Fitted Irrigation

Mr. Hyperbole said:
Would anyone happen to have an in-game preview of these new graphics set beside cities? The reason I ask is that right now I use Niessuh's extended irrigation(my favorite :p ) ...the problem is that they all overlap over the cities. It's no big deal unless you're some sort of obsessive neat freak...[sigh]which I am...

I tried tweaking Niessuh's irrigation gfx last night but they came out nowhere near as well as Pounders...

I have noticed that the irrigation over laps the cities. It happens with all irrigation on the southwest side of the city. It is more noticable on the largest cities or if you are using over sized cities. It is just the order that things are laid down by the game.

The only way to fix it would be to use smaller cities or undersized irrigation.

You might think that it would be better if the cities were placed on the map last, but then they couldn't be partially hidden behind a hill or mountain.

It is a concession that you have to accept. (edit: spelling errors)

Mr. Hyperbole: Niessuh's irrigation, while good and certainly works for regular railroads, does not take into account roads and railroads with houses and buildings on them... Towns develop around roads and railroads, so I like to have little buildings along the roads.

Pounder said:
I have noticed that the irrigation over laps the cities. It happens with all irrigation on the southwest side of the city. It is more noticable on the largest cities or if you are using over sized cities. It is just the order that things are laid down by the game.

The only way to fix it would be to use smaller cities or undersized irrigation.

You might think that it would be better if the cities were placed on the map last, but then they couldn't be partially hidden behind a hill or mountain.

It is a concession that you have to accept.

Thanks, Pounder...I was afraid that might be the case. Oh well, hopefully Civ IV will allow a little more variation...

Dom Pedro II said:
Mr. Hyperbole: Niessuh's irrigation, while good and certainly works for regular railroads, does not take into account roads and railroads with houses and buildings on them... Towns develop around roads and railroads, so I like to have little buildings along the roads.

Sorry DP II...guess I misinterpreted your earlier post...

Dom Pedro II said:
I think it would be really nice if some ambitious person wanted to make a terrain package that had houses and other buildings on roads, railroads, and irrigation that aligned so that you didn't have railroads on top of houses, but that houses on the roads/railroads might fit perfectly over the irrigation houses so that you don't see them anymore.

I have about a month and a half left on my PSP trial period and I'll take a look at that. I can't promise anything though...when I brought up the rail gfx alone I saw what had to be two or three dozen tiles to adjust :twitch:

I seem to recall that Niessuh, at one time, was working on adding buildings to his rails...I would assume that he would make it fit his irrigation... :hmm:

BTW, Pounder...these look really good... :goodjob:

I tried, but I can't save enough time to do it :(
I saw that hex game yesterday:
http://www.battlesinnormandy.com/
It will be great to use those non-orthogonal fields, but the limits between tiles should be extremely precise

Attachments

• BocageBreakthrough.jpg
    BocageBreakthrough.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,202
Pounder, I've downloaded your Irrigation graphics sans buildings (otherwise they'd be too hard to diferentiate from the Farm Village bonus resource I'm using), and added them to the Final Fantasy mod. They look great and don't seem to overlap the city graphics as much as Niessuhs did.

In-game preview:

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 1,016
Sorry to bump this somewhat old thread, but I've created some Tundra Irrigation graphics to go along with this pack. Basically, I just combined the trees/hedges from Pounder's Plains irrigation, and the tundra irrigation from Snoopy's Terrain X.

Attachments

• irrigation TUNDRA.pcx
    64.4 KB · Views: 444

I have been making a an alternate fitted irrigation. The edges blend with the terrain a bit better. I tweaked a couple things.

The biggest change is the way the irrigation has been further segmented. This allows the terrain type to been seen better through the irrigation, incase you have trouble determining the difference between grass and plains, even though the grass irrigation is darker.

This may sometimes be a better fit with some roads and railroads as well.

I have only done the plains and grassland so far, actally I'm not sure that the desert and tundra will have to be done as the desert is already some of that going on and the tundra is only for scenarios.

Tell me what you think.

Unzip and goes in (includes Hikaro Takayama's tundra irrigation):

C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Art\Terrain

Don't forget to backup originals.

Attachments

• version2fittedirrigation.zip
    153 KB · Views: 860
It looks very cool... I'd probably use it I guess... I personally don't use the first version yet... Can't really recall why, now that I think about it... o_O

Top Bottom