[Feature] Additional Wonders

What the point of adding Panama and Suez Canals as wonders anyway? Especially considering tying to specific tiles. You just can found a city in those places, and you get your canals. If something, it should be added as tile improvement, which can be build by workers for some big amount of turns after some late tech, and only need for this is because both Panama and Suez are bad city placements.
I think Panama and Suez (maybe call it 'Port Said') should just be hardcoded to be built automatically as cities if they aren't already built by their respective dates. It's simple; it's easy; it doesn't require the AI to understand intricate fort-building; and it solves all controversy and debate.

What the point of adding Panama and Suez Canals as wonders anyway? Especially considering tying to specific tiles. You just can found a city in those places, and you get your canals. If something, it should be added as tile improvement, which can be build by workers for some big amount of turns after some late tech, and only need for this is because both Panama and Suez are bad city placements.
I'd say the point is that they're both incredibly impressive achievements of engineering on par with other wonders, and they were built long after their respective regions were settled, with immediate world-changing effects.

My take though is that they could be tied to the potential natural wonder mechanic, where having things on specific tiles is part of the point.

Well I think the Panama and Suez canals could still remain as building wonders because technically the feature whereby cities built on an isthmus function as a canal might not technically be a canal but more like a place whereby boats are hauled up then transported by a rail or wagon system to the other waterway similar to what ancient Greece did or how earlier people would do the wagon thing and cross the jungle to the other side in Panama before the canal was built.

Now the difference in game is that building these canals would then create a massive commerce, or production boost, or increased trade route number/yield (because you'd be skipping all the jungle diseases or tiring out hauling the boats over land like the old ways) but would still only be able to be constructed in cities which already are on an isthmus (a simple north south/ east west water detector can then be created to allow the game to then know if the city is on an isthmus)

Ultimately it's not terribly important but it could be nice to have these tiles given a commerce bonus to simulate their economic importance. An improvement would make sense, or maybe some sort of commerce bonus to Forts and cities on these tiles.

In my opinion the Panama and Suez canals should give commercial bonuses, while at the same time enabling the exact spots on the map of the Suez canal and Panama canal to be accessed by ship, maybe even a special canal animation at those tiles.
It is hard scripted, but a wonder that is a canal is kind of already hard scripted, isn't it?
Like a natural wonder.
Theres a reason why the Panama canal is not in Alaska, a geographical one, and thus I would consider it logical even in a world in which history took a different route (the whole point of the mode, affecting history).
The commercial bonuses would act like a company, show that you own the canal and get profit for digging and initiating it even if you're a far away civilization, and would enable movement of naval units.
Just my Idea

Most canals are currently activated by placing forts + having cultural borders at that point. AI naturally tries to keep 'improving' the tile.
I might suggest that placing a fort on canal tiles gives a big boost to the tile's productivity, and perhaps add some AI weight to putting the fort. That way, canals would be built by AI and players, and it would have a nice (albeit small and localized) benefit.

Cool idea but would that be useful for the Maya?
Hi, a bit old post but I've found it as I was researching about the temple of kukulkan. Yes, it would immensely benefit the Mayans as the majority of their cities have no access to fresh water. Usually, players found the capital 1 tile north of the starting location so we could reach the claim resource and have better science, which leaves the capital with no fresh water. In addition, other spots where we normally settle are 1 tile south to the silver and the Caribbean islands, which also have no access to fresh water. Moreover, the temple is normally built outside of the capital as it is a bit hammer intensive, which means it currently provides no benefit to the city that built it (usually with no rainforest).

Another idea is to extend its current benefit to all rainforest tiles of your empire (as opposed to only its city) and maybe add +1 commerce as well which could help achieving the 3rd uhv goal which can only be achieved by cheesing nowadays. That would also help the incans if one could capture it in the 600ad scenario. This change still would not make this wonder op imo, as only the amerindians could benefit from it since the wonder gets obsolete fairly quickly (the Europeans would find it obsolete by the time they reach the Americas).

The Persians, the Turks and the Mongols (along with the Kushans in the future) are all present in Central Asia, and have quick and impressive territory goals. What about an early Central Asian wonder that would require Silk Route and does something to help with those, like "all cities start with more culture", "additional healing whenever a Great General appears" or "other civilizations are more willing to vassalize"?

Problem is I'm not sure what to pick. Ideally it would be something from around or before 600 AD (so that the Mongol player on the 600 AD map know where to find it), but that excludes more iconic islamic architecture, and most examples of pre-islamic architecture are listed as archeological sites of cities. I think something like the Paintings of the Ambassadors (Afrasiab, 7th century) could work even if it's not strictly a monument, or if we're willing to be more flexible with the location, maybe something in Iran or the Middle-East for a possible Achaemenid/Sassanid/Parthian/other wonder.

Top Bottom