Firaxicon - why the hate for Canada?

Suzanne Fielding's speech I think implies the ARC allowed the United States to survive the Great Mistake, but they're two separate entities. Canada's fate, along with that of most countries, is anyone's guess.

No safe assumptions about any nation left unmentioned.

So i've said it afew times and ill say it again, it's heavily implied the "great mistake" hit the western world a LOT harder than Eurasia, so much so that the "american" goverment is gone, and ARC is not actually america but more or less the remnants of it.
it's a safe assumption canada suffered the same fate.

America isn't gone and the ARC isn't a government. Fielding says that the American Congress won't give approval to put the American flag on the spaceship. Ergo--

So i've said it afew times and ill say it again, it's heavily implied the "great mistake" hit the western world a LOT harder than Eurasia, so much so that the "american" goverment is gone, and ARC is not actually america but more or less the remnants of it.

Actually, IIRC, Fielding talked about dealing with the American government. If today's Congress serves as an example, the American government has gotten no more decisive 200+ years from now, and is probably still debating whether weather actually exists and if dinosaurs missed sailing on Noah's Arc. :crazyeye:

Germany, eastern europe, scandinavia and the middle east are also not included so it isn't personal. If this game is a success might their be an expansion with more factions.

Well I think Israel would be to ocontroversial politically, and may lead to the game being banned in strict Muslim countries. Unless they wanted the "joy" of destroying it game after game after game.

It's already banned there, so it wouldn't be that big a deal.

When one sports a painful scab, it does not take much to rub it raw...just sayin'

Ummm, painful scab of what, just being a Canadian?

Youtuber and Canadian quill18 is a favorite of mine, he does alot of Civ let's plays and he pokes fun at the USA.....I never find myself getting huffy about it. Did Canadian Madjinn get all bent out of shape?

Its been stated that the USA survived intact. (Although probably a lot weaker)

If Civ would be made by me, the only civs available would be the really early ones like the egypts and tribes like the suebs or celts and they would get the option to form kingdoms, empires and later nations with new names. Always hated it when you meet the USA or France, Germany and other modern nations in the classic age. Immersion problem for me. So I can definately unterstand how ex-colony countries are no top priority.

Error 404-Logic not found

Sid needs to get back to his roots, eh? Good 'ol Canadian boy. :king:

Not that he has much pull in the game's design these days. :sad:

Ummm, painful scab of what, just being a Canadian?

I don't know, but neither do you. Only OP does and he has his right to his feelings. But if you have never experienced some of the exclusion and derision that I have over my ancestry (and I suspect he has) then you will possibly be unable to identify with my comment, or OP's feelings. I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm only responding to what seems to be genuine bafflement in your reply.

This may be delayed depending on how buggy the internet where I am continues to be.

If that's the case, where on earth are you, anyway? No, wait, if you are out of touch, it can only mean you are somewhere near the Nation's Capitol. :lol:

Technically, don't Canada and Australia report to the Queen? I know that in all actuality, they operate as completely independent countries, but isn't the Queen still technically in charge of the constitutional monarchy you operate under? So, perhaps this would explain why Canada and Australia don't get the nod.

In general, the leaders for civilizations are chosen from the Chief Executives of said countries, and technically I believe this role still resides with the Queen...the Governor Central is not the top of the executive food chain, right?

Technically, don't Canada and Australia report to the Queen? I know that in all actuality, they operate as completely independent countries, but isn't the Queen still technically in charge of the constitutional monarchy you operate under? So, perhaps this would explain why Canada and Australia don't get the nod.

In general, the leaders for civilizations are chosen from the Chief Executives of said countries, and technically I believe this role still resides with the Queen...the Governor Central is not the top of the executive food chain, right?

I guess everything is far simpler than that.

Also, Bismarck, for instance, wasn't Germany's or Prussia's emperor.

If that's the case, where on earth are you, anyway? No, wait, if you are out of touch, it can only mean you are somewhere near the Nation's Capitol. :lol:

Yeah, I'm in DC at the moment. Wifi where I'm staying seems to like cutting in and out.

That wasn't the reason given by Ed at the panel, and it wouldn't be correct in any case. I don't want to go off-topic here, so if you'd like a fuller answer, feel free to PM me, but what you suggest isn't really technically correct. For Australia at least, the interpretation of references in the Constitution to the Queen, the Crown, or the Governor-General, is informed by convention, which states that those entities act in Council, or only on the advice of the Cabinet, led by the Prime Minister. :)

It's true that Ed didn't explain the exclusion of Australia and Canada to the same extent as he explained some of the other exclusions. I certainly wouldn't have thought this could be interpreted as some sort of insult towards Canada, which I suppose other people will be able to judge when the video comes out.

Remember too that Ed knew Canadians were in attendance (and in fact had just beaten one - MadDjinn - in the boardgame competition ;)). So an assumption that he intended to make a disparaging comment about Canada is an assumption of malice. Same applies to Australia and Australians, for that matter.

The panels were all recorded and should be released quite soon. The civ selection panel in particular was really interesting and relevant to Civfanatics. I'll post something about all the panels later this evening - I just left and am on my way to DC.

Did Ed Beach say what he's doing these days? :mischief:

Nope. :p

They're a disciplined lot, and had scrubbed the office whiteboards clean and hired security to make sure no-one wandered during the tour of Firaxis HQ. The only real indication of the future was an off-hand comment from Barry Caudill in his panel ('They Came From QA'), when he briefly noted that Firaxis is full up for the next few years (in terms of game plans). Which should be no startling revelation - it would've been safe to assume that they don't come into the office each day with nothing to do, and we haven't heard from the XCOM half of the building in quite a long time. But it's something you're free to draw as much speculation from as you like.

BTW, so as to not derail this thread, I'm about to create another thread about my Firaxicon experience. You might want to reply to this or ask other questions there. :)

I think the reason why canada is overshadowed alot is because Canada does not have so not live very long throughout the ages, and have not yet done anything to be part of the history books to remember throughout the ages... like participates on wars, developed unique machines, technology, or anything innovative to actually make the nation have a strong point of a good and high reputation... Canada reminds passive and didn't really do much ever since...

hell I don't even know much about canada or it's history from school, that's how bad it is.

I am a proud Canadian. Its true we have a slightly shorter history then a lot of countries. We have had are defining moments.
Do I feel slighted by the Civ Series? Absolutely not. If I really want to use a Canadian Civ, I will download a mod. I do hope that one day, we will be included in a version of Civ, but I will not lose any sleep if we are not.

Top Bottom