Final answer from 2k games about the release of Civilization III source code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steph

Multi Many Tasks man
Retired Moderator
During the last 9 months, I've had email exchange with a representative of 2k games about the release of the source code.

They were not initially interested, but after I explained the idea, we started to get a little interest.

With a small team of modders, we prepared a draft proposal, and we send it to 2k games.

The idea was that the source code would be release to a small group of modders, who would use it to fix the bugs, and expand a little the game.

It took a lot of time and email to try to move forward. I really hoped that something could be done at some point, hence I started my new expanded editor, hoping it could be expanded even further later with the release of the source code.

But this week, I got their final answer...

THEY WILL NEVER RELEASE ANY SOURCE CODE TO ANYONE.

I wasn't given any explanation of their decision, except the possibility of the release has been blocked by their legal departments.

So don't expect any change in Civilization III. We are stuck with the bugs and design flaws.

So, personnally:
- I will continue working on the expanded editor, but slower than I did in the past 3 months.
- When the editor is done, and Sandris has finished unit lines for all the civ ;), I may work again on my mod. For the moment, I'm not really in the mood, as I know I won't be able to do what I wanted.
- And more importantly, I will increase my work on my own game, where I can use all the units made here, and where I can make it work as I want.

Steph thank you for your efforts. I will draw a link to your post to the civ 2 forums ,that also try to get the source code.

So we know whose unfinished buggy products we should never pay again. :mad:

except the possibility of the release has been blocked by their legal departments.

Perhaps they stole the code from someone else, now they fear its come back to haunt them :mischief:

Thanks for your efforts, Steph. Tell them to say hi to all those secretaries I had to sleep with during my Source Code campaign some time ago.. :p

Thanks for your efforts Steph. I guess we can only hope for a Civ III Complete II. Otherwise I wonder why they are even holding on to the source code. :confused:

Well, thanks for trying.:) I desperately hoped for a CivIII with more than 5 culture groups. Oh well.

Just wondering... I don't know much about programming or source codes. Is the problem that you can't figure out the source code without Firaxis' help? Or that even if you could get the source code (via a program for example) that it is illegal for copyright reasons without Firaxis' approval?

Grandraem:
"Source code" is a term for all program files, written in whichever progamming language was used. These files are then converted by a program called a "Compiler" into the actual game program.
Source code files are readable by humans that are familiar with the progamming language used. The finished, compiled, program is entirely in binary language, readable only by the computer itself.
Determining how the program works, i.e. what the internal logic and rules are, is almost impossible without the original Source Code files.

I STILL maintain that they're embarrassed by how shoddy their work is ... :rolleyes:

I'm with you on that one!

Thanks for all the hard work Steph... I'll be more than happy to see SSS come out.

Hmmmmm.... I wonder how easy it will be to HEX edit C3C.exe.... I've done such with other games (X-wing, TIE Fighter, DooM) to get them to live up to their full potential, so why not Civ III....

Not much of a surprise, but thanks for trying, Steph.

BTW I've read about some middleware recently and as far as I know Civilization 3 & 4 used the Gamebryo engine (very $$$), which is likely the legal reason they cannot release the sourcecode even if they wanted to. Not that I believe they would otherwise (no money in it for them) but it's definitely an obstacle.

Thanks for answering my question, Madmax51.:)

Stormrage,
I was thinking the same thing when he posted that.:crazyeye:

To clarify, my proposal was not to release the source code, but to outsource a patch to a team of modders.

So there was no release of middleware involved. The source would not have been public

Pity .. but at least we have the potential of a decent game now with Steph going on with his own game.

Actually, the probability has been "No" for some time. While Steph has been pursuing his promising angle, I contacted a classmate who's on the Board of 2K.

His reply:

"Thanks for getting in touch. Always good to hear from a xxxxx alum.

For an array of technical reasons--most related to the age and complexity of the code--we can't do what you suggest. We've considered it before but it poses too many risks.

I'm glad you're a fanatic...hope you like the next one.

Best,

xxxx"

So it goes.

-Oz

Ah, yes, how diplomatic of him. :rolleyes:

You know, crap like this is why I'm liking Open Source software more and more all the time (especially THE Open Source software: Linux).... :mischief:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom