism was largely political rather than theological in nature. The main issues were what language, Greek or Latin, to use in church rites, what type of bread to use and finally, the main issue was the subject of the Papal Primacy and later on Papal Supremacy of the Bishop of Rome. After the capital of the Roman Empire moved away from Italy to Constantinople, a lot of the Emperors supported the Patriarch of Constantinople for the honor of First of Equals instead of the Patriarch of Rome as it had been for centuries. This was when the issue of Papal Primacy began. Papal Primacy was a pope claiming to be the First of Equals of the patriarchs. There were two separate papal positions created back then. The first was the Pope of Alexandria and the second was the Pope of Rome. As the Roman Empire began to lose influence in Italy, the Pope of Rome began to grow more independent and began claiming to rule all of Christendom and that the other Patriarchs were supposed to serve him. This was the issue of Papal Supremacy over the other Patriarchs. This Schism was thought to have been cemented by the Fourth Crusade where the Crusaders first attacked the Catholic city of Zata then pillaged, murdered, and raped the City of Constantinople and its denizens.

Yeah that's why I said there is very little actual difference between the Catholics and Orthodox.

Can you guys please discuss this elsewhere?

right.on topic,what the ulemas decided about us and the country?and is the theocracy Sunni?

The theocracy is neither Sunni nor Shiite. If you are an educated Muslim elite you can gain power.

and what did the ulemas decide about us and our country?

Nothing yet

I don't know just be patient

What's so funny?

Top Bottom