Fastest Domination Victory

Thank you. Here's the save then (requires all DLCs).

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    452.6 KB · Views: 180
I have just started looking at this thread, and I wondered if any of the contributors would be willing to explain tactics for city attack. It is the part of the game where I always fall down, and I don't quite know what to do to improve. It always takes me an age to capture a city. In my games they always seem to be surrounded by hills and forests! (And that is with setting to 5 billion years.) Any thoughts would be very welcome.

When you're attacking, you always get the first move on the AI, so it's important to capitalize on that. Before declaring war, you can wait a couple of turns and try to catch AIs' military units out of position. Sometimes they move a garrisoned unit out of the city, or they place a unit or two somewhere you can one-turn kill them, or they just move a lot of their units away from their cities for whatever reason (which is why bribing 5-10 turns before you DoW can be so good).

If you catch an AI off guard, you can take their cities before they really have the time to react. The AI could ask you about units on their borders, but in a DomV I don't think it matters too much if you lie to them - eventually the whole world is going to hate you anyway.

Try to capture a worker on the first turn of the war as well, workers make tough capitals easier to capture with all the unit baiting and pillage-repairing you can do.

Suicide tactics can be useful too, for example you might have a scout that you don't really need anymore. Bring him in and maybe ZOC some unit, or just have the scout act as arrow bait or a distraction somewhere away from the main fight. The more enemy units you can draw away from the city you're attacking, the better. Allying city-states next to the AI you're fighting is great for this too.

Some cities are just really hard to take though. Either you brute-force them by bringing so many units that you don't care about losing a bunch, or you wait until you have some clear advantage, like superior tech, or several GGs to citadel-bomb your way in, or maybe a lot of very experienced units with logistics/range.

Capture and/or bring workers to bait their units and pillage/repair.
Cut off their roads, another good use of scout sacrifice.
If necessary, be willing to lose a small # of units to capture the city ASAP, as you can end up losing a larger number of units over a lengthy battle that allows them to bring in reinforcements, get new unit to garrison, complete walls/castle, etc.

Thank you to both @vadalaz and @Blatc. That is very useful. I wondered if there was something essential that I was missing, but it seems like I am just very bad at playing this game -- which I already knew, but useful to have it confirmed :)

Top Bottom