(EUI Users Polls)

Should we have the non-EUI method of choosing a technology?

• Total voters
Let's say Civ A offers you a DoF. Do you really remember whether they have an active denunciation/war on any of your friends, or vice versa?
Now Civ A asks you for a co-op war against Civ B. Do you always remember if there's an active promise not to declare war on Civ B? Will it expire in 10 turns?

No i don't always remember, especially the specific turn numbers -- but I try to keep a general idea of whats going on, and where I forget, well, world leaders and governments forget things too. Have you ever tried to get a RL bureaucrat to produce useful information? Its even worse experience than the vanilla ui.

For DoF, often you can just go back to that same civ and propose DoF after rejecting it -- not always, but often. But to your point, there are some deals they offer that are one-offs, its true. When I get those ones, I'll try to piece together everything I remember and make an educated guess. Sometimes these end up as blunders and I gotta deal with the consequences; part of the game imo. :dunno:

Anyway i would like to use EUI tbh, but its not worth the trouble for 43-civ on huge, my standard settings

EUI actually has more efficient code (just take a look at the vanilla EnemyUnitPanel.lua, ewwwww), just more features that may clog up memory.

I think the way to go is sticking to "VPUI" that is a modification of EUI with every feature optional, then making it the only installation option.

The sweet spot is probably a beginner-friendly UI like vanilla but with more efficient code like what EUI does.
EUI just has way more stuff that we can make as optional.

I prefer the JFD-style of a top bar where yields are compacted into a single top left corner box instead of one line in the top bar. I forgot which mod that it came from.
Too much stuff is placed at the top bar which means players who play in a lower resolution can't see all of them during late games.

The sweet spot is probably a beginner-friendly UI like vanilla but with more efficient code like what EUI does.
EUI just has way more stuff that we can make as optional.

I prefer the JFD-style of a top bar where yields are compacted into a single top left corner box instead of one line in the top bar. I forgot which mod that it came from.
Too much stuff is placed at the top bar which means players who play in a lower resolution can't see all of them during late games.
That's what the condensed top panel mod is for.

That's what the condensed top panel mod is for.
No, I use it and it's still not enough. There are just too many yields and stuff packed into there.
There are many wasted vertical spaces that we can fill.

But the top panel has no vertical space?

But I want my top left corner box to show the currently researched tech.

whats annoying is late game sort of early information age I dread going into the science screen waiting for a CTD. So I end up inefficiently clicking on future tech and letting it run to mitigate. I even try to use a small map and 6 civs/12 city states and turn off yield info and still get heap corruption crashes from city screen or a look in a science screen.

I know there's a lot of hardwork gone into creating EUI but once it starts affecting experience of the endgame having to reload and wait because of a ctd vs smooth but lacking experience of the standard ui id take the Standard as im not reloading every turn - 5 turns because of the city screen/science screen. IMO this needs to be corrected I can stand the odd ctd but not every turn late game.

for me id turn off the bottom left I dont use use it all those icons especially if youve got around 50-60 endgame units is a drag the auto unit cycle is fine. Theres probably more that I dont really use

If Memory is an issue and we are hitting the limits of 32-bit addressing maybe start taking things out and not adding new features. Ive read the x64 isnt an option then for me concentrating on what we have.

Do you use Improved City View? I haven't had any problem using that.

EUI actually has more efficient code
I am sure it does, but I wonder if the inefficiency in vanilla wasn't deliberate... I can write much more cpu-efficient modmod code by storing more stuff in memory... For example, the fires in TreeSuccession -- I keep track of them in memory, cuz this is more efficient on the CPU, but I could instead just do an all-plots check every turn to find them and never track them at all. In that mod, the latter, less efficient option would result in large delays every turn, but it would use less memory and still run as intended. As the game goes on, it's possible the memory gets overwritten and my mod loses track of things with the more efficient code -- for my purposes it's acceptable to have a function that just fixes the tracking on each save reload, a few fires lingering longer than they're supposed to won't break anything. Anyway in this example I think we can see that being more efficient=less stability (it just doesn't really matter there)

I'm not familiar with UI Lua but I wonder if the same effect is in play as we discuss efficiency vs stability of vanilla vs eui.

If on the vanilla version we could hovering cities to see diplomatic stuffs, and do same when conversing with the AI... It could be a good compromise between memory consumption and QOL improvement.

Last edited:
Do you have a comprehensive list of differences between EUI and vanilla?

Top Bottom