Fallout: Tame The Wastes bug reports

I dont know if this has been posted yet but I'm getting a "icon size mismatch: 64 size is only allowed by the city indicator compositor!" error after some time playing as Raiders and several turns later the game crashes, so basically I cant continue.

I seem to crash when I end the turn on turn 211 (2154, May, Week 4) every game. At least, in the two games I've played I did - I got much further in the tech tree in the second game, but still crashed at the same point.

Yeah we think we have finally fixed all the crash to desktop issues which will be out with the next version, we rather foolishly embarked on a rather large code addition, which is why the next release is taking so long. But be patient it's coming, we think the addition is more or less in, we are now testing to make sure we have got all the bugs shaken out, then it's a bit of ai work to get it using a new.feature, then a table spoon of new unit content and we should be ready to rock a brand new stable version of the.mod!

Got a bugged save here, once I end the turn it's 'waiting for another player' forever.

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-2164-April-Week 1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    256 KB · Views: 287
I thought I'd try out the new Fallout version. I discovered some turns in that I should have used my Survivor as a garrison, because otherwise the initial city becomes unhappy at size 2 (Noble difficulty). So I reloaded from my turn 1 save, but now I'm getting the following Python Exception pop-up every turn:

Spoiler :
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "CvEventInterface", line 82, in onEvent
File "BugEventmanager", line 346, in handleEvent
File "BugEventmanager", line 351, in _dispatchEvent
File "BugEventmanager", line 346, in _handleOnPreSaveEvent
File "BugData", line 97, in save
File "BugData", line 121, in save
File "BugData", line 124, in save
File "BugData", line 266, in _save
File "BugData", line 146, in __setitem__
TypeError: list indices must be integers

edit: I think this must be during my every-turn autosave; I also get it when I Quicksave.

yeah we have a hot fix for this, but I have yet to fully understand what both the alert and the fix are actually doing.

as far as I know it doesn't actually DO anything, so you can just turn python exceptions off, or try this fix.
Python hotfix
it goes in \Assets\Python\BUG

I think it is somtehing to do with some new building code I added, and it having some kind of merge problem with BUG, but like I said I don't really know what either are doing..

Thanks, Lib, that stops it.

Turn 51: I discover I am last in tech.
Turn 78: I discover Scavenging, intending to improve my resources - and promptly also discover I need 1000 gold (I have 0) and would need 65 turns to raise that much at my current population. I suspect research is a better bet.
Turn 101: I discover Organisation, try to use "Route To", and fail. I eventually discover the "Road" icon and that it needs 1000 gold.
On the other hand, I have somehow snuck into first place despite feeling like I'm in last.
Turn 106: I discover Writing. Tandy trades me Trapping and Banding Together for Leadership. Get Domesticated Animals and Improvised Armour from Maxson and move him from last place to 5th.
--And now they're harassing me for techs every turn. You know what Civ really needs? -A "No Extortion" option. If they're going to make diplomacy this incredibly dumb, at least have the option to make the AI Civs go to war before doing that.
Turn 148: I finally plant my second city. I had intended to develop the Munitions it was next to (so I could make Militias, so I could defend myself when the Barbarians show up), but now I can only save 11 gold a turn at 0% research while I can make 64 research at 90%. Research it is.
Turn 224: First improvement! Munitions Scavenger Camp, built with 515 gold mostly from selling techs. I'm making money now, so I should get the next one (Brahmin* Pasture, 1040 gold) before turn 300 (maybe a road too). -*Don't you mean Brahmas? -They're cattle, not Hindus. (Come to think, what better religion for a cow?)
Turn 254: Aaand Richardson is back in front. Size 24 to my 10 4 2. Also, possibly, because I've only now noticed I could have been building Wealth.

Bugs etc.: F3 screen: maybe try yellow text instead of light fluorescent lime green on not-quite-as-light fluorescent lime with more lime behind that?
city screen: maybe disable Vault building display for non-Vault cities and conversely?
Libraries: I went from 39 7 7 to 39 22 23 research when I added 2 Libraries. I forgot to check what changed inside the cities, but population and civics stayed the same.

I need sleep, so that's it for now. I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong -- is there some way to make gold before Local Business? If not, maybe move Wealth one back to Bartering, which has room to display the icon?

I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong -- is there some way to make gold before Local Business?

From my experience there isn't. local business is not only when you get the ability to build wealth bu also a few major gold buffing buildings.

Display bugs:
I know, I know, I know... it is not the text that is the problem it is the background glow, some backgrounds I have been able to fix, most I haven't... and this is with months of faffing. For now I have left the this alone, because frankly... it is a pain in the ass.

City Screen:
I am trying (or rather I tried for a bit got a headache and started praying for flitz to get some free time to help me try) to merge platy UI with BUG, or should I say 'harmonise' the two as they both bring somuch to the table, but there are so many moving parts with BUG that it is really hard to bring it all together, but I made the request to platy to do just that (have a toggle button that removes 'unbuildable' buildings) and within a day he had made it.

So yes this is firmly in my desired plans, but just beyond my ability to pull off at the minute. Platy has done a lot of features that I really want in the game, but because I have a BUG/K-mod foundation it is really hard to get them to work and I on't have the energy to do it right (or the brains for that matter).

The main way to gather cash in the early game is through building logging teams in forests. I have probably over priced a lot of improvements, Like i have said before I felt like slapping all the players that felt they were too rich for the apocalypse, 'How You Like it Now HUH!!' :p The other big one is the office from leadership.

But overall you are right, technology is the salvation of the waste and in the early game you need to focus on getting through that first era and teching up your little band of survivors. once you hit the 'classical' era you can start to dream of empire!

Turn 303: 3rd improvement bought, to be finished in 4 turns.
I have 7 cities, Tandy has 3, everybody else 1 (including the Barbarians; Numidian is population 1, unhappy, unhealthy and without defenders).
Arroyo (Tribes) is size 6, Navarro (Enclave) is size 30.
I am first again. Richardson is way out in front in tech, though. He just researched Pre-War Armour. Including pre-reqs, that would take me 30+ turns to get.

Turn 337: There's a Barb city right where I want to have one, only a) it's size 1 and can't grow, so I'll probably have to kill it rather than capture it as I'd like, except b) I have nothing that can either kill or capture cities and every such unit in my area of the F6 screen needs either Pre-War Tech or Advanced Munitions.
Resources visible in Worldbuilder: 0 of: Advanced Munitions, Big Horner, Pre-War Booze, Nuka-Cola, Combat Drugs, Jet, Books (BTW, why are you using a Bison unit model to represent Bighorn Sheep?), 1 of: Pre-War Tech (at Navarro, natch). So, basically, I need to capture Navarro so I can capture or destroy Ghuzz, but first I need to capture Navarro so I can capture Navarro.

[Eventually, I noticed Conquest, which would have let me take Ghuzz. Navarro not so much. Making a giant stack of Metal Armor units to defeat Combat Armor and Robots would have been nuts when I was out-expanding him peacefully.]

Turn 363: I can no longer build most units in my capitol. The previous turn it made 1 Town Guard but also more Settlers than it should have with the available production and then way more Workers than I had queued. I have 3 Town Guards lined up, but it doesn't build them. F10 shows no units at all but starts showing Settler, Worker and Immigrant after the turn. The other cities show a random selection of units - two of them list 8 units (not quite the same 8), one lists 24.
Turn 370: My capitol can build Executives again, so I make 5. Then I wonder why the production is low and finally look at the population. It's 0. So I think I've accidentally figured that one out.

Turn 391: My first combat of the game: I kill the Rad Spider in Ghuzz in the hopes the city will finally flip (it's been 97%+ Ghoul forever). And then I decide to quit - I've been growing so fast this session that my score is about everybody else's combined. Fixing that improvement backlog would be tedium incarnate.

Minor bug?: Crop Rotation lists TXT_KEY_BUILD_MODERN_FARM and two different Gardens.
Major bug: I had Raging Barbarians on and never saw anything but animals.

Last note: I found this more playable than the last time I tried it - it keeps getting better. Though being stuck for 250 turns and then let loose is a bit nerve-wracking. That said, I wish Pre-War Tech was spread around the map the way Stone and Copper are in regular Civ. I wish the Civs had even chances and, eventually, more variation. I wish the AIs were a little less timid about spreading out. I wish the Vault Civs were better at using their unit advantages. I wish the Barbs worked. And F3 :). I wish it keeps improving. Heh. I suppose you wish those too.

what size map are you on and can I have a save game of it? Also what are your game coditions, difficulty, map type, speed, etc.

Not sure why only two people expanded, especiallly the tribes. Town health can be a serious issue for some towns, with so much radioactiveterrain around it can stunt a towns growth..

Units cost population, so beware of unit bingeing, also better units require larger cities, so again beware.

Text bug, yeah I noticed the farm text a little while ago too, haven't fixed it yet.. will do.

Pre war tech is meant to be rare, eventually I will add some more buildings that can get you access to it in the late game. also if you are a non vault civ and have a town next to a vault you can improve the vault then you can get a building in town that gives you pre war tech. (I think it does..it should do anyway). I do al;so intend to eventually make some more features and such that can contan things like adv. munitions and prewar tech, like abandoned army bases and such.

I don't know why you don't have other resources available, the map should have like normal civ..

The big Horner is not a Big horn sheep, it is a Big Horner, a giant mutated sheep from F:NV, if you see it, it pretty much looks like a bison but with curly instead of straight horns.

'Conquest' is a mechanic I decided on really early, basically I knew that some factions (like Vault Factions) were going to pull far ahead early on, and could potentially wipe out everyone without opposition. OS I need a way to give everyone a chance to develop so that wars were not one sided. So conquest represents the moment a faction has the resources and logistics to successfully occupy a town and absorb it into it's empire. That's why it unlocks the units that can conquer.

Barb Bug: I introduced a bit of code from the forums early on that is supposed to let animals and barbs spawn at the same time (instead of animals disappearing) because we always want rad scorps and deathclaws roaming the wastes, this doesn't appear to be working properly though.. I will have to compare it to the original line, if all else fails I will just have to remove it.. and maybe make some 'non-animal animal barbs' to replace, but anyway..

My goal from day one was to make something more than just 'civ with a fallout paint job' I wanted to make a fallout strategy game using the civ engine. Massively changing everything takes time and testing though. (especially when you are crap like me and break everything!)
I am glad that generally speaking people ay of new releases 'it is getting better' that is the goal after all, I can only work in increments, and I need peoples help to test and report back how everything is connecting.

Every release it gets a step closer top what is in my head.

Map: I remember my settings:
Noble difficulty*, Fractal map**, Standard size/speed/settings.
Raging Bs, No Brokering, New Seed***, No Villages, Multiple Production.
*Easier than usual. **Pangaean, ~1/3 land. ***For extortion demands.

I could copy save games from a new game if you like. Let me know if there is something in particular you'd like reports on. And I should put them in another thread; I seem to have wandered away from bug reports.

Expansion: NCR (tied with Enclave) & Tribes (last) had 4 cities when I quit. NCR had a great start (3 Paradise cities), Tribes a poor one.

Radioactive terrain: some of the FfH modmods turn starting sites' jungle to forest; you might copy that for Rad Waste and Radiation.

"Units cost population" - yeah, I knew that, and I would have been good if the multi-prod hadn't given me 5? Settlers and 8 Workers (6 unordered) all in one turn. And then I managed not to see the population for 10 turns. :hammer2:

Pre-War Tech: It seems to me that you have many units that require this - and buildings that benefit - well before Prospecting. In my game, those were two big advantages to one lucky Civ. I'm guessing they had the equivalent of Axes, Swords, and two Forge upgrades that other Civs didn't.

Big Horners: I looked up some pics - gray-brown wooly on the sides, a bit of hairless/pig on the top and front and so unbalanced they must sleep standing on their heads. Looks bighorn-derived to me, but I can see how they're bison-looking to people who start out thinking bison.

Conquest: "so that wars were not one sided." Don't Civs with an existing advantage (e.g., lucky Pre-War Tech or Advanced Munitions from a Vault) get an even bigger one when they can attack your cities too? OTOH, if you are a warmonger and they've been concentrating on development...

Fallout strategy: Civ the game is just 4X with a paint job of history. IMO, it's the mods that make it worthwhile. And the ambitious mods are mostly the best ones, so you're in good company there.

Yeah put gameplay reports into the main thread.

Right now I am not looking for anything particular, beyond just general gameplay data, is the AI being completely out paced, are the numbers for things too big, too small, etc. etc.

Right now it is all about finding what math needs redressing, what is working and what is not.

Map script is something that still needs a lot of work, right now I am firmly in the make do camp, I need someone who can really help me code in what I need from a map script, especially starting location stuff.

Advantages: There is still a long way for me to go till the issue of advantage, faction diversity, and balance are where I want them, but already 'high-end' units require a much higher population size to be buildable, which limits the numbers that can be produced compared to other units. Admittedly I have only done a quick pass so far and I want to do much, much more, but one step at a time!
Also I want to increase the diversity of resources even more, but i have some large steps that need taking before this can happen.

Art: Bottom line, if you want to make me better and custom art I will happily use it, otherwise... shh! :p

Most of the time I just question why I am even bothering to make this mod, I am no coder, and generally the more i do the more I break things, it got fun for a while when I had a larger active team roster, as I could focus more on designing and developing concepts and game content, then have better people implementing it! :D

But we soldier on!

Ok so I fixed the barb 'bug' I think, the problem was they don't spawn till there are a lot of cities, and because the start is different to normal civ it takes a while to get there, so I just changed the math so that they spawn when everyone has 1 city, so hopefully that has solved it, I ran a test and had some humans around at turrn 100 (dunno exactly when they arrived)

when I release it people will ahve to let me know if it has the desired brutality effect!

The Python exception is back and the hotfix is gone:

Last edited by isenchine; May 28, 2014 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Removed obsolete attachment

I'll just turn off Python this time, but you might want to merge that hotfix - or better yet, fix the cause.

Hi,
I can't load the game. After loading the game is "waiting for other Civilizations" all the time.
It happens all the time... I can't find solution on the forum here...

hmmm...

You definately have the alpha 4 version of the mod from moddb

Can you go to this file:

C:\Users\John\Documents\my games\Beyond the Sword\CivilizationIV.ini

and change this line to this.

; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
HidePythonExceptions = 0

Also can you tell me what game setting you use when selecting your game.

I don't think I have ever experienced this bug from Alpha4

If all else fails, we will be releasing a new version soon (hopefully)

Top Bottom