Fallen Enchantress

Congrats on the official release. It's a great game. Love the artwork and integrated feel. A genuine 3D map that you can rotate the camera through. Cities that visually grow over time building by building. Stacks and 1UPT in the same game. This is what TBS is all about.

Well done! Now the thing to do is to make history and do the exact opposite of what happened from BTS being modded into FFH2, and that is to mod FE into a new generation Civ game giving Firaxis some genuine competition!

Cheers

I hope this game will succeed. Sounds interesting. Havent tried it yet. I will, with this expansion. Sounds like it will be a better game, so am glad i missed the vanilla version then! :)

So if I didn't preorder this game do I not get to customize my units? *grumblegrumbleXCOMgrumble*

Seriously though, do I need to worry about what I'll be missing because I didn't preorder or didn't get a collector's edition? Still sore after getting burned recently.

I hope this game will succeed. Sounds interesting. Havent tried it yet. I will, with this expansion. Sounds like it will be a better game, so am glad i missed the vanilla version then! :)
I spent a whole lot of time just reading about this game, sounds very promising. But in the course or reading interviews & background about it, I stumbled on the whole Brad Wardell (owner of Stardock) - Alexandra Miseta lawsuit stuff, and what came out in court.

Holy crap, what a pig Wardell is. As someone who goes way back with Stardock & Wardell -- I was an initial release buyer of Gal Civ back in early 90s when it was only on OS/2 & engaged him in a number of conversations on comp.games.strategic.os2 (or whatever it was called) -- I am torn here. I want to support good games (and I hope this one truly will be, though after all the Wardell-admitted distortions of truth/reality surrounding the War of Magic release, the adage "fool me twice, shame on me" definitely applies to anyone buying it). And I want to see Kael, Paxton, Schafer et al rewarded if they have really achieved what is claimed (I have faith in them, but it is counterbalanced by Wardell's proven past distortions). But at the same time I want to see Wardell stop harassing other people, libeling them in order to cover up for his own mistakes, before I want to see him have success financially ...

So if I didn't preorder this game do I not get to customize my units? *grumblegrumbleXCOMgrumble*

Seriously though, do I need to worry about what I'll be missing because I didn't preorder or didn't get a collector's edition? Still sore after getting burned recently.

No, there isn't a bonus for preorder (other than being able to play the game for the past few months) and there isn't a collectors edition. You can customize your faction, sovereign and units with the game no matter when you buy it.

I for one, am really glad Civfanatics is highlighting this game, whether it's actually a huge commercial/artistic success or not. Strategy games are kind of a barren landscape nowadays, and even just having another competitor in the ring will be really good for the current giants, namely Civ.

Also, IMO, Schaeffer didn't ruin Civ V. He took a huge risk dramatically changing a games paradigms, a game that essentially hadn't been more than polished in the last three iterations. There were not NEW mechanics before that, just expansions and reworks of old ones. Of course it wasn't perfect at launch. I do feel it offers a very different experience, many of which will offer an immense range to future modders compared to earlier civ experiences. This guy being at a new company is a great thing. I hope he shakes up the mix and keeps producing innovative risks instead of tried and true moneymaking formulae. And lets be honest: the SOD mechanic is basically broken, it's a very all in win(more) style of play...and also the biggest gripe I see about changes.

Since Kael is in this thread at well, I'm also going to join the hordes of suckups and say that FFH was quite possibly the most I've ever played Civ. In fact, it was really a mod so complete that it might as well have been a new game. It blows civ4 out of the water. I'm tremendously excited to see you working with an up and coming company!

That being said, I played elemental, and I feel it deserves a lot of the complaints leveled at its previous iterations. Is there a demo available I can check out? I'm tentatively excited, but can't really convince myself to shell out for a new and relatively untried game with X-Com still demanding so much attention. :)

I did, however, just get it for free so I guess I will be checking it out. Kael, Jon, that was a class act giving it to those of us who had the faith to buy Elemental at release and got totally screwed. If this game doesn't suck, I'll take you out of the EA category.

I'm so glad the game is finally out. Stardock has done a great job with this one.

I spent a whole lot of time just reading about this game, sounds very promising. But in the course or reading interviews & background about it, I stumbled on the whole Brad Wardell (owner of Stardock) - Alexandra Miseta lawsuit stuff, and what came out in court.

Holy crap, what a pig Wardell is. As someone who goes way back with Stardock & Wardell -- I was an initial release buyer of Gal Civ back in early 90s when it was only on OS/2 & engaged him in a number of conversations on comp.games.strategic.os2 (or whatever it was called) -- I am torn here. I want to support good games (and I hope this one truly will be, though after all the Wardell-admitted distortions of truth/reality surrounding the War of Magic release, the adage "fool me twice, shame on me" definitely applies to anyone buying it). And I want to see Kael, Paxton, Schafer et al rewarded if they have really achieved what is claimed (I have faith in them, but it is counterbalanced by Wardell's proven past distortions). But at the same time I want to see Wardell stop harassing other people, libeling them in order to cover up for his own mistakes, before I want to see him have success financially ...

huh, missed that episode about dear Frogboy. Just judging from his chats he strikes me as the kind of frat guy that would do that, though.
I mean, just check out this quote from Wardell:
#3, however is not acceptable to me [* referring to a request to stop inappropriate jokes]. I am an inappropriate, sexist, vulgar, and embarrassing person and I'm not inclined to change my behavior. If this is a problem, you will need to find another job.

#4, Again, I am not willing to adapt my behavior to suit others. IF you find my behavior problematic, I recommend finding another job.

I'm not some manager or coworker of yours. I own the company. It, and your job here, exist to suit my purposes, not vice versa. The company is not an end unto itself, it is a means to an end which is to further the objectives of its shareholders (in this case, me).
What a piece of work.

Just so you know: If you buy Fallen Enchantress, you support arseholes. And Kael.
Kael probably trumps arsehole.

Anyone who's had any interaction with Wardell knows he's a jerk. He's also got a political ideology that is entirely compatible with the views he expressed in email. I'm sure that he believes that if he owns a company and he doesn't want to hire blacks or women or gay people, that should be his right also. He's probably too used to spouting off and I hope this time he gets seriously burned for it. I doubt it will change his attitudes about discrimination but, if you can't make people better as human beings, you can at least make them act better out of concern for the consequences.

I'll still buy the game if it's any good. We're waiting to find out, I guess. Not willing to buy the game just in order to find out if it's any good. If I liked the company and the owner more, I probably would just take a chance.

Whoa ! This Wardell really seems like an .... I'm sure that I'm not gonna support clowns like him :lol: I still love Kael tho ;) If the game is improved anyhow from the original War of Magic I'll buy it , but I will only consider buying it if "The Voice of the People" tells that it's good, Im not gonna listen/read/watch some cheap advertisement to be sure ;)

Another way to look at it is that we should all buy FE so that Stardock makes more money and therefore gets hit harder when they lose the lawsuit. After all, the compensation is likely to be based on lost wages, and the better the company is doing, the more that will be. :cool:

to be fair to Wardell, this is an episode before/during the Elemental disaster which by all accounts (even his own) was caused by his ego. Since that time he might as well have had an epiphany. He gave up his project and handed it over to Kael after all.

And I didn't chat with him after that, so I am not up to date on his personality. Stranger things have happened.

Regardless of whether Wardell's actions rose to the level of sexual harassment, it's clear from his response that Wardell is a bigoted sexist.

Sexism in the gaming industry is still a major issue and IMO should NOT be tolerated under any circumstances. The industry needs more female voices and the quickest way to chase women away is sexism and sexual harassment.

I truly didn't know anything about this and I'm not buying another thing from Stardock again unless/until Wardell leaves and sells the company.

Brad Wardell is hilarious. He's like a twisted version of Gabe Newell:lol:
Not buying the game because he's not nice to some random female is just stupid. Look at some major publishers. How many people were fired from Firaxis a few months before Civ5 was released? How many people are getting fired when a publisher decides to disband a developer? Think about that next time before purchasing a major title. One female > hundreds of people without work is pure 110% sexism.
Also, Stardock is one the last devs who truly support PC gaming. And FE by far is a superb game. Nothing else matters.

Just so you know: If you buy Fallen Enchantress, you support arseholes.

eh???

what sense does it make?
so you d never buy alice in wonderland cause the author was a pedophile?

tbh who cares what authors do in their private life as soon as their product is good
i mean i understand not buying apple because they make chinese kids illegally work but as soon as a developer dont break the law TO MAKE the game they can be an assassins for what i know and i dont care at all

btw do you make a background check for every movie you watch? are you sure none of the actors in there have done anything wrong?

Top Bottom