FIXED_GEM_ preset_No_Custom_Civs

Posting some more screenshots of different areas that are being developed. Rivers are not done yet, and I haven't decided how to do the desert areas yet, as most are dunes but in real life they are high deserts, rocky areas, etc. Will be trying to incorporate rocky, jagged, and wasteland into the equations. For the Mediterranean climate I am using either plains or scrub with the savanna or tall grass plant feature. Steppe will be plains with tall grass, lush is a combo of both temperature and rainfall to make it unique from grasslands. Cold rainforest will be lush or marsh or muddy with Alpine forest. Southern coast of New Zealand or British Columbia would be examples of this.
More to come. Also did a rough draft on the fertile crescent area and my attempt on Iran/Persia. Moved the starting location of Sumerian to Babylon/Bagdad area.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0058.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0058.JPG
    435.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Civ4ScreenShot0061.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0061.JPG
    483.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Civ4ScreenShot0057.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0057.JPG
    304.4 KB · Views: 94
A couple before and after shots.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0063.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0063.JPG
    323.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Civ4ScreenShot0060.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0060.JPG
    327.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Civ4ScreenShot0062.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0062.JPG
    331.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Civ4ScreenShot0059.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0059.JPG
    316.5 KB · Views: 87
95% done with Africa, Europe, ME, Australia. Will start on Asia which is the hardest to do. Once that is done I will post the WB save and let the developers do their thing. I can work on the N&S America later and will love feedback from the players.
Here is some screenshots from Australia.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0066.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0066.JPG
    405.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Civ4ScreenShot0067.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0067.JPG
    402.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Civ4ScreenShot0068.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0068.JPG
    400.8 KB · Views: 116
Very nice! I'm looking forward to play a campaign once your version is finished.

Some major changes I have in mind:
Old world start only. Australia and New Zealand is ocean squared off. N&S America empty of civs. >>> Mostly to increase turn speeds and make the colonial period actually count. Also it makes all the civs start close to each other and increases early conflicts. The goal is to get a GEM map you can play into the renaissance and still have decent turn times.
40 civ starts. Europe 10 civs, Africa 9 civs, Middle east 5, Asia 16 . I always play "start as minor" and would recommend this in this map. It becomes a race to tribalism, which hits around 12~11kBC in most of my games so far.
terrain damage on, which I would love increased for this GEM2.0 mod, dunes and ice should be 34%, desert, taiga, and tundra should be 25%
I added mountains in certain areas, reduced mountains to hills in others. There is definitely something missing between hills and mountains. Like a usable mountain from the start, but not the impassible mountains which I play turned on with mountaineering. Not sure if the modders can add another terrain feature or not. I am in the process of converting the old GEM map into using all the new terrain features in the current c2c game. No more endless plains and grasslands. Currently I am using Biome maps, average rainfall maps, vegetation maps, satellite maps, topographic maps, and the Koppen-Geiger climate classification maps. The map look legit real now. Changed some rivers and removed some islands.
Moved starting points to real life locations, not locations that were picked purely for balance and spacing. Starts will not be equal, not everyone gets stone, copper, and iron. Deal with it. Certain civs will be easier to play than others. Your can pick your difficulty level by both setting the level or by your civ choice.
That is it. It will take me a bit to do this. I work a bunch but I will find time to get this down. I will post more info and the world builder save soon. Hopefully someone can mod it to allow 40 civs, as I have 0 modding skills beyond the Map world builder.
Thanks
Jeremy

One question; does this mean the Americas does not have horses? The map as it is now does, and it would be more realistic if they didn't.

Also, sorry if I sound like a complainer but I'm disappointed in the removal of the native american civilizations. Part because they're people too who deserve a chance(The game is about making your own history after all) but also the challenge in building a civilization and outcompeting the others with the aforementioned absence of horses.

One question; does this mean the Americas does not have horses? The map as it is now does, and it would be more realistic if they didn't.

Also, sorry if I sound like a complainer but I'm disappointed in the removal of the native american civilizations. Part because they're people too who deserve a chance(The game is about making your own history after all) but also the challenge in building a civilization and outcompeting the others with the aforementioned absence of horses.
North America didn't have native horses once humans had shown up there. There are NA cultures that require them but that's what great farmers are for

Doing the Indian subcontinent currently. I see no problem with doing 1 scenario with a full world start, as the 5civ on I'm currently working with has all the civs needed for the New World. The only one that would not be placed right would be the incas as as the redone Andes are in the way.
I now envision 3 scenarios with GEM2.0
1 Old World as was originally planned minus the rule changes
1 Full world start , same as above.
1 old world start, aka. GEM2.0ES Earth simulator. This feature would have certain features locked or changed, an would be my best attempt to create a civ game that mirrors our current world.

Last edited:
I was looking over some of the other threads and I see I am not the only one that wants a nomadic start to the game. Tribalism should be the first time you can build a permanent city. Sedentary life should be when you can expand past your first city. Tying this in with GEM, my longterm goal is to have a game where everyone starts in Africa, 200k years ago. The "tribe" units grows and can shrink in size as it has a population value to it. Tech is still researched; and temporary settlements can be formed, maybe after shelter building. The key here is that the terrain tiles change over time. As the ice age get larger until approx 115kBC, then there is an interglacial period, which the world was warmer at this time, then you have another ice age forms. Sea levels go up and down, different routes open up then close. Maybe your civ nation isn't set until you settle your first permanent city, then based on your location, you civ is assigned. I not sure if these sort of ideas are out of the scope of this game.
This is my idea for GEM3.0ES (Earth Simulator)

I was looking over some of the other threads and I see I am not the only one that wants a nomadic start to the game. Tribalism should be the first time you can build a permanent city. Sedentary life should be when you can expand past your first city. Tying this in with GEM, my longterm goal is to have a game where everyone starts in Africa, 200k years ago. The "tribe" units grows and can shrink in size as it has a population value to it. Tech is still researched; and temporary settlements can be formed, maybe after shelter building. The key here is that the terrain tiles change over time. As the ice age get larger until approx 115kBC, then there is an interglacial period, which the world was warmer at this time, then you have another ice age forms. Sea levels go up and down, different routes open up then close. Maybe your civ nation isn't set until you settle your first permanent city, then based on your location, you civ is assigned. I not sure if these sort of ideas are out of the scope of this game.
This is my idea for GEM3.0ES (Earth Simulator)
It's been in devel for a while. We've had a few team disagreements on how to do it but I have a fairly solid plan and one of the steps of implementing it was Size Matters. Anyhow, it's definitely a major project that's been in the works for quite a while now. It WILL be a thing I swear.

The Earth change simulations is a second part to that project that is definitely something that would be a major thing to accompany it.

This has been in planning for so long I could really talk a novel about the plan.

Here is some updated pics, India is done along with paki/afghan area. Started on china than got sidetracked with North America. The western US had been bothering me for a bit so I fixed it. Might as well do the rest of North America while I'm there. Asia is proving a challenge. Will need to change the city spacing rule for the simulator scenario as you need to allow 1 space cities, not just 2. Certain spots on the map are tight.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0069.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0069.JPG
    422.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Civ4ScreenShot0070.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0070.JPG
    473.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Civ4ScreenShot0071.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0071.JPG
    438.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Civ4ScreenShot0072.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0072.JPG
    429.2 KB · Views: 92
With 200,000 BC as starting date, it would not be more realistic - the horse didn't die out there until about 13,000 years ago, and indeed North America seems to be the original home of the horse (see https://www.livescience.com/9589-surprising-history-america-wild-horses.html).
It really blew my mind when I was shown on my Discord that the Americas has horses very recently, and that they never went extinct at all. (https://indiancountrytoday.com/news...fore-the-settlers-came-JGqPrqLmZk-3ka-IBqNWiQ)

Reactions: tmv
The save i posted here is no longer working, is there a way to "fix" it to load on new svn?

Thanks. I deleted old save and posted an ongoing campaign near Medieval era.

Thanks. I deleted old save and posted an ongoing campaign near Medieval era.
By the way is your spawn infos file is updated?
Its most likely outdated for V41 and SVN users.

There were tons of tweaks since this file was uploaded.

The spawn file is working fine, I kept it updated.
Are you sure? Because there is tons of differences, not just shifted longitudes to fit your map.

If you did more changes, then not sure which ones are intentional.

Top Bottom