Favourite Youtubers?

The Islander

Chieftain
I'm a big fan of Filthy Robot, he has helped me improve my game massively! Does anybody have any recommendations for you tubers that have really helped them?

Filthy is a multi player, of course, so his videos are aimed at that, whereas most players here seem to be single. If you are interested in single, Acken is one of the best (appears on yt as rezoacken). Peddroelm is amazing and very entertaining, though he often plays Honor, which is unconventional.

Funnily enough, one of the first vids I found was of marbozir and filthy robot discussing single vs multi player!

Never watch videos from people who think they are bigger than what they are playing. Anyone who is playing a game that shows their mugs is out straight away. Firstly it is really annoying as it takes up space of what they are showing. Secondly it is damn annoying & distracting you from what is being shown & said. There is no need to show yourself in a gameplay, & the only reason they do it is to point at themselves. Look at me. I can understand if it is a review or discussion about something, & even in the beginning of a video, but not when something is being played. I know I am not alone with this view either. For most games there are a lot of great lets-players who clearly enjoy what they are playing, talk & come across well. Not shows off, who think they are the centre of the attraction. People like Skye Storme are great.

I don't think Skye Storme has posted any Civ5 videos. At least, I couldn't find any.

On a wider point, something that annoys one person may go unnoticed by another. We should always be aware of the False Consensus Effect. Granted, the OP was asking for opinions, but ... Filthy leaves his face in view, but his content -- his analysis and reasoning -- is pretty good, in my opinion, and usually presented in an organised way. Acken is usually good at presenting his reasoning, so you know why he is making certain decisions, and peddroelm is also good at explaining his reasons for his actions.

Civ5 is a decision-making game, so it is most useful, in my view, to watch videos in which the choices are analysed and the reasons for them are explained. It helps if they are also entertaining, of course!

I don't think Skye Storme has posted any Civ5 videos. At least, I couldn't find any.

On a wider point, something that annoys one person may go unnoticed by another. We should always be aware of the False Consensus Effect. Granted, the OP was asking for opinions, but ... Filthy leaves his face in view, but his content -- his analysis and reasoning -- is pretty good, in my opinion, and usually presented in an organised way. Acken is usually good at presenting his reasoning, so you know why he is making certain decisions, and peddroelm is also good at explaining his reasons for his actions.

Civ5 is a decision-making game, so it is most useful, in my view, to watch videos in which the choices are analysed and the reasons for them are explained. It helps if they are also entertaining, of course!

I think you might be right about Skye Storme not posting any plays on Civ 5, but I was thinking generally as a player, he is very good at what he does. Not a great player, but interesting & you learn things.

I am not disputing many of these people are not good players, or put forwards some good debate & analysis to the table. In my opinion it is annoying when they parade themselves on the screen, no need for it, & the only reason I can conclude why they do it, is they want to show themselves off. There is more to a good lets-player than just how well they play & analysis something, & I look more for interesting, entertaining & enthusiastic approach. That is my opinion I know, & others see it differently. As you say I was only giving an opinion, as you & others are, &everyone likes different approaches.

Procitizen

He was the one that introduced me to playing Deity while going Honor. A couple of years of ago that was something that really stood out for me, as I among many thought you had to go Tradition on Deity. If there were such thing as blasphemy in Civilization he would have been called the biggest heretic of them all. Going Honor FIRST and uses Catapults? What is going on here? That kind of play pretty much woke me up from my tiny little box. Also when he casually slaughtered the AI while talking trash. He doesn't upload often nor consistently, but he sure is my favorite anyways. He doesn't feel forced at all. He never seems to have a plan on when to hit a certain tech or what policy to go. He just plays and goes with the flow which is highly enjoyable. If he feels like Honor, he goes Honor. If he wants to mix it up with Piety and some Honor what difference does it make? He will beat the crap out of the AI anyways. He can go Catapults which I know for a fact that most people will say it's a terrible idea. Still he makes it work and it's peanuts for him.

I gotta respect that kind of mindset.

I believe he can have a big audience if he just started to put some serious effort into his Youtube channel. It's a shame that he only got 477 subscribers with that kind of skill set.

Procitizen

He was the one that introduced me to playing Deity while going Honor. A couple of years of ago that was something that really stood out for me, as I among many thought you had to go Tradition on Deity. If there were such thing as blasphemy in Civilization he would have been called the biggest heretic of them all. Going Honor FIRST and uses Catapults? What is going on here? That kind of play pretty much woke me up from my tiny little box. Also when he casually slaughtered the AI while talking trash. He doesn't upload often nor consistently, but he sure is my favorite anyways. He doesn't feel forced at all. He never seems to have a plan on when to hit a certain tech or what policy to go. He just plays and goes with the flow which is highly enjoyable. If he feels like Honor, he goes Honor. If he wants to mix it up with Piety and some Honor what difference does it make? He will beat the crap out of the AI anyways. He can go Catapults which I know for a fact that most people will say it's a terrible idea. Still he makes it work and it's peanuts for him.

I gotta respect that kind of mindset.

I believe he can have a big audience if he just started to put some serious effort into his Youtube channel. It's a shame that he only got 477 subscribers with that kind of skill set.

I hate to break it to you, but you've been had. This guy is just a super dedicated and patient troll. He even admitted it himself. I may be assuming to much but I think his entire goal in doing this was to make light of how much of a joke the deity AI was by doing completely nonsensical things and still winning handily. Getting a bit off-topic but for this reason and more I think IV is better...

Anyways, for an actually competent player I recommend FilthyRobot. He explains everything in-depth and usually dominates both SP and MP games.

I hate to break it to you, but you've been had. This guy is just a super dedicated and patient troll. He even admitted it himself. I may be assuming to much but I think his entire goal in doing this was to make light of how much of a joke the deity AI was by doing completely nonsensical things and still winning handily. Getting a bit off-topic but for this reason and more I think IV is better...

Anyways, for an actually competent player I recommend FilthyRobot. He explains everything in-depth and usually dominates both SP and MP games.

No worries. He still helped me improve my game a lot. I believe I wound't have been a Deity player if it wasn't for him. Yes, I know that he's way is not the optimal way to do it. So in a sense he is a "troll", but he is a great player in my eyes. If he wasn't a good player he wound't be able to play the way he does and get away with it.

Yes, I agree with you. FilthyRobot is a fantastic player. He has taught me a lot as well.

Last edited:
My top three have already been mentioned but I'll also give my opinion on them.

1. Acken aka RezoAcken: in my opinion the solidest player I've seen playing this game and the Godfather of civ5. His game understanding and decision making are top notch. He explains his moves but even when he doesn't, you still learn a lot by his plays. He pulls of culture victories against deity like it's a piece of cake and his domination capabilities are second to none.
The only downside is that he hasn't uploaded a new video for years.

Favourite youtube series: His China Domination game where he just demolishes the ai with CB/Chu-ko-nu.

2. Peddroelm: Also one of my favourites even though he only focuses on domination games mostly with honor. He also hast strong decision making and he will explain his tactics and strategies beforehand and surprisingly it will also happen just as he planned most of the time. Unfortunately he also seems to have lost interest in civ for now.

Favourite youtube series: His Dutch domination game where starts in a crappy jungle starting location yet still plays on

3. Procitizen: It's already been mentioned that he's a troll but it shouldn't stop you from watching his plays. He will often times make irrational decisions but still win. He represents the "I dont care what I do cause I'm still gonna win" attitude". Lots of self-boasting and trolling comments are to be expected.

Favoutite youtube series: Mongol Domination where he doesnt pick a single social policy.

drew is the best imo.he's a funny guy and his interactions with the ai leaders feel personal.he also has much longer series as arabia rome japan venice on tsl these are all great.

Well, I enjoy most Civ 5 series (both SP and MP). If I think about the quality and strength of play, Acken and Filthyrobot are fantastic and thus among my favourites. I have also watched most of Marbozir´s Civ 5 games and he is quite strong when it comes to late game wars and I have definitely picked up a trick or two from those videos. In the NQ group there are of course many really strong players and for example, I have watched some of Babayetu´s games. He has a lot of variation in his play, which I definitely like. I agree that Peddroelm is very skilled but the voice/sound quality is unfortunately not always the best.

Top Bottom