Feature Requests and Discussion

Could you allow a python call to be triggered when a promotion is promotion is applied?

(I'd like to be able let units the purchase the Pilgrim promotion in my modmod to get the same free promotions as I give units that start with it in their xml defines.)

------
Edit:

I have decided to make my Dragon Fanatics have <bAlwaysHostile>1 in the next release of my modmod. I discovered that this lets them kill rival units without war outside of cities, but does not prevent them from peacefully entering rival cities to spread their religion. This is just the way I wanted them to work.

However, I also just discovered that units with <bAlwaysHostile>1 are able to capture Super Forts without war. That probably should not be allowed to happen.

Edit2: I just discovered a much bigger problem with the bAlwaysHostile tag. When a rival unit with that tag is in one of your cities, it blocks your own units from entering the city. Your units can be built or summoned there just fine, but not moved from an adjacent tile or airlifted to reinforce the city. They are not allowed to attack the bAlwaysHostile unit in a city, but also cannot move into the same tile as the bAlwaysHostile unit. bHiddenNationaltiy units can be used to kill such bAlwaysHostile units, but regular unis cannot and neither can other bAlwaysHostile units under your own control. If you don't have an HN unit handy, you have to declare war on the units owner before your units are allowed to enter your own city.

-------

I think it would be nice if units could Airlift to super forts the way than can airlift to cities.

I would just enjoy water maps more if it was less logistics. Faster boats would allow for that. To me it would be alot of fun if boats are three times as fast.

could the "some civs always found some religions in their capitol" behaviour be changed back to normal? the new behaviour doesn't really add anything to the gameplay.

otoh, HC selection code should probably be tweaked a bit to decrease the chance in cities that are HCs already. it's too easy to found multiple religions in the biggest non-capitol city otherwise, which is bad both for gameplay and flavour.

[to_xp]Gekko;12160150 said:
could the "some civs always found some religions in their capitol" behaviour be changed back to normal? the new behaviour doesn't really add anything to the gameplay.

otoh, HC selection code should probably be tweaked a bit to decrease the chance in cities that are HCs already. it's too easy to found multiple religions in the biggest non-capitol city otherwise, which is bad both for gameplay and flavour.

The code that makes a religion be founded in the capital city if it is the leader's favorite religion is not at all Tholal's doing. Kael added it to base FfH2 a long time ago, but it was rarely noticed because Kael forgot to put anything under <FavoriteReligion> for any leader in CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml.

If you don't like the behavior, you don't need Tholal to change it. You can easily either remove everything under that tag or change the python code under def onTechAcquired(self, argsList):.

The location where a religion is founded when it is not placed in the capital (or founded by a disciple rescued from a lair) is determined in the dll, so Tholal would have to address that.

The code that makes a religion be founded in the capital city if it is the leader's favorite religion is not at all Tholal's doing. Kael added it to base FfH2 a long time ago, but it was rarely noticed because Kael forgot to put anything under <FavoriteReligion> for any leader in CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml.

I think it is by design Kael did not implement it. Getting a free missionary with each religious tech solves it.

I just noticed that (in my modmod) it seems possible for the AI to use a spell that upgrades a unit (at least if it upgrades the unit in python using newUnit.convert(pCaster) ) and then also upgrade the adventurer the old fashioned way before newUnit.convert(pCaster) can kill pCaster. (This is allowing the AI to duplicate their Adventurers.)

(The various SPELL_UPGRADE_ADVENTURER____ abilities my modmod adds converts the unit through python instead of XML because I did not want the adventurers rescued from dungeons or spawned with rebels to upgrade to Grgori UUs instead of units of their owner's civ.)

I wouldn't have any need to include the problematic abilities at all if you went ahead and made it possible for certain units to upgrade outside of borders as I previously requested.

I think you misinterpreted what I actually wanted when I made this request (probably because I expressed it poorly). You wrote it down as "Add a <bUpgradeOutsideBorders> tag to UnitInfos - ID: 3597357." That would be sufficient to allow Angels and the Doviello melee UUs upgrade outside of borders without needing a spell, which I would like to do; however, I had been mostly thinking about Adventurers, including those who had already been upgraded to something but could still upgrade further along that line. That would be better handled by a tag for promotions than for units, but I was actually thinking about python rather than any new xml tag.

I thought that the existing def canUpgradeAnywhere(self, argsList): function in CvGameUtils.py did want I wanted, but when I tried it it did not seem to do anything. Has it been disabled?

Re: Civ Traits for Clan, Illians and Khazad

If I set these civs to have a civtrait (Barbarian, Agnostic and Ingenuity respectively), should I remove those traits from the leaders for those civs?

yes, Sheelba/Jonas should lose BAR, kandros/arthurus lose ING and Auric lose AGN. since they'll still have them when playing their intended civ it's not required anymore, while it makes them also balanced for unrestricted leaders games :)

I have ported to MNAI one of the parts of the CivPlotMods modcomp, present in Rise from Erebus and other modmods. To my knowledge it was created by Jean Elcard and Xienwolf, and I adapted the version present in Rise from Erebus so it was probably also updated and modified by them.

This modcomp removes the CivilizationYieldType, CivilizationYieldChange and sections CivilizationYieldRiverChange from CIV4TerrainInfos.xml. Civilization specific changes to yields in certain terrains are now stored in CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml, stored in the following format (TerrainRiverYields is optional):
Code:
	<MaintainFeatures>
	</MaintainFeatures>
	<TerrainYieldChanges>
		<TerrainYieldChange>
			<TerrainType>TERRAIN_SNOW</TerrainType>
			<TerrainYields>
				<iYield>2</iYield>
				<iYield>0</iYield>
				<iYield>0</iYield>
			</TerrainYields>
			<TerrainRiverYields>
				<iYield>0</iYield>
				<iYield>0</iYield>
				<iYield>1</iYield>
			</TerrainRiverYields>
		</TerrainYieldChange>
	</TerrainYieldChanges>
</CivilizationInfo>

This modification in the format allows to define multiple terrain yield changes for the same civilization, and a single terrain with multiple yield changes for different civilizations. Since the terrain yield changes for Malakim and Illians have been ported to the new format, More Naval AI behavior remains unchanged, but this addition opens up the door for modders to modify terrain yields for each civilization in any way they want. As an extra that came up with the modcomp, the civilopedia now shows the terrain yield changes for each civilization at each terrain type (see screenshot). I also updated the (currently unused) civilization traits section in the Sevopedia to show the terrain yield changes with the new methods.

All modified files (created against r1308) have been attached to this post. I hope that you consider its inclusion :)

EDIT: Attachment removed.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 76
I proposed this in the RifE forums a while back, but RifE's not being developed any more (at least not by Valkrionn and the original team), so proposing it here instead.

I think it might be a nice idea to have separate counters (i.e., separate from the regular event counter) for the events where the Overcouncil and Undercouncil offer support to your empire. It would help make membership of the councils somewhat more significant than it is now.

Also, if you were to implement this, I would suggest that the Overcouncil's support be more frequent than that of the Undercouncil. Many of the Overcouncil's resolutions are ones that limit you, e.g., by outlawing the use of certain kinds of mana. By contrast, the Undercouncil gets you Smuggler's Ports, Slaves, and cheaper Gambling Houses. So having more frequent support from the Overcouncil would help balance that, I think.

I think it might be a nice idea to have separate counters (i.e., separate from the regular event counter) for the events where the Overcouncil and Undercouncil offer support to your empire. It would help make membership of the councils somewhat more significant than it is now.

Also, if you were to implement this, I would suggest that the Overcouncil's support be more frequent than that of the Undercouncil. Many of the Overcouncil's resolutions are ones that limit you, e.g., by outlawing the use of certain kinds of mana. By contrast, the Undercouncil gets you Smuggler's Ports, Slaves, and cheaper Gambling Houses. So having more frequent support from the Overcouncil would help balance that, I think.

Interesting. I doubt that Tholal considers this to be in the scope of his mod, but I think I'll give it a try in the next release of the MoreEvents modcomp (it's certainly not hard to implement). What frequency are you thinking about?

Interesting. I doubt that Tholal considers this to be in the scope of his mod, but I think I'll give it a try in the next release of the MoreEvents modcomp (it's certainly not hard to implement). What frequency are you thinking about?

My thought was that it was a relatively minor change, so perhaps Tholal might be open to it, but I'd understand it if he weren't.

I didn't think it would be difficult to program, as I remember that RifE has a separate counter for elections that lead to new traits if you've adopted the Republic civic.

I'm not entirely sure what a sensible frequency might be. When I first proposed this in the RifE forums I suggested every 40 turns for the Undercouncil and 20 turns for the Overcouncil (on Normal speed), but that might be too often. Maybe 50 turns for the Undercouncil and 25 (or 30) turns for the Overcouncil?

Alternatively, one could make it a percentage chance each turn, maybe 2.5% for the Undercouncil and 5% for the Overcouncil. In that case I would suggest that the percentage chance be cumulative, so that you'd be certain of council support eventually.

I think I prefer the straight counter over the percentage chance, but as you're the modder, it's your call, I don't have a strong preference, just trying to make sure it's balanced.

Tholal: If I remember correctly you were interested in Mushrooms and Penguins as resources. I have prepared a modcomp that includes both of these resources in More Naval AI. Both are rare resources that are highly unlikely to appear at map generation. The Mushroom bonus can appear randomly after building mines or as a product of an event. Penguins can only appear by event. Both of these resources can also appear via the Wonder spell. Mushrooms require a mine to be used and they give additional health with a Granary. Penguins give happiness, and they provide additional happiness with Hunting lodges.

Since I had to alter the font files anyways, I also added a Nightmare font icon so that they do not have to use the Horse font icon anymore. The original mushroom/penguin improvements have not been removed because they are still used in scenarios.

Mushroom and Nightmare font icons come from Rise from Erebus. The Penguin font icon was created by Larry Ewing. The Mushroom bonus has been adapted from Rise from Erebus, while the Penguin bonus has been adapted from MagisterModmod.

Attachments

• bonuses.zip
    359.5 KB · Views: 64
Tholal: If I remember correctly you were interested in Mushrooms and Penguins as resources.

Actually, I was interested in making sure that the graphics for mushrooms appeared correctly (bug #3528122) and adding graphics for the turtle event (bug #3528123) and the parrot event as well (bug #3531235). I think that the Penguin graphic shows up properly already.

Thanks for the code though! Not sure that I'll end up using it but I will probably look through it just to see. Oh, and I guess I can use the Nightmare icon.

Oh, I misremembered then :)

This code does not modify or improve Mushroom graphics so it should not help you with that. Maybe RifE also has improved game graphics for the Mushrooms, but I don't know for sure. Penguin graphics appear incorrectly in the Civilopedia when I set them as bonuses. Maybe Penguins appear wrong on plains but correctly on ice? If that's the case, it could be possible to make them appear incorrectly ingame if Wonder makes penguins appear on plains.

I can prepare font and art files with only the Nightmare icon if you want.

Top Bottom