Events in Vox Populi

epicivfreak

Prince
I am rather tired of the events unfolding in Vox Populi. They're too predictable.
Is there anyone else feeling the same?
Can we possibly do events in fours, so that anytime an event occurs, there's a 25% chance of something happening, rather than a 100% chance of something happening?

I feel that. I like the idea of events, but they are repetitive. Also, I find myself getting very tired of the ones that pillage improvements, like flooding or mine collapse.

For me, they have become an unfun sort of randomness. I will be turning them off when I start my next game.

You can choose which kind of event you want in your game. Flooding or collapses are under 'bad event' category (there is also 'good' and 'neutral' events), so you can just switch them off and keep the rest.

I feel that. I like the idea of events, but they are repetitive. Also, I find myself getting very tired of the ones that pillage improvements, like flooding or mine collapse.

For me, they have become an unfun sort of randomness. I will be turning them off when I start my next game.
Yep, I feel the same way. I've turned them off long time ago and was never looking back.
You can choose which kind of event you want in your game. Flooding or collapses are under 'bad event' category (there is also 'good' and 'neutral' events), so you can just switch them off and keep the rest.
It could distort the balance if you have good events without bad events,

I enjoy having em on but agree they feel very scripted -- like EVERY playthrough you're getting the same choice of golden age points or happiness within the first buncha turns, never fails. I think the VP balancistas set their sights on them at one point in VP's distant past, making sure they were all very samey and consistent in the interest of fairness, but with pretty poor results for those of us that enjoy the thematic aspects

I think the VP balancistas set their sights on them at one point in VP's distant past, making sure they were all very samey and consistent in the interest of fairness, but with pretty poor results for those of us that enjoy the thematic aspects
nah its more that when the events system was made, it was designed as a skeleton with the assumption that other people would add in events and make it more robust.

And while I believe there are some modmods out there that did its never been integrated into core VP. So the number of events remains pretty low, and so you get the same kinds of events over and over again.

nah its more that when the events system was made, it was designed as a skeleton with the assumption that other people would add in events and make it more robust.

And while I believe there are some modmods out there that did its never been integrated into core VP. So the number of events remains pretty low, and so you get the same kinds of events over and over again.
maybe i mis-remember, but i seem to recall in the early days they were a little more variable, not always as consistent within the same window of turns? Perhaps just a false observation, I never looked into the underlying code.

It is a nice framework for modding. Though I haven't used it yet, I am hoping to, would hate to see it gone as core feature of VP. Just needs some tweaks, filling it out with more events would probably be a good fix from my thematic-bias perspective.

I recently have the structure created in TreeSuccession mod for on-map wildfires -- would like to have the 'fire' events actually create wildfire on the map; but I am unfamiliar with the event system lua hooks and short of time for now to investigate. Will also attempt similar with the hurricane events, down the road. If anyone is familiar with any resources that demonstrate how to hook into the event system and identify specific event-types, you might save me some time if you can point me to these. Thanks!

Last edited:
I would also like to see some variety in the events. The bad events can be annoying but at least it adds gameplay and more things to do-

This is the main gist of it, to be honest.

@hokath and I are probably one of the remaining Events modmodders still present in the scene to work on new systems and I'm even contemplating whether to keep it "balanced" or "thematic" should we or I return to it.

I suspect most people never saw the majority of the events:

My personal view after many years of struggle is that they don't belong in VP. I turn them off.

I suspect most people never saw the majority of the events:

My personal view after many years of struggle is that they don't belong in VP. I turn them off.
I used to try running that mod often, though its been many years. Every time I had it loaded I'd reach some game-breaking soft lock when an event notification could not be opened, and turn could not be ended as a result. Is it in good shape for 3.7.12?

>soft lock
I've not experienced that, but I was using an old, personal version so it might have appeared later in development. Sorry :(

>soft lock
I've not experienced that, but I was using an old, personal version so it might have appeared later in development. Sorry :(
no worries I'll give it another try soon, will try to confirm. I rather enjoy these

@hokath & @Enginseer Do you know how I'd go about hooking into the fire events? Specifically I want to spawn a wildfire in the TreeSuccession mod when this event occurs, but I don't know how to identify it.

no worries I'll give it another try soon, will try to confirm. I rather enjoy these

@hokath & @Enginseer Do you know how I'd go about hooking into the fire events? Specifically I want to spawn a wildfire in the TreeSuccession mod when this event occurs, but I don't know how to identify it.
Lua... uhh Player:DoFireEvent or something similar something like that.

You would need to craft the wildfire event in XML/SQL then.. I don't know what you want to do with it? You're going to have to be more specific.

Lua... uhh Player:DoFireEvent or something similar something like that.

You would need to craft the wildfire event in XML/SQL then.. I don't know what you want to do with it? You're going to have to be more specific.
I don't want to make a new event, but there is an existing fire event that pillages lumbermills iirc.. i just want to detect that one specifically, and add my own effect using the other mod

I don't want to make a new event, but there is an existing fire event that pillages lumbermills iirc.. i just want to detect that one specifically, and add my own effect using the other mod
Code:
<!-- Note: the following two game events fire when an event starts. -->
		<!-- GameEvents.EventActivated(iPlayer, iEvent)-->
		<!-- GameEvents.CityEventActivated(iPlayer, iCityID, iEvent)-->
	<!-- Note: the following two game events fire when an event choice starts. -->
		<!-- GameEvents.EventChoiceActivated(iPlayer, iChoice)-->
		<!-- GameEvents.CityEventChoiceActivated(iPlayer, iCityID, iChoice)-->
	<!-- Note: the following two game events fire when an event choice's duration value ends. -->
		<!-- GameEvents.EventChoiceEnded(iPlayer, iChoice)-->
		<!-- GameEvents.CityEventChoiceEnded(iPlayer, iCityID, iChoice)-->
	<!-- Note: the following four game events need to return a bool of true/false - true will end the function, false will let it continue normally. -->
		<!-- GameEvents.OverrideAIEvent(iPlayer, iEvent)-->
		<!-- GameEvents.OverrideAICityEvent(iPlayer, iCityID, iEvent)-->
		<!-- GameEvents.OverrideAIEventChoice(iPlayer, iChoice) -->
		<!-- GameEvents.OverrideAICityEventChoice(iPlayer, iCityID, iChoice)-->
	<!-- Note: the following two game events need to return a bool of true/false - false will count as a continue, true will let it continue normally. -->
		<!-- GameEvents.EventCanTake(iPlayer, iEvent)-->
		<!-- GameEvents.CityEventCanTake(iPlayer, iCityID, iEvent)-->
		<!-- GameEvents.EventChoiceCanTake(iPlayer, iChoice)-->
		<!-- GameEvents.CityEventChoiceCanTake(iPlayer, iCityID, iChoice)-->
	<!-- Note: the following lua hook fires if a unit is created via the (city)eventchoice_freeunits or (city)eventchoice_freeunitclasses player and city event tables -->
		<!-- GameEvents.EventUnitCreated(iPlayer, iEventChoice, CvUnit* pUnit)-->

I believe it's
Code:
<!-- GameEvents.EventActivated(iPlayer, iEvent)-->
		<!-- GameEvents.CityEventActivated(iPlayer, iCityID, iEvent)-->
and that's it. Just get the iEvent like you would and then act upon it.

Top Bottom