FfH2: Source Code

Kael

Deity
Several people have requested the source code for FfH. Either so they can build on it, make their own modification or just to see what is going on beneath the scenes.

Anyone is welcome to use this to make their own changes to FfH or to pull out ideas or modification to their own mod. I just ask that you credit those who wrote the section you use (Talchas for any of the spell system features, otherwise the person who made the change should be commented in with the change).

There is a documentation directory beneath the root which contains all of the changlelogs. As always the documentation could be better, but I think you will find that it is decent.

I offer no support on this, if you use it and have problems I may or may not be able to help you based on how much time I have.

Personally I would highly encourge modmakers to use this as a base for their mods. Its easy enough to backout changes you dont like (we always keep the origional lines in and commented out in the source code). Also Talchas's spell system opens up so many possibilities that I really coudln't imagine modding without it.

Download here: CvGameCoreDLL023c.zip (updated 07/24/2007)

MrUnderhill said:
Thanks, Kael! Now I'm going to have to take a week off to decipher it all.
I'm going to start by making some small adjustments to the promotions system, mostly to extend the "vs. Promotion" bonuses.

EDIT: Shouldn't this be a sticky?

Am going to investigate the same thing.... let me know anything interesting you do.....

yay, finally i can answer the question, what happens when you combine Rogerbacons Flying mod with FFH? :D

*sigh* I just compiled and tested the FfH SDK with XMLoader attached. It compiled fine for the most part, but when I try to use it, the game just quits silently when it tries to load XML files. No errors, no stack dump, nothing; it just quits and can't be found in Task Manager.

Does anyone have an idea what went wrong?

Quetz said:
yay, finally i can answer the question, what happens when you combine Rogerbacons Flying mod with FFH? :D

I actually wrote the process on creating multi-domain units (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=167041) on the day the SDK released. About 6 weeks later Roger Bacon released essentially thing as a modpack and called it the flying mod. Either way its the same thing (allowing a unit to cross land and water).

I certainly dont mind that there is a modpack that does the same thing as I documented (though I believe Roger developed his independantly, which is unfortunate because I could have saved him some time). But Im always surprised at how many people recommend I incorporate the flying mod, we were the first mod to have flying. We just call it water walking because in my mind "flying" has a lot more utility than just being able to cross land and water tiles.

Darn you and your all-knowing ways, Kael.

But there are two reasons I wanted 'Bacons mod. For one thing, I wanted to play with making Fireballs, Meteors, and possibly some summoned units interceptable just for fun (via some kind of magical drone-type unit, gaurdian creature, or whatever.) It doesn't work out with Domain_Air, so wanted to see if I could modify the Intercept mission to pick up on Flying units.

Also, RogerBacon's mod also includes Dale's Combat mod, and I really want ranged bombardment on my ships - or at least the high-tech ones - as IMO it makes having a navy 10x more interesting. And like I said before (I think) what good is it to have pirates if they can't broadside?? :)

edit: Also, I came across a possibly-servicable Wyvern Rider model (just needs converted) that I might try to mod into the cavalry line for an evil civ or two, and I'd much rather use Flying than Domain_Air for it, heh.

Bonus points to anyone who can tell me why pressing the religion button from the globe view CTD's the game. I havent spent hours on that one without being able to come up with anything.

A question about mods for the mod:

I'm near completion of a mod that will allow founding of religion based on the first player to build a specific building (see "runner up prize.." thread) and I've used the source from FFH, since I never even play vanilla anymore. What I was wondering is what do you think of mods for the mod? Should they be put in this forum, maybe create a sticky at the top if there's to be a few of them or do you want it in the regular creation/customization forum?

DieselBiscuit said:

I'm near completion of a mod that will allow founding of religion based on the first player to build a specific building (see "runner up prize.." thread) and I've used the source from FFH, since I never even play vanilla anymore. What I was wondering is what do you think of mods for the mod? Should they be put in this forum, maybe create a sticky at the top if there's to be a few of them or do you want it in the regular creation/customization forum?

Whichever the author would prefer is fine with me. You are more than welcome to create a thread here, in the creation and customization forum, or both. Instead of a sticky here I would prefer to add a link to the main thread for it (like the scenarios are linked now).

If it were me doing it I would create a threads in both places and have it listed in the download section.

DieselBiscuit said:

I've already made one for it... seach my name or mini-mods or look in my sig. I think the link is fall from heaven submods.

Kael said:
Whichever the author would prefer is fine with me. You are more than welcome to create a thread here, in the creation and customization forum, or both. Instead of a sticky here I would prefer to add a link to the main thread for it (like the scenarios are linked now).

If it were me doing it I would create a threads in both places and have it listed in the download section.

Great stuff and thanks for the quick reply! Now just to get the AI to build those temples fast enough :crazyeye:

Civkid1991 said:
I've already made one for it... seach my name or mini-mods or look in my sig. I think the link is fall from heaven submods.

Found it. Thanks a bunch for the link! I'll be posting my stuff in a day or two.

I've already had the sourcecode since 1.15, but it's great that you finally share the code with everyone (I guess that sometimes, all you need to do is ask). This will possibly spawn in many great mods with this as a foundation. Doesnt have to be an addition to FfH, even if most mods based on this code will be. It could be new mods based on the spell system for instance, like my cIVRPG, or my Interstellar Colonization that will probably use the spell code to give ships and other units abilities.

If it werent for you (and Talchas, Chalid) and all the other great programmers that share with their code out there, we would see alot less innovation in the Civ4 mods. Many people want to mod but dont know where to start, a very good way to start is by reverse engineering. With only some basic skills you can do alot of stuff by copying existing code and applying it the way you want it to work. (This goes for Firaxis code aswell).

So I want to again thank you for sharing this with us!

Top Bottom